Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stand corrected with the flashing button being worthless on the pro. I am in the Tipi with woodstove running on the AT. Weathered the storm last night. So anyways had the headlamp ceiling bouncing for area light. Noticed the flashing turning yellow and then redder. Changed battery which is good as have walk outside soon. The battery only has enough power to push this phone up 2% with the Lii100.

Definitely not useless when it warns of a nearly depleted cell, but until then, a flash of bright green every 5 seconds letting the user know the cell is good? Now that's useless.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I can see, their problem seems to be a quality control issue, rather than durability. Some folks have had multiple lights fail after relatively little use or small drops. Most of the rest of us seem to be able to put them through the ringer without issue.

I constantly forget I have my Tiara headlamp on if I'm wearing it over a stocking cap. As a result of then removing my stocking cap without thinking, it's had probably about ten 6+ foot drops onto hard laminate or concrete surfaces. Every time I hear that "clunk!" my first thought isn't, "I hope my headlamp is ok," but rather, "I hope I didn't dent the new floors."

The feel of the light and experience so far really inspire a lot of confidence for me.

But Armytek needs to get a handle on both their quality control and their customer service experience. It's pretty obvious here how much frustration there is with that, and they've got stiff competition from Zebralight, Olight, Manker, and even budget brands like Skilhunt.

I completely get why this frustrates people, but in my opinion, it's better in some ways than what most companies do - I had to send a camera back to Canon at one point. Had they been unable to reproduce the problem it was having, they would have billed me for shipping and handling and something like a $40 fee just to look at it.

At least this way, you can get agreement there is a problem with the light before spending money on it.

Of course, not all problems will show up in video - hence part of the frustration.

I love the body build quality, love the doubled o rings, the deep reflector and head design (predator), the anodizing, the threads, the tube wall thickness...
The overall effect is great engineering, imo, especially with a 2x 18650 tube (predator).

I've have the persistent feeling that a sweet turn key operation was turned over to new management, and that corners were then cut in the basic components and labor areas. Shear speculation, just a hayseed speculating about the moon and cheese.
I think the body design is top notch.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Winter camp? One of the best times to be out in the wild. We had 8" in Weston CT - where on the AT are you?
The UI on ArmyTek has always been my favorite. Just need to take a spare along whenever I'm way out in the field...

Actually in a Cornwell right now. Getting ready to turn in for the night. I have an Armytek XHP-50 Pro, Nextorch E51 and Nitecore lantern. Oddly I survived the weekend and still alive. Armytek and Nitecore.... Just like that..... LOL!

puglife

Newly Enlightened
i love my wizards pro (v3 xhp50 and v2 cri90 pro), since i've got them my other lights are pretty much useless.. but the v2 runs hot on the last mode, i try not to use it a lot in fear of burning the LED :sweat:(but its a nice hands warmer in the winter)

I don't really care of the writing, i use my lights when it's dark.. so i don't see them ;) They don't have failed me (yet) but i would definitively buy another one if they broke, i just wish they had a better QC , then it would be the almost perfect light :wave:

wweiss

Enlightened
Actually in a Cornwell right now. Getting ready to turn in for the night. I have an Armytek XHP-50 Pro, Nextorch E51 and Nitecore lantern. Oddly I survived the weekend and still alive. Armytek and Nitecore.... Just like that..... LOL!

Glad you survived - and have the minimum required light backups. There is nothing quite like camping in evening snow and waking to a bright winter wonderland. Assuming of course, your shelter is secure, bedroll was warm and dry and the fire still has some embers...

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always wanted to try an Armytek. They are one of the few manufacturers who offer a wide variety of AA lights but the very inconsistent quality and customer service that I have read about always kept me away.

When I first came to the forums the Predator models were held in high regards as a solid built, reliable light, with very efficient drivers. As time went on though this seemed to slip away and the table seemed to turn upside.I would honestly like to give them a chance but at ~$60 for the AA model I want it is a bit of gamble when I know my Fenix's will take whatever I throw at them and if they do fail Fenix Outfitters will take care of me.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
When an Armytek light goes bad, it's unclear whether the cause is poor circuit design, low quality components, poor manufacturing, careless assembly, bad QC, or a combination of those factors.

V2.5 Predator and Viking appear to be the peak for those models. The current gen Predator and Viking is undeniably the result of "value engineering," which might be an euphemism.

ChibiM

Enlightened
Armytek is one of the brands that I have never owned. I might have to get my hands on some to try them out myself!

