Why do Americans put the date the wrong way around?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do the same a lot of the time. Some people always use variations of a theme, and updates aren't too jarring.

Mine changing from mostly red to blue is weirding me out - I can't even find my own posts any more!

nbp

Flashaholic
I do the same a lot of the time. Some people always use variations of a theme, and updates aren't too jarring. Mine changing from mostly red to blue is weirding me out - I can't even find my own posts any more!

Yeah that switch is gonna take me a while to get used to. :huh:

Imagine if StarHalo got rid of noodle cat or gunga changed Opus? It messes me all up!

I didn't notice much when Norm changed his 'cuz I don't read his posts anyways. :nana:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah that switch is gonna take me a while to get used to. :huh:

Imagine if StarHalo got rid of noodle cat or gunga changed Opus? It messes me all up!

I didn't notice much when Norm changed his 'cuz I don't read his posts anyways. :nana:

:crackup:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had a top of 48 or 49 during bushfires a couple of years ago, that's about 120F :devil:

Norm

We had relatives from Australia visiting when a snow storm hit. We were preparing for power outages.
It was new for my young nephew. His father explained it was just like preparing for brush fires at home except there was no need to gather firewood to stay warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had relatives from Australia visiting when a snow storm hit. We were preparing for power outages.
It was new for my young nephew. His father explained it was just like preparing for brush fires at home except there was no need to gather firewood to stay warm.

.......and it's a lot more fun building snowmen and having snowball fights than catching on fire.

~ Chance

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually driving on the right is more common than driving on the left.

11427204283_98d8955d68_z.jpg

Norm

Interesting graphic. This is an interesting topic-standards that affect economics.

Would not "being in the minority of nations to drive on left", make car importation and exportation more expensive? Unless you had an active automotive industry with nothing that the world wished to own, I don't see the this policy makes any sense.

By simplifying standards, you can save a nation billions annually in educational costs. I can only imagine how much the French spend annually to teach genders of words, the Spanish on complex grammar, the Chinese on symbols, and the US on spelling exceptions. I have been beating my head into the wall the last 4 months trying to teach my daughter that me is spelled "me" and not "mee".

I do like my inches and feet, since there is an anatomical equivalents to these measurements.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting graphic. This is an interesting topic-standards that affect economics.

Would not "being in the minority of nations to drive on left", make car importation and exportation more expensive? ....

I do like my inches and feet, since there is an anatomical equivalents to these measurements.

No one could calculate the injuries and death resulting from visitors from a 'right side of the road' country driving in a 'left side of the road' country, and vice versa. But realistically, if Australia and other 'leftist' countries somehow decided to join the world driving on the right side, how many injuries and death would result from that change?

Many of us have a thumb that is one inch wide at the joint; very handy (thumby?) as well as a foot that is a foot (12 inches) long. I think that is what degarb was talking about.

For measurements less than an inch (unless it is half inch, maybe a quarter), it is better to use mm. The only problem for me is having to visualize mm's. Being familiar with 9mm firearms... And aren't cigarettes about 100mm, or 10 cm? Those are the comparisons I remember. What do other people use to remember the less familiar units of measurement?

nbp

Flashaholic
It seems expensive for car manufacturers to have to retool and redesign for right hand drive versions of cars for just a couple countries. What a waste of money! I don't understand why that wouldn't be the first thing to standardize.

Norm

Retired Administrator
It seems expensive for car manufacturers to have to retool and redesign for right hand drive versions of cars for just a couple countries. What a waste of money! I don't understand why that wouldn't be the first thing to standardize.
When you look carefully the basic shell of modern cars they are ambidextrous and a minimum of parts are needed to build a car that is left or right hand drive. I'm not sure if US built cars are, but that seems to be the case for Asian manufactured cars.
A bit like TVs in the past a set was made to suit the TV standards and power supply of a certain country, (NZ even had a different standard to Aus.), seems now all TVs are multi standard and run from 100V up. Things are now built for a world market.

Norm

Last edited:

stemll

Newly Enlightened
Because we Yanks do things the right way and refuse to stick with tradition for the sake of sticking with tradition. We're innovators. It's the reason that a 235 year old country is responsible for the majority of technology in the past 100 years. Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way! ;-)

Really?

TV, jet engine, ballpoint pen, movie camera, loudspeaker, aerosol can, radar, helicopter, internal combustion engine, turboprop, kidney dialysis, WWW, touchpad, DNA profiling, iris recognition, RSA cipher (topical today), integrated circuit, stainless steel, CT scanner. How many american inventions in there?

Sure you could come up with a list of US inventions like the nuclear reactor, the zipper, artificial heart, lithium batteries (maybe) and so on but sorry, to claim the majority is laughable.

Capolini

Banned
11484017113_130801e1dc_z.jpg

Capo "My Siberian Husky" enjoying the snow,,,,,,,,,,,10.12.2013 or 12.10.2013,,,,as long as its snowing the Numerical order of the date makes no difference to him!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny and "transcendental" thread I found here!
As DM51 would say: resistance is futile.
Metric system, driving on the right side of the road, "ddmmyy" date format... that seems to be the logical POV but... I'm not sure.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I recall reading that when Sweden converted from driving on the left to driving on the right, there was a significant decrease in accidents for about a 12 month period. This was attributed to greater driver attention to driving as a result of the uncertainty caused by the switch.

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really?

TV, jet engine, ballpoint pen, movie camera, loudspeaker, aerosol can, radar, helicopter, internal combustion engine, turboprop, kidney dialysis, WWW, touchpad, DNA profiling, iris recognition, RSA cipher (topical today), integrated circuit, stainless steel, CT scanner. How many american inventions in there?

Sure you could come up with a list of US inventions like the nuclear reactor, the zipper, artificial heart, lithium batteries (maybe) and so on but sorry, to claim the majority is laughable.

It actually is true that the US led the world in inventions in the 20th century. Sure there are reasons like our harboring creativity, individuality, and the narrative of the individual coming up with a great invention to become the next millionaire. The real reason is the rest of the world blew up their industrial capacity with 2 world wars and got themselves into huge debt over it. It takes decades to recover. While the US cleaned up and filled the gap.

To invent you need free time, local small machine shops (to build your prototypes), zero regulations, cheap/strong intellectual rights, and someone locally to sell your product to (who won't steal the idea).

Now we are regulation crazy/insane, falling wages (means most of us have less free time), most machine shops in my area went under in last 2 decades, etc.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
When you look carefully the basic shell of modern cars they are ambidextrous and a minimum of parts are needed to build a car that is left or right hand drive. I'm not sure if US built cars are, but that seems to be the case for Asian manufactured cars.
A bit like TVs in the past a set was made to suit the TV standards and power supply of a certain country, (NZ even had a different standard to Aus.), seems now all TVs are multi standard and run from 100V up. Things are now built for a world market.

Norm
Automobile manufacturers seems to be standardizing on the concept of the "global car" that uses a standard chassis that can be localized for varying national markets at the lowest possible cost through the fewest component swaps possible. Production can occur anywhere with the capability to produce particular components/assemblies and available capacity. Given that US automakers have utilized standard platforms for years (ie, GM typically has <10 active platforms for its ~50 models available at any point in time), it would be shocking if they were not working on global cars for numerous platforms.

Last edited: