Who besides me also likes warm white lights (3000k)?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
3000-3500K is a bit too warm in general, but out in the wilderness it's very nice. I consider 4000-5000K to be the best overall.

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone got some beamshots of LEDs in the 3000-4000k range? Can you still get High CRI as you approach 3000k?

Yes, thankfully, as the most common residential lightbulbs are 2700K, the same as a standard incandescent. Several of the Felt brand bulbs that Costco sells are 90+ CRI, and I also found some of the same at Lowes recently. Most LED bulbs are around 80 CRI, but then again, that's better than most flashlights.

My taste in flashlights is more neutral, but in low light situations where glare can be annoying, warm lights are awesome.

Theodore41

Enlightened
Cool white for a thrower,and warm tint for a smaller EDC light. Honestly I am not that fussy,most of my lights are cool white tint.

It is not about something we like or dislike,but about what color can our eyes see.
If we search about,we see that, "This curve peaks at 555 nanometers, which means that under normal lighting conditions, the eye is most sensitive to a yellowish-green color".Something way far from 3000°K.
https://www.google.gr/search?q=colo...firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=-RADWMTtBMfc8Affw72ABw

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Green is not on the cool warm spectrum. Typically blue is a dark color and yellow is a bright color so we see better with warm neutral than we do with cool blue. Although manufacturers can extract more lumens out of cool white emitters which more than offsets cool vs warm most of the time for brightness.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our eyes evolved to favor sunlight which is in the 5000k range during the day but the difference being the sun outputs all the colors where most LEDs fall flat outputting colors which makes things look like crap at least compared to the full spectrum of the sun. Incandescent lights output a full spectrum as well but them being 2700kish makes things seem overly warm compared to our sunlight adapted eyes.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like warm , walking out side i find it much easier to see with my armytek warm than my pd35 for instance. Thing is, we still dont get much choice, after i decide on a light with the form factor i want and the levels i need with the ui i can get on with i just have to use the tint it comes in .

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the chart below, take note of the faint dotted line, labeled BBL.. pretend this is the ideal line that sunlight, or incandescent light bulbs would follow.

example,
5S is a Yellow tinted 4000k (warm leds from zebralight tend to fall in this range), while 5A4 is a rose Tinted 4000k (nichia leds tend to fall in this category). And nichias tend to be higher CRI than the "warm" leds that we get in a Zebra or a Thrunite (in this case warm is being used to mean 4000k. In other circumstances the word warm refers to 3000k).

Tint is only part of the story, for me, CRI is the real meat of the matter…

On the chart below in regard to flashlight LEDs
Cooler (higher) Color Temperature, is associated with Higher Brightness, and Lower CRI
Warmer (lower) Color Temperature, is asociated with Lower Brightness, and Higher CRI)
JahGqedwIc_b_BqeKy0btp8NDyzVrmlqNRvU7_k8TEUHjrriHqwQz1RWqzix4mJMY9z5t4GT1X1TmebIPwaSpw59l0L4PzlVn3CJ58WNvpFbfuPLRRAQ24yeRgjraRYjQAOjzzBLEj7y524PvXomMCThgtaTu9esas3gkatyDo_DXBpjHktCy0EHW5_fiq1GmvxoutyIgp5bQ0RaviUJomR9YqUrt6ze3sZjMUXJQCWfV533IntkQB4ndkEl2MOTZbvRAsAV1J-9EAUx8_tSzQKRyUMZHzq4WAmIRw3VB2XLiCOUd71R21PpwNEoH_swfeffs-9Z_H67wLT9l6B6a1PMEZXxNLSFzrpcog6yXIm8I7X4Wjgd3zGrg_RjGN2CG_iUMKW-hD13NoG7g3gW-GHpepewsCb3-Ozs4l0QFwif8zrXz4mfTQKLE8ugO-P0MJuysa3TEZwqezGpDTPwKPuKvZq9ihgKe6CXXJPn56g-shw7PbEUBUKk6KA2xmx1FY0MeVLyVNtEiXJ_qBEHf6XP7CS5HAQPfY4TyZu81Nm9yP75WpaJ-24ojbr-HreHwstU0BNv7Nlzt40GNpQZVO4V-5toy6bnxuIoeAK7kC6V6Po1=w1319-h910-no

bykfixer

Flashaholic
According to the ADA a person who is losing their eyesight over time... not focus but actual sight...
Yellow is the last color they can still see before darkness sets in.
That is why those pads on handicap ramps at corners are yellow. They allow red pads when a community elects to use those but yellow is the Oh-fishal ADA approved color for that reason.

So it stands to reason a yellowish tint will be more pleasing to the eye with a redish not far behind. Probably why so many prefer the rosey 219B tint.

Green on the other hand has yellow in it. That lends a hand in see-ing things better in the given scenario, but the blue part is possibly why folks don't dig on a green tint instinctively.

In my work I have to deal with flashing blues, reds, pinks, orange, mega bright spotlights and varying combinations of lighting that on the surface drive inexperienced people nuts. Strobe pergitory.
But you get used to it in time. That is why PWM doesn't bother me or why cool white is my favorite tint when I absolutely need to see something in detail but...

When it's dark and I'm out on a peaceful jaunt with star gazing on the menu I prefer the tint of an incadecent flashlight. It's just more instinctively relaxing.

Last edited:

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
I prefer NW (4500K) and I'm comfortable with the 4000-5000K range, tending towards the warmer end (I chose the ZL H600Fc over the H600Fd). If there was a choice between 3000K and and a CW like 6500K I would take the warm light no question.

Lithium466

Enlightened
My edc is 3500°K and 95 CRI, I'm so used to it now I find cooler lights waayy too cold, same think with household led bulbs...

Lithium466

Enlightened
I was mistaken, it is in fact a 3000°K led, Philips Luxeon LXW9-PW30. I thought it was 3500°K but I reviewed my orders and it is indeed this one. Now wonder I find many lights "too cold" !
They have a 3500°K but it is only 85 CRI typical. Or you have to go Osram with the Oslon series to get 3500°K and 95/96 CRI typical I think.

The light itself is a modded HDS clicky, started its life as a 120 clicky (v2, Osram golden dragon), now with the Luxeon it has a very pleasant beam with a tight hotspot (not as tight as the original Golden dragon led but tighter than HDS with Nichia 219 or XP-G2 led). Not powerful at all, but I don't need more, and I don't think you choose the HDS route when you are seeking high power (even if there is a world between my modded 120 (shouldn't event put more than ~100 lumens now)and the current 250 or 325).

mico

Newly Enlightened
4000k.

I too chose the ZL H600Fc (it even seems a little warmer than my other 'c' rated lights). Indoors I adore it.
Whilst I also prefer the colours outside, I'm still finding anything under 5000k to appear to have less contrast to my eyes...bugs me.