Your top 3 budget lights for 2016

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll go with lights I use as well,

• Probably on my 2015 list as well is the Energizer Weatheready 6V flashlight/lantern. Basically a version of the Australian LED Dolphin it is 150 lumens or so with a large stepped and faceted reflector. I keep them handy and use them in place of lanterns indoors where they work well with ceiling bounce. Unfortunately they seem to have disappeared from shelves early in the year and may be discontinued already. It is a shame as they were only $10 and able to float. They would be good emergency lights for the general public.
  • Nebo Larry C Work Light. There are different similar lights available but the small size and magnetic clip make this one useful to me. Around $9 and widely available.
  • Maglite ML25LT 2C. This is hands down the most used of the three lights at my house. Some people decry the 2hr. run time but I like the consistent regulated output and it will dim before it dies so you know to change the batteries without being left in the dark. Plenty bright at 177 lumens for general use and capable of more throw than some other similar sized lights. Works fine with eneloops in AA to C adapters and the tint can be easily modified using lens filters. Still a decent value at $18-20.

My honorable mention goes to my favorite budget lights,slide switch PR base incans. There are still some decent models available new and they are easily modified with a low cost LED drop-in.Battery adapters allow the use of AA lithiums and eneloops in C and D models. Output isn't overly impressive but like the Mag the tint is easy to modify with filters and the drop-in can be replaced if it fails.Not much to go wrong as long as you keep them away from leaky alkalines. With a little searching you can find older models like the Rayovac Sportsman or a Chrome Eveready often at reasonable prices if you like the old style metal lights.

Last edited:

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650:Skilhunt H03. At $30 you'd be hard pressed to find a better light, heck, this holds its own against some higher priced angle lights.

AA: Jaxman E3 Nichia 219b.$20 for neat little AA high CRI light? Yeah!

AAA: Lumintop Tool Nichia 219b cu or ti: Might be cheating here a little but easily found for ~$30.

billcoe

Newly Enlightened
Convoy S2
Budget Light Forum A6
Nitecore Tube

But I suspect that the Astrolux S41 Nichia would be on the list if I ever bought one.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Most of my 2016 purchases were Thrunite. Multiple variations of Ti0 ($5), Ti3 ($13), T10 ($25), 1Av2 ($30), 1Av3 ($30), TN4A ($50). More budget friendly than either the Fenix' and Surefire' lights I had been buying before finding Thrunite. No problems with any of them. All of my other lights have been retired, and replaced by a Thrunite...and that includes in the house, vehicles, and edc.

If I had to pick 3, I'd pick the AA models over the AAA (Ti0-3)

Last edited: