Why do you EDC?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many uses for me, but most often looking at labels when shopping...or menus when my wife drags me out to eat in dim restaurants.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Because I like torches. And because I've faced some nasty blackouts that only weren't worse for me because I had a torch handy, such as the 2009 Itaipu failure.

But mostly because I like torches.

I don't carry a flashlight because I'm afraid of being alone in the dark.

I carry a flashlight because I'm afraid of not being alone in the dark.
That too... :au:

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
The second is in case the first fails or gets lost (so you're prepared).

You forgot: the third one is because someone else is unprepared and will always ask you for one (or try to take it from you).

The third one is because I have so many lights I like to use that I can't settle on just carrying two. That's where we start getting into the somewhat less sane side of things.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
No one carry a whistle? It's better than screaming on top of your lungs.
I carry one on my safety vest at work because it's a heck of a lot louder than I am. One night at work I saw a worker was about to be hit by a car. I yelled and yelled to no avail. Luckily a guy next to me was a loud person. I tapped him, showed him what was happening as I turned away not wanting to see the guy be killed. He hollered out and at the last second dude jumped out of the way.
7F7EC03C-8ED8-4ECB-949C-AC54B9D3D4E8.jpeg

The worker was standing where the car collided with the truck.

AE3A5705-0938-47AE-B0D0-3A821985DBBE.jpeg

Right is the worker who was very happy to be alive.
To his left was the guy he bowled over as he dove out of the way.

Next night I began to carry a plastic whistle.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry one on my safety vest at work because it's a heck of a lot louder than I am. One night at work I saw a worker was about to be hit by a car. I yelled and yelled to no avail. Luckily a guy next to me was a loud person. I tapped him, showed him what was happening as I turned away not wanting to see the guy be killed. He hollered out and at the last second dude jumped out of the way.
View attachment 35818
The worker was standing where the car collided with the truck.

View attachment 35817
Right is the worker who was very happy to be alive.
To his left was the guy he bowled over as he dove out of the way.

Next night I began to carry a plastic whistle.
When I commuted to work on a motorcycle, had one of these mounted on my handlebars.
Gets drivers attention when needed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221206-171736.png
    Screenshot_20221206-171736.png
    643.4 KB · Views: 60

Poppy

Flashaholic
A year or two ago, my daughter and I swapped cars for the day. My EDC is attached to my keychain. While shopping in Walmart, a power outage occurred! A flashaholic's dream scenario. Unfortunately for me, I didn't have MY keychain, but rather my daughter's.

What really amazed me, is that I would not have been the hero of the day. Within seconds the store was being lit up by people with their cell phones. After that, I moved my cell phone light app to the front screen of my phone.