Would You Lend Anyone Your Flashlight ?.

Ishango

Enlightened
Re: Hey buddy, got a light?

I usually carry a light to lend out or even give away. Currently it's a Thrunite Ti and often it's just a fauxton. Anyway, I have no problems lending out a Fenix or similar light to pretty much anyone I know, but I would be more careful lending out a limited edition or custom light.

PFKMan23

Newly Enlightened
Re: Hey buddy, got a light?

I have several generic lights that I keep around and I don't see any harm in lending those. Of course nicer stuff is going to be a different issue.

xzel87

Enlightened
:thinking: - this happened to me just earlier on, someone who was flying to Pakistan tonight and asked me if he could borrow my PD32UE, and all the other bits so that he could use whilst there for some weeks.

he already has a $30 weird Cree LED flashlight bought off ebay which is no way near the PD32, and says he wants to use mine.

I said no way, no!,....as I use it for work mostly anyway, if it breaks, he ain't going to pay me back my $73.55 I paid, but maybe $20 he said - as according to him, it's not even worth $73, and if it comes back damaged broken, it would only be a 'sorry' leaving me to pick up the pieces...and start again.
don't you just hate people who take the P*SS ?!!!.
buy your freakin own!.

So again, ...My answer to lending is a BIG NOOOO!

thanks everyone...

If this 'someone' is your friend then I am speechless. What kinda attitude is that??!!, and wanting to borrow something from you nonetheless. I've never experienced someone wanting to borrow something off me with that kinda attitude.

Moving on, personally for me it depends on the person. Although my lights aren't expensive as compared to what's here in CPF, for me they are. So I keep a few loaner lights (SK-68 clones) around to be lent out.

Treeguy

Enlightened
My buddy when to the Caribbean for a week last month - sleeping on the beach in a tent no less - and I lent him my Quark Pro 1xAA.

And he lent me his Samsung 50" 1080p television for the duration. :party:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say yes & no. I had 4 x $100+ lights were stolen from me on various occasions (2 were burglaries, 2 were thefts by co workers) & 1 my wife let my son play with when he was a baby then threw it in the garbage when the batteries died. So co workers & family, no. I drove a medical transport during hurricane sandy and carried a go bag with me at all times. I had 3 sure fires on me when I took a patient into a high rise. The nurse asked her for a sample and showed her where the bathroom was. It was an inner office away from windows. Then the lights went out. The patient let out a peep, but I was right there with light. She grabbed me by the hand & led me to the toilet but I declined her invitation & laid it on the sink for her. The nurse pulled out some plastic 2 x 2d 20 lumen eveready K-mart specials & I almost died laughing when she told me to turn on my light so she could replace the batteries. The emergency lights were only in the hallways not the stairs so I illuminated our walk out the bldg. so yes I would GIVE a stranger a good light but my lending days are over

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

kssmith

Enlightened
The other day, my brother in law called me. He knows how I am about my lights, and asked if he could 'ask a question that would push the limits of our friendship. He then told me to brace myself, and asked to borrow my "best" light. I immediately thought of my UNR Commander, and told him he could. After this; he said it would actually be someone else using the light... My response was " woah, hold on, this changes things. You(bro-in-law) can use it, but someone else will get a different light. He understood, and decided that he would use mine, and let the other person use his. I was greatly relieved!

YJT

Newly Enlightened
I have several cheap lights at the house I can borrow to someone, and I have bought the kids their own lights they can play with so they don't lose mine.

I'm a police officer and I carry three lights on my belt, and some more in the gear bag. It is not uncommon that I have to lend a light to someone. I'm also a defensive tactics and shooting instructor, and at the range I might have to borrow several lights at the same time. I believe the most flaslights I have borrowed at the same time is six or seven.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the separation anxiety is greater than the fear of possible embarrassment from saying No, then the answer is No. So far, it has never been Yes, but I suppose it could happen, someday. I do get asked frequently. I also reply with information about where they can easily buy low, medium and/or high dollar flashlights, and I get a look back like I am talking in an undiscovered exotic language.

