Why Not Use Rechargeable Batteries?

fred flinstone

Newly Enlightened
Realize this is an old thread but recently I made the same inquiry to Surefire concerning one of their lights,
I needed a certain dia size, they had it but only feed with alkaline or lithium, I asked why and was told the fancy electronics that kept the light at a steady output and multifuctional was engineered for 1.5 volts and would fry at 1.8 which I was told most rechargeable put out fresh.

I would assume (not an engineer), that with all the multiple function led beamers out there, and the tiny working space on board this is probably a pat reason. hope this helps someone who looks here first. If they state there is a special feed, probably best stick with it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Realize this is an old thread but recently I made the same inquiry to Surefire concerning one of their lights,
I needed a certain dia size, they had it but only feed with alkaline or lithium, I asked why and was told the fancy electronics that kept the light at a steady output and multifuctional was engineered for 1.5 volts and would fry at 1.8 which I was told most rechargeable put out fresh.

I would assume (not an engineer), that with all the multiple function led beamers out there, and the tiny working space on board this is probably a pat reason. hope this helps someone who looks here first. If they state there is a special feed, probably best stick with it.
1- Alkaline AA = 1.5-1.6v
2-Energizer Lithium AA primaries 1.8v (non rechargeable)
3-Nimh rechargeable AA 1.4v
4-Lithium ion rechargeable 3.7v (4.2v off the charger)

In other words Eneloops or other nimh should work and lithium primaries may work fine too as the voltage does drop under load.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I too am not an engineer but having read it a few times, I believe some products are designed to work around the cushion of batteries under load. Example is the alkaline states 1.5 volts but largely produces 1.2 volts under load. It's why Maglite still reccomends alkalines. Especially their max bright models that already get pretty warm when fed by alkaline batteries.

I use eneloop pro's in a super sucker, direct drive coast number simply so it can run 10 minutes or so without a noticeable drop in output. With regular eneloops and alkalines you can actually see it dimming within about a minute. If used a minute or so here and there it's not so bad but for an extended period that thing fades mighty fast.

Some lights may not be designed for the steady outout of the ultimate lithium or eneloop pro. Those dime store type lights for example. But the standard eneloop type battery is becoming more readily available thanks to a plethora of solar charged items like yard lights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Honestly, as great as SureFires are (and I've got just over two dozen around me as I type this) if a company simply doesn't offer what you need, go with one that does. Plenty of members on CPF have used rechargeable lithiums in SureFires that SF swore would fry the bulbs or the LEDs. They had no issues, but a few members did. Nothing is set in stone. Just realize the risks if you choose to do the same.

Personally, to me it's just not worth it and I'd go with a different brand. Honestly, despite being a SureFire fan-boy myself, I can't pretend that there aren't brands out there making lights that are extremely durable and reliable. In terms of durability, maybe not quite to SureFire levels. But certainly close enough that pragmatically speaking, it's a non-issue.