• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WTS: P60 Drop in Light Engine

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 COMBINED XP-E2, XM-L2, XP-G2, SBT, SST, Color LEDS, Nichia 219

If you only want 30-60 seconds then go 6A! If the Emmiter blow it's on me. After 60 seconds though it's on you. :)

I always treat "high" and "Turbo" modes as a redline and usually just use them in short bursts for a wow factor.

I will go with whatever you reccomend :) maybe after you do a few quicktests then we can nail down a current @ 5-6a depending on results? (I would think it would be similar to the XML)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Re: vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 COMBINED XP-E2, XM-L2, XP-G2, SBT, SST, Color LEDS, Nichia 2

One time I ran a XML-U3 up to 8A for 3 minutes long and it ran fine and was ULTRA BRIGHT..................But then again I direct bonded it to very large Copper PCB from the TN31 and sat the copper PCB in a shallow plate of water. LOL

So if we can liquid cool these LEDs I am sure we can push them much harder. Imagine a SST-90 liquid cool or at least mounted to a radiator LOL ;-)

Also just modded a 7G9 for a customer with a XML-U3 Dedome at 4.5A and it just outthrew my TN31 modded equivalent. But at least the hot spot is larger on the TN31 the way I like it.

I always treat "high" and "Turbo" modes as a redline and usually just use them in short bursts for a wow factor.

I will go with whatever you reccomend :) maybe after you do a few quicktests then we can nail down a current @ 5-6a depending on results? (I would think it would be similar to the XML)

Last edited:

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 COMBINED XP-E2, XM-L2, XP-G2, SBT, SST, Color LEDS, Nichia 2

Hi Vinh, good job combining this, makes it very easy to see the options. Haven't heard anything about the Nichia 219 I ordered so thought I'd make sure it didn't get lost i the switch over. ;)

Appreciate the video on wrapping, makes a lot of sense and I'll be sure to do it. Any thoughts on copper vs aluminumin foil? Don't know if I can actually find copper foil but if I can I might go that route.

Thanks again for your video help, really makes a big difference!

Dale

jaycyu

Enlightened

Don't know if I can actually find copper foil but if I can I might go that route.
ProofTech has an active sales thread on CPF Market Place that supplies thick non-adhesive copper tapes sized for P60's.

Copper has double the thermal capacity, and twice the conductive heat transfer rate.
Thin cooking foil requires many wrapping so there will be that much more air gaps.
Aluminum cans are coated in paint. Maybe its heat-dampening effect is negligible. Sanding the coating will create bumps, thus again air gaps.

Thermal Conductivity Rating:
Cu: 401
Al: 205
Air: 0.024

Last edited:

jaycyu

Enlightened

5A-6A are current from a AW2900 18650. Do not run this drop in with any battery larger than 18650. If you are running Small cells make sure to use IMR. Small cells might only pull 3-4A. Larger than 18650 cells will pull LED life threatening current LOL
Will an IMR 18650 draw 6A without a meltdown?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I just put together and will ship Nichia drop in for DB Custom today. Must be you ;-)

Hi Vinh, good job combining this, makes it very easy to see the options. Haven't heard anything about the Nichia 219 I ordered so thought I'd make sure it didn't get lost i the switch over. ;)

Appreciate the video on wrapping, makes a lot of sense and I'll be sure to do it. Any thoughts on copper vs aluminumin foil? Don't know if I can actually find copper foil but if I can I might go that route.

Thanks again for your video help, really makes a big difference!

Dale

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will an IMR 18650 draw 6A without a meltdown?

aw imr is rated to 10a max continuous discharge rate :devil:

and max 4.5a charge rate so you can have one on turbo charge while you have one on turbo drain. :devil:X2

edit: vinh - you have convinced me to go with 6A! I promise I wont pass 60 seconds :)

Last edited:

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you kind sir! :)

I will go with copper sheet, available at OnlineMetals in a 12x12 sheet at .005 thickness for $15 or so. That should allow me plenty to do more and even room to mess something up once or twice. :) They do have thinner, but I don't really see the point.