MX421

Enlightened
I really liked the features touted by Armytek, so i got a few of them awhile back from a few different sources. Have not had an issue with my regular Armytek flashlights of which a have a few. However, i have had issues with 3 out of the four headlamps i bought. One was returned successfully through a dealer, the other was sent to a dealer, but got lost in the mail, and the last was through Armytek where they requested a video. I had a lot going on and couldn't hassle with it at the time. The only headlamp that worked is still working, but i don't trust it like i do my Zebralights. BTW, i did have a Zebralight go out on me and it was (barely) under warranty. Just sent it in and they fixed it and sent it back, no hassle.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always wanted to try an Armytek. They are one of the few manufacturers who offer a wide variety of AA lights but the very inconsistent quality and customer service that I have read about always kept me away.

When I first came to the forums the Predator models were held in high regards as a solid built, reliable light, with very efficient drivers. As time went on though this seemed to slip away and the table seemed to turn upside.I would honestly like to give them a chance but at ~$60 for the AA model I want it is a bit of gamble when I know my Fenix's will take whatever I throw at them and if they do fail Fenix Outfitters will take care of me.

If you want to reduce the amount of money at stake, watch for sales. It seems a couple times a year, they offer some really good pricing on a handful of models. Sooner or later, there's a good chance one you're interested in will come up.

ven

Flashaholic
Had a couple of armyteks, both the pro v2.5 versions. Viking cool which i have no more, too cold for me although i did like the beam pattern. Still in my possession is the predator pro v2.5 warm..............damn i do love this light. Real nice quality all round, ano is excellent and love the matte black(i do keep away from all things oily and greasy). I like the way i can select what level and lock it at that, so i have a medium level mainly used. The high is just a quick head twist away. I can click it as many times as i want, always stays in that mode. So for this light, i do like the fact you have to loosen/tighten head to change modes. Now i will admit i have never got the hang of the programming..................honestly i just cant be bothered nor have interest anymore. I am happy as is anyway. To me from what i have read, its pretty obvious something has happened QC wise since the v2.5. Maybe Stevie Wonder works on the QC line, who knows. But i have read enough to not give me confidence in investing in a new version(not matter how tempting.........and it is!). So my very tiny experience has been good and issue free, if i have a failure then as said, a good company shows in how it handles customers. Cant comment here as i have not had to.

A way to protect the buyer is buy from a reputable shop, one where its easy to return any faulty goods without shipping overseas for weeks...........months! If i want an armytek, i will not buy direct, just as i wont with zebralight. So no singling out for me, i just want a level of protection if i am spending ~$100/£80 or so.

Agree or not, i can see where some manufacturers require a video, a lot can be lost in interpretation...............no doubt a lot can be fixed without sending off! Not all armytek customers are seasoned flashaholics, so from 1000's of sales world wide, some kind of system needs to be used to protect the manufacturer along with potentially saving a customer sending off and without a lights for month/s.

New drivers, new LED's, always seeking higher outputs to keep up with the lumen demand. More efficient drivers to keep things running as high and as long as possible . Maybe a catch 22, wait and do too much testing and the latest LED is out and you look left in the dark by other manufacturers. Rush out and risk many potential issues from fails..............Of course more to it, but its not really a business i would be too confident in and hats off to the small companies who make a success of it! . On CPF we are the most demanding and dedicated customer, we want more than just a light! :)

ixzmMXpl.jpg

Last edited:

SKV89

Enlightened
I have an Armytek Wizard Pro v3 XPL WW and it has a beautiful tint that is better than any of my other head lamps. The build quality is excellent and just twisting the cap in place you can feel how much nicer/smoother it is than other flashlights yet it is not heavily lubed. I've found lumen test that shows some AT lights actually exceed or very close to their advertised lumens, which is not common in this industry.

However, their god awful customer service, or lack-of customer service, scares a lot of customers away. I was trying to buy a bunch of Armytek flashlights that were on sale because I liked the quality of my Wizard so much but couldn't even. You can see my post here.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?443962-Armytek-doesn-t-ship-to-US-anymore

AT makes good products but if they want a successful business, they first need to improve on their customer service.

