• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WIP -- Stainless Steel Damascus Lights

budynabuick

Enlightened
Now in hand--picked them up from the heat-treater yesterday:

Nine-Up_HeatTreated.jpg

Five of the nine lights are sold already--the rest will eventually be put up for sale on CPF and CKG.

Might i ask what is CKG? These are pure works of art!

Keith looking in awe!

Last edited:

cw_mi

Enlightened
These are stunning, I'm trying to think about what I can sell or trade for one.

Last edited:

Trave11er

Newly Enlightened

I was so impressed when I learned of your work on CKG that I registered here just to see more... two years over at LPF dealing with hosts & the coherent type of "emitters" but this is what it took for me to finally come on over :bow:

Regarding your variations in etching, the above, high-contrast, thicker layered versions are my favorite! I have a few pieces made from Chad Nichols damascus including his Blackout, Raindrop and Iguana and my favorite is Iguana, which is also a high-contrast and thicker-layered pattern.

But the bottom line is that every single one of your hosts are a sight to behold... awesome stuff :wow:

Traveller - Genève * Melbourne * Miami * Wien

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my mind, I wanted a mule in a tuxedo. That's what I got.

I just got my Blocky Boy Mule. I asked Fred for some special features, including using a standard E series engine pill and McClicky in the tail. So essentially I was intending to run Don's Nichia 119 High CRI light engine inside of a Photonfanatic host.

What arrived in my mail box was a piece of alien technology which appears to be carved into a single piece of a strange meteor fragment. The threads could not have been done with conventional human equipment, nor could the way that the seam disappears happen without nano cloaking techniques.

I am at a loss for words when either attempting to express my gratitude to Fred for making me this piece to my silly extra design specifications...or to explain adequately the quality of the piece.

obi

Trave11er

Newly Enlightened
...I am at a loss for words...
Congratulations / I know the feeling ;) :thumbsup:

While you are looking for the words... a few pictures would speak volumes :naughty: You don't see too many McFredClicky's too often, I'd love to see yours please :thanks:

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jay'sMule-5.jpg

Jay'sMule-4.jpg

Jay'sMule-3.jpg

Jay'sMule-2.jpg

I send Fred this old XPG engine from Don. I love McGizmos, and I have had as many as four, but am now down to really two...the current Ti mule offering and the Ti PD mule. It is really Don's mule concept that made me flip into a true freak about these things. I just find the lack of a hotspot so useful...and so pleasing to my eyes. Anyway, I really have a bunch of these size pills for playing with, as well as a few very serious engines in this size built by DatiLED and others. So I really want to be able to take advantage of these, esp. the newer ones I have acquired.

I also wanted to it to eat 18350's. And have a McClicky switch. None of these details, individually or collectively seemed to present any major challenges to Mr. Pilon.

I think the maker's final photos speak for themselves. And quite frankly, it is a different beast. It sits heavy in your palm...presses in a way that only bulkier lights tend to, so it feels alien. It feels dense...like a cylinder of rock with a light in one end and a button on the other.

Its length is exactly that of the width of my palm. It can disappear perfectly centered under my four fingers. Ideal.

This light will be the last host I ever sell, without a shadow of a doubt.

I win.

obi

Last edited:

Trave11er

Newly Enlightened
Oh-wow... :bow:
that sir, is a beauty of a light... :rock:

I've been day-dreaming of a mule as well and this one is as good as it gets! I love the way Fred embedded that clicky... man that's smooth!!!

And nothing beats a well-etched Chad Nichols Damascus...
...although maybe a well-anodized Chad Nichols Mokuti will come damn close... :buddies: