Would You Lend Anyone Your Flashlight ?.

shq_luvlights

Newly Enlightened
I'd lend them the cheap ones. Not my precious lights. If I have to I made sure it's in my sight and not being abuse. So I would just give them the cheap ones.

Richub

Enlightened
I have a few friends who will get a 'Yes' from me without hesitation. They take care of the light(s), know the value, and will replace it when it gets lost or broken without hesitation.
This already happened once, and I posted about it before on CPF:
Read that post here.

I have a few loaners for the people I wouldn't give my high-end lights, so I can still help them, and not lose one of my premium lights if anything happens to that loaner light.

If I don't know a person, or know them well enough to see he/she is careless or unappreciative (that fires me off instantly), they'll get a firm 'No' and they can go buy their own lights.

Last edited:

Ishango

Enlightened
Pretty much the same here as others have posted already. I trust my SO, good friends and family members to lend my good lights (except for a select few special lights maybe, but they wouldn't understand the modes and programming anyway). They know what they cost and they will respect that and will take proper care of the light and will replace it without problems if anything happens to it.

For others I have older lights or even loaner lights or easy replaceable ones like the Fenix E11 depending on how well I know and trust them. I have gifted lights as well to friends and family members, so those should have a light anyway (and a surprising number of people use the light I gave them often or even EDC them).

youngbushcrafter

Newly Enlightened
Not even my brother, he is always asking to borrow one of my torches, but i tell just to get a cheap supermarket one from the drawer. When i ask him if he would pay me back if he broke or lost it, he says 'not the full price because it's not new' which to him brings the price down by about 75%. I also ask him what would happen if he only damaged it (lens getting a big scratch etc) but he says that doesn't matter! I try to tell him that he should buy his own but he always says 'why should i buy one if i can borrow you'rs)!!!!:scowl:

chenko

Enlightened
To most folks my answer would be
31056298.jpg

And if I did, most of them would probably not be able to figure out the UI.

gravelrash

Enlightened
I normally don't let people touch my stuff, but that is more about germs and my lack of patience. People are gross and I'm too impatient to tell then how to work my HDS EDC. I keep a Novatac Classic and an old Inova light around the office for people to borrow.

I've never felt that people treat my expensive things as well as I do. "Don't touch my monitor screen. Don't slam the doors on my truck. Use the dang wrist strap if you want to borrow my camera."

You should see the cleaning regimen I have to go through when someone touches my keyboard.

Yes, I realize I have problems...

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do feel that the Fenix pd32UE is 50% overpriced.
I'd sell it to them, with the promise of giving them their money back if the light still worked. (maybe a little Boba Fett wear)

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
someone else at work thinks they got a bargain buying a $30 TOP OF THE RANGE LATEST CREE LED 2013 flashlight, but they still somehow want my PD32UE.
get lost already!.
lol.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on the light and the person. With some of my budget lights it doesn't matter if they get damaged or lost, I have a few lights I would not buy again and therefore I wouldn't miss them...
Some of my friends are careful and I would trust them to lend some good light.

Ian2381

Enlightened
yes but not my favorite and expensive lights, i just got back 5 lights a friend of mine borrowed, it includes some moddified lights, xeno eo3,, yup some of the lights have scratches now but was expecting it. At least they got used instead of sitting on the shelves. lol

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Depends on who, which, where, and for how long.
I've loaned co-workers my Ti D25C, Groovy!, Malkoff/6P, and E3S - but they never left my presence.
I hand Maratacs, E3S, E03, and the D25 to my daughters all the time.
I tried to make my P20C2MKII my wifes for when she walks the dog, but she rarely takes it - prefers the energizer button light on her keychain. So now it's a backup near the front door.
Last power outage, I wasn't home, my 8-year-old grabbed the Groovy to use in her bedroom. No harm done, except a dead battery, but I nearly freaked out when I noticed it missing.

I guess a short term loan, in my presence, I'm comfortable with.
Take a favorite of mine on a trip? Only if you're family or a good friend, and you have a valid reason for not taking your own (or you're just coming to realize you need your own, but don't have time to get one.)
Dissatisfied with your own POS, ask for mine, then tell me it's not worth replacement cost? Pound Sand - you're never touching my stuff again.

SHADE02

Newly Enlightened
hell NO!!....

sometime here in the work, people from the warehouse ask me for my edc light, and the one time , that i did borrow, they returned it all dirt and spot with oil and some wear on the HA of the body... argh..

even today they keep ask for my light, but not more......

P.S. SFMBE

turkeylord

Enlightened
I EDC a (relatively cheap) L3 Illumination L10 219, so it's not a huge investment. However, I don't know if I'd lend it out with the 14500 installed - I think I'd swap it back to an alkaline first.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My fenix tk11 and zebra h30 is in afganistan. My lights + a good freind is coming home soon :twothumbs

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
Your friend doesn't sound very considerate, but yes, I lend my flashlights (just not my couple of favorites... ;) )

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably I would but not one of my decent members of the collection.Sorted my daughter out with a couple on a ghost hunt she went on,she liked the Fenix EO1 best as it happened.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your friend doesn't sound very considerate, but yes, I lend my flashlights (just not my couple of favorites... ;) )
You know, some (grown up) pepole work with other tools than guns when they are down there.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I haven't read ALL of these comments here, but this is MY opinion . . . .

The only person to whom I would lend a GOOD flashlight, would be a fellow Flashaholic.

-- and yet --

A fellow Flashaholic would probably not NEED to ask to borrow one !

:whistle:
_

Burgess

Flashaholic
By the way . . . .

I have a big advantage over many of you.

At my advanced age (gonna' be 60 this year),

I no longer Give a Sh1t what people think of me !

:devil:
_

välineurheilija

Enlightened
I haven't read ALL of these comments here, but this is MY opinion . . . .

The only person to whom I would lend a GOOD flashlight, would be a fellow Flashaholic.

-- and yet --

A fellow Flashaholic would probably not NEED to ask to borrow one !

:whistle:
_
You sir have a valid point there :)