XPG3 The upgrade?

Enderman

Enlightened
Ok well I'm getting similar results to saabluster, the XP-G3 is disappointing...
Not even close to my XP-G2 either domed or shaved dome, the XP-L was still better even though it has a larger area...
It does have a really nice tint though :) and the spot is more rounded instead of being a sharp square which I guess is good for people who care about beam quality.

Seems like I'm going to be waiting for a new HI led for a while :C
For now, XP-G2 it remains.

Maybe I'll buy a 3A driver and see if I can drive my XP-E2 to the same lux as my G2.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also about the delta lenses, are you saying that you use the whole lens assembly in front of the LED?? Not just one of the lenses?
I looked at this video and they do seem ~4" but I think instead of using an aspherical lens there are two spherical ones and a spherical aberration compensation plate (which is that thick glass thing)
So if you used the whole assembly then yeah it would not have spherical aberration but you're still using like 3 or 4 pieces of glass and reducing the light transmittance at each one...a single aspheric lens would be much more efficient no?
The delta lenses on ebay are really cheap though so maybe I'll just buy one and see for myself if it will beat the 100mm lens I currently use...
A single aspheric lens can be more efficient if designed and manufactured well. The problem I have found is the quality in the larger aspheric lenses have all been very poor. I have bought a ton of them too. I have hundreds of lenses. Many hundreds. :) I use the whole lens assembly in those Delta lenses. Although I remove the outer plastic housing to save space.

magnum70383

Enlightened
An upgrade to my Victor Enthusiast? Is that even possible? I'm already getting into trouble using it in the city! That light beam laser is dangerous lol

Enderman

Enlightened
Hey saabluster it has come to my attention that the osram oslon black flat at ~4A can achieve higher intensity than the best XP-G2 S4 at 6 amps.
I have contacted MTN electronics to see if he can get some in stock, unfortunately digikey has a minimum order quantity of 2000 :/
Have you heard of this LED before? maybe used it?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
An upgrade to my Victor Enthusiast? Is that even possible? I'm already getting into trouble using it in the city! That light beam laser is dangerous lol
As amazing as that is to think about yes. I am reviving some of my earlier R+D that I never brought to market. Trying to see if it will work with updated technology and something that would even be possible in a small batch manufacturing environment. R+D is one thing but production, even on a small scale, is another. If I can make all the puzzle pieces fit this would be the biggest jump in performance the world has yet seen. No promises. :)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have continued work on the XPG3 in an attempt to make it usable in throw lights. Yes I'm stubborn. I can reduce the wave guiding effect and reduce side emission but not eliminate it. So working with thin film chips for now. Interestingly I was able to get a clean separation of the phosphor on the 219 C. Such that it left the superthin silicone extraction layer perfectly intact. Have yet to get a similar result with the XPG3.

Enderman

Enlightened
Cool, I gave up and my two XP-G3s are sitting here doing nothing.
When I have some more time and money on my hands I plan to buy 10 or 100 osram flat blacks and bin them myself (since they aren't sold in sorted bins)
It shouldn't be that difficult to find one that has higher intensity than a dedomed G2 with such a large sample size.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, I gave up and my two XP-G3s are sitting here doing nothing.
When I have some more time and money on my hands I plan to buy 10 or 100 osram flat blacks and bin them myself (since they aren't sold in sorted bins)
It shouldn't be that difficult to find one that has higher intensity than a dedomed G2 with such a large sample size.

Sample size of one in my tests.
Relative Beam intensity
2A
BF 1040
XPG2 942

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought I'd share the results from some more destructive testing of these LEDs. I ran the LED super hard until the die got so hot it desoldered itself from the substrate. This is to allow me to mount it on a substrate of my choosing. This picture is a combination of that and chemical treatment to remove the dome.

64F699FE-0359-4D52-8CA4-08B247CA6A9C_zpsgi3pkeit.png

When removing the die I found that it severed rather cleanly from the dome. Well sort of. A dome within a dome.

B087B4F9-A9BF-4F24-B637-AF19F8A4F798_zpseutlabx9.png

DED6E25F-912E-4ED6-900D-6D91E0EB437E_zps8omvvcg8.png

Now I'm not sure if this is an indication of Cree applying multiple layers of silicone or not. It could be it just so happened to cleave just right to create this pattern.

Enderman

Enlightened
It seems like a big bubble of phosphor filled silicone below the actual dome...
Maybe that's why dedoming/ dome shaving reduces the output so much?