Why do you catch and release flashlights?

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Never sold a light.
I've gifted a few, but those were bought as gifts.
I've tried a few EDC's that I didn't fall in love with. Those become backups / emergency lights - put in a drawer or glove box for when it's really needed, particularly by someone other than myself (I always have a light in my pocket, after all.)
I keep getting P60 hosts and filing 'em with different modules. They're all different, but all useful, so I can't see parting with 'em. The only lights I could see selling off are a couple mass-produced ones which filled a need but now are duplicated or superceded by somehting I built myself from components. But those won't typically fetch enough to make it worthwhile, so I keep 'em to loan/share/abuse/use as backups.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was about to start a thread asking why some people did catch and release with a very short time interval between the two. I wasn't sure whether it was intended just to handle it for a short time, or the flashlight didn't meet expectations as soon as it arrived. I've given away some lights, but they tend to stay in my collection for quite a while, with an obvious successor. My Nitecore EC11 and HC30 are looking vulnerable now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good bump Mike

Many in my collection came from catch and release-rs.

I thank you all.

I think at some point I'll probably part with some. Probably to folks in the WTB section asking for a light I can help them with. Not long ago a wtb A2 popped up. I looked at my stock but by the time I had decided which to part with the op posted they found one.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I generally don't sell/trade my lights, guns or knives, except for a beautiful bright chrome Colt Officers ACP that just would never stop being a jam-O-matic. I eventually traded it, at a loss, for a NIB Sig 220.

That's it and I have a bunch of each.

Chris

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes you just have to try a light before you know it is for you. I tried two recently and realized while they are terrific lights they were not for me. Purchasing them used saves money in case you are not 100% sure.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes you just have to try a light before you know it is for you. I tried two recently and realized while they are terrific lights they were not for me. Purchasing them used saves money in case you are not 100% sure.

Agreed. I've bought and sold several lights in the attempt to refine my interest. Now that I've figured out what I want, I find that I sell less and less often. I'm quite sure I've acquired a few things that my lovely wife will be pawning off after I buy the farm...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I fully understand why folks set out after 'the one for them' kinda like that ideal hammer, inkpen or knife. But to me if it turns on when I push the button, good enough... then again I'm not above hammering a nail with a rock or writing with a chunk of charcoal if it fills the need.

BauerFive

Newly Enlightened
Personally I feel I don't have the luxury to keep trying different flashlights. I think this bleeds into my other purchases; I tend to do extensive research before pulling the trigger. Sometimes I have that mentality to 'trade up' but if I'm really happy with something I question if that trade-up is momentary and even if I could justify it -- am I just nitpicking negligible things?

Now if price wasn't an obstacle... well that's a different story.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Catch and Release?

I greedily keep them all! I'll never give up my sweet lights. They belong to me. All mine. Part of me is happy they lack feet and legs.... They can't run away. Well, one of my Inova microlights has legs. But I keep them folded up and in a pouch in my work-bag. So, not going anywhere. I love my lights. And my love is the smothering kind. I like to think they all enjoy it. Especially the used lights I buy from other members. I give them the love they need. :huh:

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't. I keep my lights forever. I still have Malkoff Modules, bodies I got during the first wave of popularity circa 2008-2010.

I only now recently began to get rid of my 'original' M-series in favor or latest-greatest Hound Dog, M61T, M61HOT, etc. They absolutely destroy the 10 year old modules.

I don't see myself selling my Hound Dogs anytime in the next 8-10 years, by which time I would think something so revolutionary happens that it won't make sense to keep those. Better lumens, efficiency, maybe tint or maybe the switch to the new battery format, that 21mm design Tesla talks about.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Don't they call that stalking?

Why do I keep the boxes new flashlights come in, if I'm unwilling to release?

No, no. Not stalking. Once a light, or a person, chooses to accept my love; they feel it close and constantly. but the choice is their's alone to make. (Or in the case of a light, if its owner chooses to sell it to me.) Nothing sinister happening at all.

Also, so few lights come with boxes, it's worth keeping those. It's not like fountain pens where even very inexpensive ones come with boxes.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man I just can't stand having more than like 6 lights aroun at once. Makes my brain get all feisty and wanting to unload some. But I'm exceptionally odd I think. I've had the same light multiple times and I've bought light literally the same light back from the person I sold it to as well, only to want to send it on again. My illness is tricky. I want what I think I need and will like, only to get it and realize I don't want it, even if I kind of like it. Hence, catch and release. I've given a lot of people some good deals and had some people return those favors to me. Going back to trying a zebralight SC53W which for a while was THE ONE. Now we shall see if absence makes the heart grow fonder or if the indecisive demons take hold and force me to make a WTS post.

Last edited:

Lumen83

Enlightened
I've never sold a light, but I am thinking about selling my first one. A surefire A2 Incandescent with white LEDs. I'm not really sure why I'm considering letting this one go. Its a safe queen in mint condition, and I like to use my lights. That is probably why.

scout24

Flashaholic
I, like some, am on the eternal quezt for the One True Light. I catch and release looking for the magical unicorn combination of size, shape, UI, level spacing, tint, CRI, body material, beam pattern, clip functionality, ruggedness, runtime, etc. etc. etc. For each kind of light I want. Keychain. SHTF. Thrower. Truck light. Edc. It's endless and cyclical. I do come back to a few classics over and over, and have really slowed down on purchases. But hope the quest never stops. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've never sold a light, but I am thinking about selling my first one. A surefire A2 Incandescent with white LEDs. I'm not really sure why I'm considering letting this one go. Its a safe queen in mint condition, and I like to use my lights. That is probably why.

I doubt you'll have any trouble selling it. Just think long and hard before you do.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I'm pretty certain most or all of my lights will either be buried along with my remains or handed down to the next generation as an inheritance. Haha! I usually won't buy a light unless I'm pretty certain I'll like it. I enjoy doing the research and I'm a bit of a tech spec junkie. It's definitely not just about lumens. I feel I make selective choices. I won't buy just anything, my taste has certainly evolved, and I know what I like. I feel each of my lights has qualities that make it truly unique in the collection, and help justify why each one is present.
Anything I might sell at this point would be old stuff I've realized I truly don't like anymore now that I've become much better enlightened. In general, the only lights that fall in this category are all there for the same crime: unpleasant tint and poor color rendition.