Why do you catch and release flashlights?

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beauty of tint is that it's usually in comparison to another light. So if your Zebra for example is looking a little green, shine it on a wall along with your modern Maglite or stylus pro. Now your green zebra lookin like a nice neutral! Hooray!
Green or blue usually gotta go.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The beauty of tint is that it's usually in comparison to another light. So if your Zebra for example is looking a little green, shine it on a wall along with your modern Maglite or stylus pro. Now your green zebra lookin like a nice neutral! Hooray!

But my comparison lights are incandescent :oops:

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, I like to try out all the different lights, and see how they are built. I like seeing the different build methods and such. Sometimes going a bit overboard and researching/learning way more than I need to, but I enjoy learning....

Lumen83

Enlightened
I doubt you'll have any trouble selling it. Just think long and hard before you do.

Thats the thing. I know it is a classic and I will probably want it back. But, I just don't like the white LEDs. They're too blue. So, the light just isn't practical. I guess that is why it is catch and release for me. If I could have one in red, I'd be happy. Or, if the white LEDs were neutral, I'd be happy. I know they make upgrades but I think they haven't been available in a while. I'm debating hard but the tint of the white LEDs might make this catch and release.

scout24

Flashaholic
See Koala's sales thread for his Onion Ring upgrade for the A2. Plenty of different easily replaceable LED choices for the A2. He's in Australia, and last I checked they were still available.

Lumen83

Enlightened
See Koala's sales thread for his Onion Ring upgrade for the A2. Plenty of different easily replaceable LED choices for the A2. He's in Australia, and last I checked they were still available.

Thanks for the tip!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I, like some, am on the eternal quezt for the One True Light. I catch and release looking for the magical unicorn combination of size, shape, UI, level spacing, tint, CRI, body material, beam pattern, clip functionality, ruggedness, runtime, etc. etc. etc. For each kind of light I want. Keychain. SHTF. Thrower. Truck light. Edc. It's endless and cyclical. I do come back to a few classics over and over, and have really slowed down on purchases. But hope the quest never stops. :)

Flashlights are like a wife. If you are willing to make compromises, that ideal one is out there.

Mrs. Fixer was not a spelling bee champ, so when I need help spelling words I know she may not be of help. Same with my 6P. If I need 100 yards of throw it probably won't help.

But a flashlight isn't as pretty, doesn't smell as nice and doesn't bail me outta jail.....
So I bought a G2x Pro.... (and use google to help me spell.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Flashlights are like keys, the "best" one is the one needed for the task at hand.

The few lights I've released were because I thought someone else would enjoy them more that I was.

~ Chance

Ah, true. All of my releases were lights I gave away because I felt others had a bigger need for them than I did.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Now that I can get my head around. I have "released" several for the same reason.

One year at Christmas my nephew's step son was bored to tears while the grown ups stood around ranting about work, the government or their other qualms in life. He kept playing with my favorite inspection light that was sitting on a coffee table.

At the time they were leaving I said "want that light David?, take it, it's yours, Merry Christmas"

That was the first time he had smiled all evening.