Z2 Combat Light

Some of my fav's

Speaking of triple nichia, the end 4 are p60 nichia's
L2mEDiAl.jpg

Tall order to outdo ven when it comes to most interesting lights photo. :thumbsup:

~ CG

scout24

Flashaholic
Kestrel- Is the 7Z/ 2x18650 Zerores/ Triple still in your stable? I should bump that build thread... 😁

(At the risk of going off-topic...)

dirtynorseman

Newly Enlightened
Those are some amazing looking lights ven. Surefire 6P is at the top of my list for next light. I do have a hard time leaving anything stock so should be perfect.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the 16650's require modification/boring to the Z2 body? Which rechargeable batteries can be used with no modifications?

dirtynorseman,
You can use either 16650 rechargeable Li-ion cells, or 17670 cells, in the Z2 without any modifications being done to your light. These days, because of more R&D being done to 16650 cells, certain 16650 cells have more storage capacity than the 17670 cell. Paying attention to voltage, you could use either a single 16670 cell (3.7 volts), or two 16340 cells (7.4 volts) in your Z2. There are aftermarket choices for incan lamp assemblies in either 3.7v, or 7.4v, as well. Lots of options. Rechargeable Li-ion cells are frequently referred to as 4.2 volts, but that is their "resting voltage". When you put them in something and turn it on, their voltage immediately (well, within nanoseconds...) drops to 3.7 volts. Some led modules safe for 7.4 volts will also run at full output on 3.7v for a briefer period, and some will not.

ven

Flashaholic

Awesome family, love the z3!!! Also a fan of the g2z,
EHp7nnll.jpg

Very nice collection there Ven.

Thank you sir

^^ Ven is the beam shots Sportac triple 219b tint?

The beam pics are the incand drop in, here another of said
P1jbAkpl.jpg

IMHO its an amazing beam, and although weak in todays lumens, can still hold its own for quality. For CRI it of course kicks LED's a55! Hot spot is a little too focused for my work uses, but does get some use still. Also have a few bulbs at home for the nostalgia times(and mr fixers incand week)
HC7ZsGLl.jpg

I love the E incand as well
B2qDx33l.jpg

dSnbZ6hl.jpg

NwNAVzTl.jpg

All be them a little under driven on sanyo 16650 fuel(4.35v), the beam is still super nice
Tall order to outdo ven when it comes to most interesting lights photo. :thumbsup:

~ CG
Thank you for kind words CG

Those are some amazing looking lights ven. Surefire 6P is at the top of my list for next light. I do have a hard time leaving anything stock so should be perfect.

Thank you, there are many too add over time. 6p a must, the c2 another. Beauty is, you can swap the engines around when ever(p60) you feel. Back to the 80's and 90's with incand flavours. Triples and quads of now for huge output, with programmable drivers, oslon flat for crazy throw(even in the small p60 reflector). Various malkoff p60's as well........................enjoy the ride.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Kestrel- Is the 7Z/ 2x18650 Zerores/ Triple still in your stable? I should bump that build thread...
You bet, it's the longest one, a slot from the right; My all-time favorite 'big light', but only 1/2" longer than a 2x17500 'C3' for example. :)

Awesome family, love the z3!!! [...]
Thx; but actually no Z3 in that pic; I owned a /very/ nice one for a while, but it crossed the Atlantic after an offer I couldn't refuse - IMO the Z3 is the rarest production 'Z' (with the possible exception of the 12Z).
But I do prefer the earlier 9Z's slightly more, which explains the selection in my pic above.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I learn something everyday, i had to google fu both and see . The z3 is the one that came out after the 9z. So confusing haha, but i am a surefire noob.

Very :cool:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have always found it interesting that the rare Z3 was the most recent model (besides the Z2), but I'm thinking that sales were lower than the previous models because the grip ring C2/C3 now competed with them for market share, leading to only a short production run - there were no C's to compete with the 6 & 9Z's in their heyday.

And the three-cell SF's have always been less popular than the two-cell versions - despite the increase in performance & efficiency with the third cell; I have always preferred these longer versions for that reason.
And then the monster 18650's came out, finally edging out the last of the 3xCR123 SF's.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I am yet to add one of these, I have had a few chances as well. Cell choice is the reason why I never jumped at the times. It's been very close, as with a couple of C3's ,which I also love the look of. Not sure what would work, would not want to bore it for 2x 18500(do have a couple of bored surefire, but like the idea of keeping the original strength more than extra output, maybe more so in a longer light). So limited to 16 ,maybe 17mm diameter cells.

Or I could just man up and feed 3xcr123 cells:p

z3 and c3 could be next years surefire additions, providing I find them at right time!

dirtynorseman

Newly Enlightened
I was wanting to add a bezel ring but looking at this Z2 it looks like it isn't one piece with no removable ring. Did the Z44 head come in different configurations as far the bezel goes?

13yj5gw.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Yes the earlier ones afaik did not have the bezel ring. I dropped mine a few months back and dented the end. How the lens did not break is beyond me. A little gentle persuasion with a mallet soon got it round again(originally off a z2, then fitted on 6p when dropped)
fEhlS54l.jpg

Back to round(kind of)
LDeHbcWl.jpg

Plastic rings are junk
nfy6zEfl.jpg

All with zeno rings Dave mentioned, defo make a difference. If the light is going to get beat on some, worth looking for a z44/with ring.

Have many xeno's, all pretty good and nicely made. Think i have all the flavours as well, brushed or matte, shiny and even gold(black of course)
matte silver
OIvl7HMl.jpg

Found an old pic with that bezel on my home z2, also pre mod bored v54 6p(has a ring in since pic)
rXhND1hl.jpg