Will I turn into a Maglite fan once again?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up my late '90s 2D Maglite to check the batteries the other day, and noticed the extra beef it has over the new Maglites. I wish Maglite had left their lights as beefy, it really feels like you have something substantial in your hand, not some cheap, Chinese piece of junk. Not that I consider their new products cheap pieces of Chinese junk, but obviously the new ones are not going to be able to take the abuse that the older, thicker ones can take. Not scientifically proven by me, just an impression. If anyone has a comparison destruction test database, I'd love to see it.
I imagine ML lightened it up to give LE a little relief, as they have so much weight that they carry on their belts (and some of them, a lot under their belts! :crackup:) It might also have to do with reducing shipping costs. Well, for whatever reason they "lightened it up", I would like a "heavy/old normal" option. Maybe they can title it their "Classic" line, only now with LEDs. I'm sure that some LEOs would like a thicker tube, if not for foot patrol carry, then patrol car carry, and at least for increased durability and the enhanced "thump" capability. :twak:;)
Cost reduction

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
if there's so much ambient light, what do you "need" a flashlight for
Dark holes / spaces surrounded by high ambient. Ever try to see something under a car hood out in bright sunlight? I look at it as the greater the difference between what I need to see and surrounding ambient, the more candelas I have to put on the target. That's why I try not to ever have less than ~500 lumens in my pocket. I don't have to use it all when it's not needed, but there's no substitute for it when it is, and I never know when it might be. To me, that's part of the beauty of high output, multi-output lights that will fit in my pocket. Never had that in the old days. It didn't exist, although the need sure did.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dark holes / spaces surrounded by high ambient. Ever try to see something under a car hood out in bright sunlight? I look at it as the greater the difference between what I need to see and surrounding ambient, the more candelas I have to put on the target. That's why I try not to ever have less than ~500 lumens in my pocket. I don't have to use it all when it's not needed, but there's no substitute for it when it is, and I never know when it might be. To me, that's part of the beauty of high output, multi-output lights that will fit in my pocket. Never had that in the old days. It didn't exist, although the need sure did.
I completely agree with you. But my message was a response to someone talking about how 30 lm was enough on their walk. We were talking about walking in the dark at night. Not looking under the vehicle hood and sunlight. Of course in that situation you need a much brighter light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When working under the hood of a car in say, a driveway even a bright light won't get it done if it's too floody. Yet a 2aa doctor light from the 1970's using a #222 bulb can focus light in the right spot for seeing that screw down in between parts and pieces mid-way down in the engine bay of a modern engine. My pop used to let me hold the 3D flashlight for him when I was a kid and he was changing out a water pump or looking for that leaking freeze plug.

More lumens is great but a triple a incan minimag makes for a mighty fine inspection light as well. I'd worked on my kid's Hondas for years with one before joining CPF and discovering 2D LED lights had gotten brighter than light bulb'd versions.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
@scalpel_ninja ,, I received email from Esther at Maglite. You are correct, half the staff is out with flu bug. So, folks patiently awaiting their goodies, don't fear ML is running slow this time of year.
Flu? More likely COVID. It's on the rise this month at quite a few workplaces. But doesn't sound good admitting that to customers.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I hope they get feeling better soon. I care enough about them that I made a large order this year when I only really needed one light I bought like twenty items. They really are one of the most iconic flashlight companies.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
When working under the hood of a car in say, a driveway even a bright light won't get it done if it's too floody. Yet a 2aa doctor light from the 1970's using a #222 bulb can focus light in the right spot for seeing that screw down in between parts and pieces mid-way down in the engine bay of a modern engine. My pop used to let me hold the 3D flashlight for him when I was a kid and he was changing out a water pump or looking for that leaking freeze plug.

More lumens is great but a triple a incan minimag makes for a mighty fine inspection light as well. I'd worked on my kid's Hondas for years with one before joining CPF and discovering 2D LED lights had gotten brighter than light bulb'd versions.
Sounds familiar! When I was a boy, it was my job to hold the trouble light for my late father while he worked on car parts. I recall being miserable while standing in a cold garage, not dressed warm enough, and, as a young boy who gets tired will, allowing the light to droop, and getting yelled at for not holding the light steady. Glad those days are over, and I never tasked any of my kids with that. I have headlamps, and plenty of flashlights! ;) Then there is the fact that the kids are now grownup, and I don't work on autos anymore--I'm too old for that :poop::(.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I met a person who did not know a Maglite is adjustable. I gave him a 2D classic LED for Christmas. I knew something was amiss when he struggled to press that mega tight spring against the batteries and fasten the tailcap down. Most of us struggled with that at first. I still do sometimes. Once that was accomplished I twisted the head for a hole-free beam. He said "how did you do that?" as if he'd just seen Santa Clause for the first time. He kept adjusting the beam and would giggle like a little kid. It was probably the most fun I've had with flashlights in a while.

Now, the fellow is a biker/union iron worker about as old as Mick Jagger. He kept saying "Maglite, huh?" as if he'd never heard of that brand.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Outlaw biker from an era gone by. He still uses a Harley Davidson logo clad Burgess 2C from the 1960's. He probably slices his own bread.

He told a story of a day at work when he told his foreman he was leaving early. Guy says "how come?" Dude says "I'm shot". Foreman says "who shot you? When did you get shot? C'mon let's go get the b@$stard". He says "no I aint been shot, I'm shot as in wasted". Foreman says "dude you holdin' out on me? Don't bogart man". Dude says "look I've been up 3 days I'm done, I'm going home". Foreman says "why didn't you say so".

He's missing parts of fingers and toes, part of an ear and his nose is crooked from his exploits in the good old days in Hell's Kitchen New Jersey. Lot's of scars and even a few bullet holes. He's married and settled down now. He spends his time keeping his old Dodge truck running and cooking fabulous meals.

Last edited:

FastTurtle

Newly Enlightened
I still find a MagSolotaire (1xAAA) to be useful as an EDC. Don't need to use it often but due to power grid instabilities, I find it makes more sense to have it if the lights go out in the store then an LED model.
Was lucky enough to find a service kit for it and my MiniMags on Amazon as I realy don't care for the color temp of the LED version.

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
My trusty ML50L got quite the workout this weekend. We went camping and, while we got there in the daylight, part of our group didn't arrive unitl well after dark. Helping them set up was much easier with the light this guy provided! Add to that several walks to the camp restrooms and showers, along with walks back to our campsite after dark, I was happy to have him along(y)

Attachments

• bv14sEQ[1].jpg
    bv14sEQ[1].jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 32

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
That said, few days ago,, I got a screaming deal from Factory on a gloss black ML150LRS,, $57 delivered!

Snagged this one on an Amazon return $44.39; been on the hunt for it!
ML150LRS
Lumens 38,267 candela.

@knucklegary how are you liking yours?

Maglite.jpg

Maglite3.jpg

Attachments

• Maglite2.jpg
    Maglite2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 17