NTEW

Newly Enlightened
maybe yes or maybe no. depend on the guy and what he used for? someone are always losing things even they don't why.:cool: once you lend them, you put your light in dingerous situaton and you may lose it.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
Nah, I would only lend to friends or family unless it's an emergency and the use of a flashlight is required.

However, I do carry cheap flashlights around that I loan to strangers if they really need them for some emergency. If they ever lose or steal them, no big deal.

bdogps

Enlightened
The only torches I ever let people borrow is the Thrunite TN 11s and the TN12 v2014. No I would not let them borrow my TN30, M3X, M2X,Tk32 and my Armytek wizard. The way I see it is that they do not appreciate torches and most would not pay 100$AUD for one. The TN30 is more expensive because it uses 3x 3400mAh from olight. I bought a pair for 44 dollars and another pair for 42 dollars. So the TN30 already has 65 dollars worth of batteries. So no, you cannot borrow it.

Charles L.

Enlightened
I lent a trusted friend a Nitecore Extreme for a windsurfing trip to Baja. He returned it unscathed and with a new battery. All depends on the light and the person.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got two friends that I'd loan anything I've got too.
Co workers were a different story.
If I saw that you respected tools, I'd loan a mid priced work light, not my EDC Surefire or my 6d cell converted Mag light.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I consider flashlights and knives to be both tools and time burners. Stuck in the house most of the time I polish and or sharpen. I have cheap on both fronts to loan out, the higher priced stays home or in my pocket.

funkychateau

Enlightened
I have a collection of "loaners" that I keep for such an occasion. Often if someone asks to borrow a flashlight I just gift them one I don't use often.

On the other hand, I never let others use "feel" items such as pool cues or musical instruments. It's like letting someone else wear your underwear - never feel the same again afterwards.

LedTed

Enlightened
... Three people later nobody seems to know where your expensive light is ...

I can't agree with you more kathunk,

Your response is well written. To back you up, I'll share my own story.

Power went off at work one Friday. One of my coworkers was too "freaked out" to use the dark bathroom, but really had to urinate. It was somewhat of an emergency. Under these circumstances, I gave that coworker my backup NiteCore D10. Twenty minutes later, neither the coworker nor my D10 were back. Something seemed wrong. So, I investigated.

As in your example and without my permission, the original coworker lent my flashlight to a second coworker. In turn and again without my permission, the second coworker lent my flashlight to a third coworker. That third person didn't know whose flashlight it was and decided to put my D10 in her purse and take it home. So, at minimum, I would have been without my D10 during a weekend which was starting with a power outage.

So no, I'll gift flashlights, but as a general rule, I won't lend out my flashlights.

kj2

Flashaholic
Would lend one to my mother or older brother, but that's it. Not even to my dad. When I started with flashlights, I'd a couple of Maglite's. They were perfect, back then, and was really happy with them. My dad used it once, and when I received it back, there were three big scratches on it. Thanks dad ;)
Want light? Buy it! :p

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't agree with you more kathunk,

Your response is well written. To back you up, I'll share my own story.

Power went off at work one Friday. One of my coworkers was too "freaked out" to use the dark bathroom, but really had to urinate. It was somewhat of an emergency. Under these circumstances, I gave that coworker my backup NiteCore D10. Twenty minutes later, neither the coworker nor my D10 were back. Something seemed wrong. So, I investigated.

As in your example and without my permission, the original coworker lent my flashlight to a second coworker. In turn and again without my permission, the second coworker lent my flashlight to a third coworker. That third person didn't know whose flashlight it was and decided to put my D10 in her purse and take it home. So, at minimum, I would have been without my D10 during a weekend which was starting with a power outage.

So no, I'll gift flashlights, but as a general rule, I won't lend out my flashlights.
I feel kinda pissed hearing what kind of coworkers you have.
I can only say, they probably didn't know the value of the flashlight hence they feel that its okie to pass it around like how they did...