You Just Know Your A Flashaholic When......

tex.proud

Enlightened
In my job I'm constantly in people's homes. Customers frequently ask "You need more light over there?". This is because most folks, in my experience, still live in caves. Yet they are considerate enough to offer a little bit more light. My response is always "No, thanks! I have it covered!". As I pull out one of the two lights that I always have on me at work. The lights themselves change from time to time, but there's always a small one that I can clip onto my cap, and a larger one that can turn dark places into daylight.

Just today a customer asked that question. After hearing my response he replied "But you don't have one like this!" as he pulled out the Atomic Beam U.S.A.! I acted excited as I asked "Is that the badass zoomable light I see on TV?". He was soooo proud of it I had to bite my tongue. I've been the fella in the past that loved a POJ knife or light when I didn't know any better. I just told him "That's badass man! Cool light!".

Keeping your mouth shut about something that you know is a Chinese piece of junk to let a fella enjoy his Prize Flashlight. That's a flashaholic.

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
In my job I'm constantly in people's homes. Customers frequently ask "You need more light over there?". This is because most folks, in my experience, still live in caves. Yet they are considerate enough to offer a little bit more light. My response is always "No, thanks! I have it covered!". As I pull out one of the two lights that I always have on me at work. The lights themselves change from time to time, but there's always a small one that I can clip onto my cap, and a larger one that can turn dark places into daylight.

Just today a customer asked that question. After hearing my response he replied "But you don't have one like this!" as he pulled out the Atomic Beam U.S.A.! I acted excited as I asked "Is that the badass zoomable light I see on TV?". He was soooo proud of it I had to bite my tongue. I've been the fella in the past that loved a POJ knife or light when I didn't know any better. I just told him "That's badass man! Cool light!".

Keeping your mouth shut about something that you know is a Chinese piece of junk to let a fella enjoy his Prize Flashlight. That's a flashaholic.

Says jk then proceeds to pull out the Olight X7 Marauder

C7N3M T&T

Newly Enlightened
You know you are a flashaholic when... You look forward to winter when the dark stays longer and the days are short![emoji106]

Last edited:

tex.proud

Enlightened
Tex,

Since when is being a flashaholic about leaving someone in the "dark"?

j/k I thought it was clever so had to post. :p Don't you have one of those badass cool lights? :grin2:

~ Chance

Yes, I do...that's part of letting the fella, with half a mouth of teeth, and a trailer full of hoarding junk, and a wife that talked a great deal despite her absolute lack of teeth, and walking within their home thinking "Light as a feather", because at any moment my big arse is about to fall through the floor, and seeing the personal fact that the light he showed me is, in fact, the best light that he has ever known...hence his excitement regarding that light, that I decided to not burst his bubble. I simply followed up with "Badass Dude!" "Love it!".

Says jk then proceeds to pull out the Olight X7 Marauder

An Olight X7 may well have melted everything that they have. Meant as a joke, but quite serious about the level of hoardship that I stepped into..

Y'all honestly don't realize how folks live. I experience, almost daily, how deprived people are. It saddens me to a point, but at the same time, I have to find a level of Don't think about it man...It will destroy you, just to get through the fact that I am there to provide internet, television, or telephone service. It Truly amazes me how people can live. I have a great job, but frequently feel sorry for folks that don't. There's a point where you care, but have to come to a point where you don't . If you wish to live your own life in a respectable and clean manner.

Sorry for the downer! It came up. I can't help that!

ven

Flashaholic
Thats very cool Tex :cool:and i would have done the same. Not worth upsetting someone when they are so happy about it. Like you say, why burst their bubble..............some times its not cool to be cool!

Yes, I do...that's part of letting the fella .. snip .. seeing the personal fact that the light he showed me is, in fact, the best light that he has ever known...hence his excitement regarding that light, that I decided to not burst his bubble. I simply followed up with "Badass Dude!" "Love it!".

Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep.
Romans 12:15

I totally understand. As I wrote, I was just making a play on words joke. :) For almost 30 years my occupation took me inside homes costing seven figures to residences no larger than the size of a bathroom.

~ Chance

tex.proud

Enlightened

Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep.
Romans 12:15

I totally understand. As I wrote, I was just making a play on words joke. :) For almost 30 years my occupation took me inside homes costing seven figures to residences no larger than the size of a bathroom.

~ Chance

Completely understand brother. Same here. I can be in a home worth millions in the morning, and one worth $400 a month the next. Life is different for all of us...what our life means to us is different for all of us...How we live our life is different for all of us. The only constant is "all of us". When "all of us" are on the same page everything works like a well oiled machine. Amen!

irongate

Enlightened
Thats very cool Tex :cool:and i would have done the same. Not worth upsetting someone when they are so happy about it. Like you say, why burst their bubble..............some times its not cool to be cool!

In other words it's better to be a bit humble instead of showing off what you have. Not good as everyone might not have that kind of income that you have.

tex.proud

Enlightened
In other words it's better to be a bit humble instead of showing off what you have. Not good as everyone might not have that kind of income that you have.

I understand that completely! The homes I'm in, the things I see, I treat everyone with respect. I am, in THEIR home after all. Judge not, lest ye be judged. I'd much rather create a rapport with folks than be some sort of Ahole. Life simply goes better that way.

ven

Flashaholic

Exactly, irongate as everyone has different perspectives on things to. I have seen many happy with a few $ zoomy, some have been using them for years! Imagine how much you could save not being fussy! :laughing:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

On a sorta opposite note, when I'm the person asking "need more light?" it surprises me how many repair folks have lights the flashaholic would scoff at. And normally they say "no thanks" and use their faithful favorite. I enjoy see-ing the ones that have obvisiously seen a few battles with gravity vs concrete etc.

The last one that came to my house had a Coast light that started it for me. I commented "nice flashlight". He bragged about it a bit and I was happy to see how beat up it was. At one point he needed both hands for his task and was lightless. I shined a microstream over his shoulder.

Basically the guy had an hour set up to work on my issue but was done in 10 minutes. We spent another 20 or so chatting about flashlights and I gifted him that microstream (after showing him the hat clip feature). Then I showed him my wifes silver version of his Coast product, which used to be my work light. He noted how well the battle scars were hidden on the silver version. He opened it and noted "eneloop pro? What's that?" I told him how to acquire those.
It was a win-win in that he resolved my issue quickly and showed me an all important step I'd failed to do, and left 30 minutes ahead of schedule with a little more knowledge of how to use flashlights in his job.

Last edited:
It's a lot easier to get a horse to drink when he's thirsty. Same thing with men and flashlights. How many times has some guy shined his subpar light next to your mighty lightsaber, then tried to get you to believe his was a comparable tool? :rolleyes:

~ CG

Senator

Newly Enlightened
...you smile to yourself when you see your odometer roll over to 18650 miles...

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've considered getting all my lights together for a group photo - but I'm concerned that gathering them all in the same place might put too much matter in one place and cause a black hole to form, it's just too much risk!

ven

Flashaholic
When you can just fit your flashlight albums on a screen shot...............and your on the 8th to keep the user friendly