Will I turn into a Maglite fan once again?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we're taking the newer ML lights then no. They're not removable anymore. I mean, you could completely dismantle the light, then maybe. But they're not swappable

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
So can the head of the 4d be swapped to a 2d body?
Heads can be swapped within a given production series. So early D-cell to early D-cell, late D-cell to late D-cell, etc. As long as the parts involved are dimensionally identical it'll work. There are some odd differences, like pre-1981ish lights have reflectors with different cam profiles but that's not a typical situation.

If we're taking the newer ML lights then no. They're not removable anymore. I mean, you could completely dismantle the light, then maybe. But they're not swappable
I don't think that's strictly the case, at least with the ones I have. The newer models like the ML50L do have removable heads. Once you take the reflector out a big plastic captive nut comes out and then the head slips off.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heads can be swapped within a given production series. So early D-cell to early D-cell, late D-cell to late D-cell, etc. As long as the parts involved are dimensionally identical it'll work. There are some odd differences, like pre-1981ish lights have reflectors with different cam profiles but that's not a typical situation.

I don't think that's strictly the case, at least with the ones I have. The newer models like the ML50L do have removable heads. Once you take the reflector out a big plastic captive nut comes out and then the head slips off.
I agree with you they are able to be taken apart. I would not call that swappable though. It's not like the old mag lights where you can unscrew the head. These are not meant for the end-user to take them off if we're talking about physically being able to remove something, with right tools I can remove just to everything. Doesn't mean that it's meant to be done

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also made in America by Mexicans. 20 mfgr plants.. with only 3 in Mexico
Screenshot_20240406-075814.png

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you they are able to be taken apart. I would not call that swappable though. It's not like the old mag lights where you can unscrew the head. These are not meant for the end-user to take them off if we're talking about physically being able to remove something, with right tools I can remove just to everything. Doesn't mean that it's meant to be done
With all due respect, you can just unscrew the head. It just requires you take the bezel off first and no tools are required. It's not supposed to be done all the time like with an incan but it's no more difficult, at least on an ML25 or ML50.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The ML25 head comes off to be used as a stand for candle mode - just like the Mini Mag.
I think maybe what homie means is the LED can't be plucked out like those light bulb could. Yeah, you can bang out the pill from the front to the rear. But then that pill (if you will) has a smaller pill inside of that. And that too is proprietary so swapping it for another is easier said than done.

Chance

Newly Enlightened
Well yea thats what i mean, i want to buy a new 4d and 2d and gut them. Put 4d stuff in the 2d body and run on 2 26650's

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well yea thats what i mean, i want to buy a new 4d and 2d and gut them. Put 4d stuff in the 2d body and run on 2 26650's
What we usually call the head is the rotating reflector housing. That can be swapped from light to light in a few seconds. Sounds like you're talking about the switch/lamp module. On both and and new Mags you need to undo a couple things that require special tools and then the module slides out. I don't know about the LED D-cell models, but on the C-cell ones like the ML50 I believe you use a narrow shaft Torx scewdriver to undo a screw in the switch core. Then the module should slide out the butt end of the body tube. Dunno about compatibility between 2D and 4D but it would be logical they're the same dimensions.

Twisty models like the ML25LT have a module that's pressed in. I wouldn't count on removing those without damage.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their females are really cute. Before I went on a vacation for gun crime I recall the lead singer from Vazquez Sounds was beautiful and had a beautiful voice. Then I discovered these Mexican soap operas called La Reina Del Sur, Papas y Mamas, and La Rosa de Guadalupe. Whilst American tv tries to push elderly women, married women, men that act like women, and men that dress as women it seems that Mexican tv has a focus on pretty females.

Oh yeah and I like MX food too.

Attachments

• DF07D902-C490-4C66-9A60-A0C63D01E182.jpeg
    DF07D902-C490-4C66-9A60-A0C63D01E182.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone should have a ML25 - great light!

If it's the LED version, it's probably going to be too bright for candle mode. I 3D printed a diffuser and base for mine to turn it into a lantern.

FNg2tnp.jpg