jonathanluu2

Newly Enlightened
Why do I avoid ArmyTek now?
A) I have had a Wizard Pro replaced 4 times
A1) XML-2. Original purchase, right when the first Wizards hit the market. Driver had an issue from day 1. No need for video to return though.
A2) XML-2 HI CRI. Replacement took ~1mo, but they covered shipping. One of the first HI CRI 18650 headlamps.
A3) XML-2 Warm. Same as above, but this time the driver only partially died, only working in some modes.
A4) XHP-50 Warm. Was so exited for upped output, one of the first XHP-50 18650 headlamps. Died the day I got it after running on turbo in a bucket of water.
A5) XHP-50 Warm. Replacement of the above, currently works and is a dedicated bike light untillll...??​
B) Bought a warm XHP-50 version for a friend and THEY had issues with the driver and had to replace it.
C) Tacky "nascar" writing has gotten worse
D) I have had a Zebralight since before Armytek was around and the light has endured near the same abuse, yet has still held up.
E) Their new form factor on the Wizard pro's just looks...odd.
F) I will agree with others that something can be said about marketing your product at a price and saying, "This is our price, and thats final." All the sales and promotions with cheesy emails just ends up sounding desperate.

I had to video document every dead light after the first replacement, but I received a free (albeit delayed) upgrade every time, so I didnt take issue with it much. I will admit, I use headlamps exclusively, so I have not tried any of their flashlights, so I am biased. I use one of Zebralights HI CRI XHP-50 models now, but will miss:

1) ArmyTek UI
2) Magnetic tailcap
3) Matte Anodizing
4) Blinking voltage indicator (my surviving model only blinks when initially turned on, and subsequently when the voltage begins to dip.)
5) Armytek always seemed to be on the cusp of innovation with the headlamps, but their driver issues dissolved my trust in them, and now Zebralight has an edge on the market with new LED tech.

Last edited:

wweiss

Enlightened
Why do I avoid ArmyTek now?
A) I have had a Wizard Pro replaced 4 times
A1) XML-2. Original purchase, right when the first Wizards hit the market. Driver had an issue from day 1. No need for video to return though.
A2) XML-2 HI CRI. Replacement took ~1mo, but they covered shipping. One of the first HI CRI 18650 headlamps.
A3) XML-2 Warm. Same as above, but this time the driver only partially died, only working in some modes.
A4) XHP-50 Warm. Was so exited for upped output, one of the first XHP-50 18650 headlamps. Died the day I got it after running on turbo in a bucket of water.
A5) XHP-50 Warm. Replacement of the above, currently works and is a dedicated bike light untillll...??​
B) Bought a warm XHP-50 version for a friend and THEY had issues with the driver and had to replace it.
C) Tacky "nascar" writing has gotten worse
D) I have had a Zebralight since before Armytek was around and the light has endured near the same abuse, yet has still held up.
E) Their new form factor on the Wizard pro's just looks...odd.
F) I will agree with others that something can be said about marketing your product at a price and saying, "This is our price, and thats final." All the sales and promotions with cheesy emails just ends up sounding desperate.

I had to video document every dead light after the first replacement, but I received a free (albeit delayed) upgrade every time, so I didnt take issue with it much. I will admit, I use headlamps exclusively, so I have not tried any of their flashlights, so I am biased. I use one of Zebralights HI CRI XHP-50 models now, but will miss:

1) ArmyTek UI
2) Magnetic tailcap
3) Matte Anodizing
4) Blinking voltage indicator (my surviving model only blinks when initially turned on, and subsequently when the voltage begins to dip.)
5) Armytek always seemed to be on the cusp of innovation with the headlamps, but their driver issues dissolved my trust in them, and now Zebralight has an edge on the market with new LED tech.

Well written and on point - I feel the same way. Although I have had better luck with the 5 units I have of theirs.
The right question here is, "Would I trust AT enough to backpack only AT units into a 8 mile campsite in the Yellowstone wilderness?" "No, I would not."

Rifter

Enlightened
Well ive owned 2. Both are now broken, both are because their super tough potted drivers crapped out. After talking with armytek about it i was left with such little faith in their RMA system/process i decided to not even send them back.

IMO they are advertising their lights as being tactical and tough and trying to extract that level of pricing from people while offering nothing better than cheap china crap products as far as actual quality goes.

Id much rather spend $10 on a cheap convoy host, few bucks on a good driver, few bucks on a LED of my choice, spend 10 min putting it together and just use that.

As far as small sized EDC light i moved to O-light, cheaper and way better quality IMO.

TLDR they sell overpriced junk

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
they've made decisions and done "work" to earn their reputation here, they'll have to make new decisions and do some real work if they want a new one.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
they've made decisions and done "work" to earn their reputation here, they'll have to make new decisions and do some real work if they want a new one.
The need to make a video of a failing light to get an rma is a pita. I won't buy any more Armytek. Even more annoying is that some members didn't have to do a vid to get an rma. Nobody would go through the inconvenience and expense of sending back a light that works fine.