Thanks for your help Jacyu and thank you Vinh!

Dale

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Vinh,

The 4.53a de-domed XM-L U3 drop in you made for me hasn't even arrived yet and I'm already feeling the urge to get a 6amp de-domed XM-L2. I'm no expert in the LED specs, but what sort of gains are there for the XM-L2 over the XM-L U3?

On top of the 6amp XM-L2 drop in I also want to get a XP-E2 5000k for ultimate throw and more run time/efficiency.

This is all your fault! I keep looking at your sales thread all the options are so tempting!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Wow everyone want 6A...Really 4.5A is good enough. 6A doesnt belong in a P60 format at all. WAY WAY TOO HOT. I heard 20% gain but I am not exactly sure. I ordered 15 of each kind of LED and have already gotten preorder for like 10 of each.

Hey Vinh,

The 4.53a de-domed XM-L U3 drop in you made for me hasn't even arrived yet and I'm already feeling the urge to get a 6amp de-domed XM-L2. I'm no expert in the LED specs, but what sort of gains are there for the XM-L2 over the XM-L U3?

On top of the 6amp XM-L2 drop in I also want to get a XP-E2 5000k for ultimate throw and more run time/efficiency.

This is all your fault! I keep looking at your sales thread all the options are so tempting!

thundertree

Enlightened

Please see Order below.
But I also wanted to verify the safe voltage for this drop-in. This low voltage option is listed as "2.7-6V max", but under "program options" there is a reference to "The driver Operates from 2.5-4.5V" & "3xNiHM only". Is it OK to run on 4x NiMH if under 6V or is the risk of damage too high?

:paypal: from thundertree for:

$42 Multi-Mode High Current & Low Voltage option: 2.7-6V max;
XM-L2 COOL WHITE 6500K -- (as white as possible please);
4.5 AMP = +$4;
High, 10hz Strobe -- Last mode memory;
Smooth reflector;
+$5 for Shipping insurance, USPS Priority and Delivery confirmation;

Total= $51

(Unique Transaction ID # 1AE89149B3283762B)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I will test our 4* NiHM and report back. I think it should survive ;-)

Please see Order below.
But I also wanted to verify the safe voltage for this drop-in. This low voltage option is listed as "2.7-6V max", but under "program options" there is a reference to "The driver Operates from 2.5-4.5V" & "3xNiHM only". Is it OK to run on 4x NiMH if under 6V or is the risk of damage too high?

:paypal: from thundertree for:

$42 Multi-Mode High Current & Low Voltage option: 2.7-6V max;
XM-L2 COOL WHITE 6500K -- (as white as possible please);
4.5 AMP = +$4;
High, 10hz Strobe -- Last mode memory;
Smooth reflector;
+$5 for Shipping insurance, USPS Priority and Delivery confirmation;

Total= $51

(Unique Transaction ID # 1AE89149B3283762B)

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 COMBINED XP-E2, XM-L2, XP-G2, SBT, SST, Color LEDS, Nichia 219

High mode is basically a turbo mode for me, like jmpaul said, I will also be only using it for short bursts less than a minute :)

I will put in my order soon, thanks vinh!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

High mode is basically a turbo mode for me, like jmpaul said, I will also be only using it for short bursts less than a minute :)

I will put in my order soon, thanks vinh!

:) OK

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Possible to have an extra mode...Turbo/H/M/L so that we can play with the 6A drop ins? :D

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Possible to have an extra mode...Turbo/H/M/L so that we can play with the 6A drop ins? :D

3 mode only sorry.

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast

3 mode only sorry.

OK then...a 100%, 80% and 30% programming possible? screw the low mode these are for the big boys only! :twothumbs

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 COMBINED XP-E2, XM-L2, XP-G2, SBT, SST, Color LEDS, Nichia 219

OK then...a 100%, 80% and 30% programming possible? screw the low mode these are for the big boys only! :twothumbs

Yeah, I think a higher low would be nicer in a light with a 6 amp high end!

And is 2 mode medium-high available instead of high-medium?

Last edited: