Will I turn into a Maglite fan once again?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
At first I had trouble finding the switch on my ML50's and 300's in the dark since the cover does not poke out like the classic maglite but I got used to it. I like the 50 better than the 300 but still have 300's for the long runtimes if needed.

I like the ML300 too, but I am gravitating more towards the C cell Mags lately. I do find the switches on the D cell Mags easier to find with my thumb than on the C cells for some reason. A habit I got unto long ago is to keep my thumb on the switch whenever the light is in my hand, so that I am ready to turn the light on/off instantly (the electronic switches are great for momentary operation).

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find myself triple clicking a lot to get to eco mode (function set 3). 90% of the time eco is all I need.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Me too.

At first I didn't get how to change the interface. For what ever reason buying an ML125 not long ago and reading the instruction manual it just made sense all of a sudden and I changed every ML to mode 3(?), the one with momentary/ high/ eco. Suddenly I thought "well heck I could probably figure out how to program a vcr now if I still had one". But defrost mode of microwave ovens still daunts me to this day.

ML25 to the rescue:

BCE4-A278-BE84-4-FD1-967-A-D980759-FD643.jpg

A contractor was installing an additional section of pipe onto a fairly new storm drain pipe. The guy I work for reccomended they check the existing pipe for obstructions before adding new. Well, they had a 6 volt lantern that was not very bright. Nobody else had another flashlight. One guy said "we have every Millwalkee tool except a flashlight". I suggested a mirror to bounce sunshine up the pipe but things were in the shade so that was out.
Hmm, Elzetta Bones, 2D Mag-Lite classic or……wait I have an ML25 handy. And so it was. They shined the ML25 up the pipe and discovered a racoon.

Last edited:

gifthunter

Newly Enlightened
Just went through a box of old Maglites at a family member's house. He didn't want to toss them because the housings are nice and iconic, but frankly, it costs more to convert than to buy a better light.

If only someone could come up with a conversion kit which makes full use of the Maglite's battery chamber. Running only one 26650 in a case that big is a shame.

Not only that, but the idea of just loosely dropping in a new emitter and reflector seems half cocked. A good retrofit would engineer a way to make a good thermal connection between the emitter's mount and the metal body.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not only that, but the idea of just loosely dropping in a new emitter and reflector seems half cocked. A good retrofit would engineer a way to make a good thermal connection between the emitter's mount and the metal body.
Depends what you are trying to achieve tbh.

I've got a couple of 'bulb' style drop-ins. That simply screw into the bulb holder as a direct replacement. I've had them sometime now, a 180 lumen XP-E one and a 200 lumen XP-G one. Lowish figures, but they totally transform the Maglites to be very usable lights. Obviously side by side with higher output options they aren't going to look as impressive. But in the dark when you turn them on, they produce a healthy amount of very usable light. And offer monster runtimes on D cells (or even AA Eneloops in cheap adapters).

At these current levels heat isn't really an issue. So you can just use them.

I've actually just bought a newer 300 lumen XP-G2 one only yesterday.

They look like this:

wwb_img80.jpg

wwb_img10.jpg

Best thing is, they only cost £10 or so. Making them quite good upgrade options to bring new life to an old product.

While there are good budget lights about. £10 is not a lot to buy one and not with the kind of throw a D cell Maglite will have with these drop-ins.

If you want more, you can also get a drop in like this. Albeit they cost about £30. But do offer 800 lumens OTF (1000 LED lumens). So you could buy a good budget torch for this money with similar throw.

Current is still pretty low, so heat is unlikely to be a real issue. 18650 tube lights run more current with hardly any mass. The drop-in uses a metal reflector and pill and does make contact with the head of the Maglite. Only real downside is you loose the 'focus' and instead have a fixed optimal focus. It fits into the bulb holder the sam way as the smaller drop-ins above.

wwb_img110.jpg

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too.

At first I didn't get how to change the interface. For what ever reason buying an ML125 not long ago and reading the instruction manual it just made sense all of a sudden and I changed every ML to mode 3(?), the one with momentary/ high/ eco. Suddenly I thought "well heck I could probably figure out how to program a vcr now if I still had one". But defrost mode of microwave ovens still daunts me to this day.

