• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Yuji high cri 5mm LEDS group buy

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
For folks that have received theirs, if anybody wants to know of a 1xAAA host, I found out the Sunwayman R01A is unpotted and I was able to solder one in. It was tricky due to the small size, but patience and modest soldering skills are enough to do the swap. I have pictures of how the pill comes apart if needed.

The R01A doesn't seem to be quite as durable or efficient as the Fenix E01, but it is small and well-regulated.

oe6tYbjEMuP-tZjMBQMOeY3jdhHMuNZrK4wEKKucc_C0MF2L-qHqCT35whz46NC05_uunXl3T0jHtYPOs9vpQ5keHrQsrf1qy3oAHemj-Go7ANZWR6tKkgCFwBRjAKLv4BwvO0ms8JUd74MYX6yIu1u5sxJfviJUcNF7tnojKeb8QMxSDKi562ccP9Bly8_S4hnd_iX7WssKl3E4BbqbTrtxLY2XRIztxBGXfySypRGPpz6rCt6RlCAQlaGLDLVnHPVaBClg3w3tROGavubvnURM306ALcG0HBExaNa8ZHLxlZFCwd4ZcVNH9rj9Ipt5qiMkgrlDTexvInDDhk0pDw5ROMT0jXZdTSEU04WKnLLNT8-ybLuAgEPj6HA_JFzHnLl__69KUi6MAtR_b4InKQRBVxzPMP4eoeiWcyWzezbw_ZS6bx5tk4D7P0u9pOrJBwYq3tfVgRNIBqzbENPPJiFM9mF0BkykXQ0irmd_RLs18SH4bNCSGRQKpMcqvAkHC4hHJvVhrPCjulcUKh4hRPTsx8gKqS-BfeiJOk9b8MpXKJ_90q-SI2-i-9ImJ_QCXOMCTSGk1WCp5yUMI7Gd1guvChYEx07ZBKez7de6ktK51WkeZbtE=w900-h400-no

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 5mm LED fits a TAD's e-series socket. Easily focused in an e1 bezel, providing very nice beam. ZERO tint shift.

One interesting observation though. When powered by a 3V cr123, the cct is about the nominal value of 3200. But when powered by a 3.7V rcr123, the cct shifts to much higher temperature, providing a gorgeous ~4000K light. So kind of nice overdrive in the LED world.

IMG_3532_zpsnddupmoa.jpg

Last edited:

Gt390

Newly Enlightened
Excellent looking tint lucky. How is the brightness compared to original on the r01a?

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
If any of these LED's gets freed up by any on the list who have changed their mind, please put me down for both 3200k and 5600k versions.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent looking tint lucky. How is the brightness compared to original on the r01a?

Similar ballpark, but obviously more flood, less throw. I'd have dig through my notes to be sure, but I think I was careful to use exactly the same settings for each photo, so it should be a good comparison.

I measured current at the LED as 23 mA. The Yuji is rated 6-8 lumens at 20 mA, so it should be right around there. It might actually be a bit more, because with low currents like this, the internal resistance of the ammeter can unintentionally reduce the current.

There were more modding ideas in this thread. Coin cell lights are a popular and easy one. Leanburn found these LED's also seem to survive just fine direct driven on 2 alkaline batteries - not even using a resistor. That also sounded very easy as a replacement for a bi-pin bulb, such as a Maglite. I think at least one person put one in a Gerber Infinity Ultra, which is probably overdriven.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?424438-5mm-LEDs-Any-love-left

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 5mm LED fits a TAD's e-series socket. Easily focused in an e1 bezel, providing very nice beam. ZERO tint shift.

One interesting observation though. When powered by a 3V cr123, the cct is about the nominal value of 3200. But when powered by a 3.7V rcr123, the cct shifts to much higher temperature, providing a gorgeous ~4000K light. So kind of nice overdrive in the LED world.

Wow! 3.7V is a lot to put into such an easily-driven LED as this. I can only imagine it significantly reduces the life of the LED, but it's great that it seems to be working so far. The thought of a Yuji is a Surefire is awesome!

Gt390

Newly Enlightened
I would like to see pics of the pill removal on the r01a if you get a chance. I may pick one up if the soldering isn't to delicate.

phosphor22

Enlightened
I would like to see pics of the pill removal on the r01a if you get a chance. I may pick one up if the soldering isn't to delicate.
+1

and, thanks much Ma Tumba for coordinating all of this - got my Yuji LED's in the mail! 😀

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will do. It's probably going to be a couple days before I have the chance to get the pictures uploaded.

gunga

Flashaholic
I heard it's a bit dim in a Gerber infinity ultra. That said, I have a couple modded with GS LEDs. I may as well swap one with the yuji. The other remains in the bail out bag with the Nichia GS. I'll have some fun with the other.

I also have 4 icon irix 2 headlamps. I'll need to try the LEDS in some.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
After everyone has theirs...we should evolve this thread (or start a new one) on how you have used these great LEDs for modification or whole new builds. It would be quite interesting to see the results.