ML25 to the rescue:

BCE4-A278-BE84-4-FD1-967-A-D980759-FD643.jpg

A contractor was installing an additional section of pipe onto a fairly new storm drain pipe. The guy I work for reccomended they check the existing pipe for obstructions before adding new. Well, they had a 6 volt lantern that was not very bright. Nobody else had another flashlight. One guy said "we have every Millwalkee tool except a flashlight". I suggested a mirror to bounce sunshine up the pipe but things were in the shade so that was out.
Hmm, Elzetta Bones, 2D Mag-Lite classic or……wait I have an ML25 handy. And so it was. They shined the ML25 up the pipe and discovered a racoon.

The first thing I did when I got my ML300 (when it was still called a 3rd​ Gen) was to set it to function set 3 to match my Mag Tac - pretty easy to do. Since then I set all of my programmable Mags to function set 3 so that everything works the same.

Never got the hang of programming VCR's, usually just put some tape over the flashing 12:00 and called it a day. Microwaves have way too many buttons that I have no idea what they do.

Cool story about the raccoon. How did they get it out of the pipe?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Where the pipe was being installed was about 100 feet to my rear (as in about 100 feet from the bottom of the photo). The racoon was inside of the storm drain box in the photo.
They were going to peer into the pipe from that box but there was a guy in the pipe trench so I tossed him my light. He looked up the pipe, said "hmmm" and handed the light to another guy in the trench who said "racoon". Then they tossed the light back to me.

While walking toward the drain box I saw the racoon leave, cross the roadway and disappear in nearby bushes. I took the photo of the lantern and ML25 to show everybody reading this thread my polished alluminum ML25.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At a glance you can tell ML25 gen 1 from gen 2 by the bezel ring for those buying a second hand one.

8-A697825-CA5-B-43-BC-BBD2-5343-A39723-E2.jpg

Left is gen 2, right gen 1.
Gen 1 has "ML25" stamped on it and a hyphon between Mag and Lite (MAG-LITE)
Gen 2 does not have ML25 stamped on it and MAGLITE is one word.

Engraving is deeper on the gen 1 than the gen 2 but you'd probably need to have to have one of each to tell.
The rest is pretty dawg gone close, especially if still in the package.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they got rid of the "-" in "Mag-Lite" sometime in 2018(?) on various models.

BTW, I noticed that my "3rd gen" 3D (15,000 serial range) Mag has no model markings. The newer ones are marked ML300L above the serial number. I wonder if the early ones like mine without the model marking will be collector's items many years in the future? (assuming anyone ever starts collecting LED Mags)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Now when my XL200 arrived it had the solid word. Maglite sent me a replacement head for it and it has the "-" between Mag and Lite.

I wondered about the earlier 50's and 300's and I never bought any except the most recent versions. But somehow my 2 cell ML50 is a noticeably brighter flashlight than the 3 cell version. So I don't know if my 2 cell is an upgraded version or the 3 cell an older version (or not) as I did not commit output of either to memory when I bought them and threw away the packaging.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now when my XL200 arrived it had the solid word. Maglite sent me a replacement head for it and it has the "-" between Mag and Lite.

I wondered about the earlier 50's and 300's and I never bought any except the most recent versions. But somehow my 2 cell ML50 is a noticeably brighter flashlight than the 3 cell version. So I don't know if my 2 cell is an upgraded version or the 3 cell an older version (or not) as I did not commit output of either to memory when I bought them and threw away the packaging.

:eeksign: you throw away the packaging??

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yeah, after about flashlight number 350 I was pretty selective about keeping the packaging.
Packaging for limited edition or really rare stuff is kept. The rest goes in the recycle bucket or the burn barrel.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just kidding byk. I do keep a lot of mine though. Probably a bipolar/redneck/blonde thing.
:stupid:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I did for a while. One day I noticed the accumulation had gone from hiding a couple of spare sofa cushions to where the entire sofa was hidden between boxes of car parts and boxes of flashlight packaging.

Latest posts