Zebralight C3 4x18650, 9000 lumens!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regardless of the cell, they need another BIG BOY! Even if it's less than a direct replacement for the SC6330, something like a 26650 format would be nice. But I wouldn't be against another 3x18650 either.

While I agree a big Zebralight would be cool, I really doubt they'll do one. It's not their niche. They build small lights you can pocket.

Getting into the larger market might be a mistake for them. People will expect more output than Zebralight is likely to provide, since they don't overdrive their LEDs. Or if they use big XHP70.2 emitters to provide that output, they'll be all flood. And if Zebralight wants to still build on the small side, they'll have problems with heat.

A 1x26650 might not be too bad, but it's too large to be pocketable. And, a 26650 light is really only useful if you want a larger reflector for throw, which again isn't Zebralight's niche.

I'd rather see them build a throwier version of the SC600 Plus. Something with its output, but the throw of the HI. The MkIV HI output wasn't an improvement over the MkIII HI. Do it right with the MkV.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand why someone would buy a 20700 or 21700 based light. What are the chances you're going to be able to get replacement cells for it in a few years?...

The chances are excellent. Power tool manufacturers (Bosch, Metabo, DeWalt) are already using (and planning on using) 20650, 20700, and 21700 cells in their battery packs.

One example:
Milwaukee has considered stepping up in size to 20700 or 20650 cells for their next generation of highest capacity battery packs, but decided against it.

They will be going with 21700 cells, which add an extra 1 mm in diameter to the 20700 cells some other brands have decided to go with.

It doesn't seem very obvious, but I'm told that 21700 cells offers more desirable balance between power output, thermal behavior, and capacity, and will allow for a longer development roadmap.

Going to 20700 sized cells, or 20650, would still be a step up from 18650 cells, but Milwaukee wants to LEAP up. They said that they don't want to take any "half steps."

http://toolguyd.com/milwaukees-next-generation-battery-tech-advanced-discussion/

Last edited:

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I agree a big Zebralight would be cool, I really doubt they'll do one. It's not their niche. They build small lights you can pocket.

...but see, that's why the C3 makes sense for them. Its a big triple emitter monster with 3 cells, but in a pocketable form factor. Its kind of exactly what Zebralight should do, if they're going to do a big light. I'm 100% bought into the idea...but feeling like it may never happen :(

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would that be pocketable? Maybe in a coat pocket.

Because its only as thick as a "normal" zebralight. Its wider, shaped like a flask, but would still pocket pretty well I think, especially if it was "sculpted" a bit. At least, it would pocket a lot easier than something like a Noctigon Meteor or S6330, some other round multi-cell light. I'm not saying its ideal, or even desired, and I'm certainly not saying it would be my new edc, but I don't see any other quad-18650, triple-emitter lights that even come close to being pocketable.

Here's a few photos of a very rough mock-up I made, back when it was first announced.

clxxFIB.jpg

HDRrmDa.jpg

5cvkVXF.jpg

GsGQGyB.jpg

Just a guess on the possible internal layout, but its possible...
IhMvBrR.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
The SC6330 wasn't pocketable IMO. Maybe they gave up on that since many other manufacturers were doing the popcan lights too, for much less $$?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because its only as thick as a "normal" zebralight. Its wider, shaped like a flask, but would still pocket pretty well I think, especially if it was "sculpted" a bit. At least, it would pocket a lot easier than something like a Noctigon Meteor or S6330, some other round multi-cell light. I'm not saying its ideal, or even desired, and I'm certainly not saying it would be my new edc, but I don't see any other quad-18650, triple-emitter lights that even come close to being pocketable.

Interesting idea.

It's a much smaller product, so not really comparable, but it sounds like owners of the Cool Fall Spy 007 actually really like the flat form factor on that scale.

Klarus and Nitecore have also both made flat form factor flashlights.

Also, I just rediscovered this interesting little light, which I'm told is a commemorative revival of a light that was pretty much universally owned by folks in Finland at some point in the past:
https://www.airam.fi/en/product/v7759-6905/8710476/retro-metal-flashlight-3w-led-120lm/206/1

Keitho

Enlightened
Its wider, shaped like a flask, but would still pocket pretty well I think, especially if it was "sculpted" a bit.

Oh, now THAT is a good idea...make the battery compartment double-walled so that it could hold a couple shots worth of fluid. Basically, build a flask around the battery compartment, and use the liquid inside for some additional thermal mass and cooling. I'd buy a C3/flask in a second!

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
ts wider, shaped like a flask, but would still pocket pretty well I think, especially if it was "sculpted" a bit.
Good idea. Rather than having the battery compartment be completely flat, make it slightly curved so it conforms to "butt-shape" like a hip flask. To do this the batteries would likely need to be mounted vertically.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
18 months later...my hopes are dwindling.

Yeah, I don't think Zebralight will ever do a 4x18650 light. However, if you buy a BLF Q8 (which is a 4x18650 light) and a firmware cable, you should be able to put a Zebralight-like UI on it. Its firmware is open-source, and there might be a version which is sort of like Zebralight. If not, you could always modify it yourself.

As for 9000 lumens, you'd have to replace the XP-L emitters for something like XHP50.2, and a new driver. But the host is built to be very moddable.

Okay, I realize this is not something you're going to want to do, but throw the idea up on BLF and who knows?

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I don't think Zebralight will ever do a 4x18650 light. However, if you buy a BLF Q8 (which is a 4x18650 light) and a firmware cable, you should be able to put a Zebralight-like UI on it. Its firmware is open-source, and there might be a version which is sort of like Zebralight. If not, you could always modify it yourself.

As for 9000 lumens, you'd have to replace the XP-L emitters for something like XHP50.2, and a new driver. But the host is built to be very moddable.

Okay, I realize this is not something you're going to want to do, but throw the idea up on BLF and who knows?
Yeah this isn't hard to do. There's already a very derivative "Zebralight" firmware floating around based on TKs FSM platform, it's not hard to do. That said, the "selling point" of the C3 wasn't really just a pile of emitters with a pile of cells and Zebra's UI. It was all that in a small, pocketable form. Good luck "edc"ing a Q8...

(Yes I realize I used the past tense here. I gave up on this light a while ago. If it happens I'll be thrilled and surprised, but if it doesn't...well, I've already come to terms with that)

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That said, the "selling point" of the C3 wasn't really just a pile of emitters with a pile of cells and Zebra's UI. It was all that in a small, pocketable form. Good luck "edc"ing a Q8...

I suppose "pocketable" is rather subjective. I find the SC600 to be pocketable in a jacket, but too big for pants. Anything much bigger, I wouldn't even want in a jacket pocket. For pants, it has to be SC53 size or smaller. (I prefer a small 1xAAA for pants.)

4x18650 is fun, but I never carry one around on walks. Just too heavy and awkward. Maybe a ZL C3 would be just small enough to carry on some short walks?

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the shape that made this one appealing. It's not round like most multi-emitter lights. Check the dimensions, it's shaped like a flask, or a large deck of cards. Should've been much more pocketable than similar round lights.
I suppose "pocketable" is rather subjective. I find the SC600 to be pocketable in a jacket, but too big for pants. Anything much bigger, I wouldn't even want in a jacket pocket. For pants, it has to be SC53 size or smaller. (I prefer a small 1xAAA for pants.)

4x18650 is fun, but I never carry one around on walks. Just too heavy and awkward. Maybe a ZL C3 would be just small enough to carry on some short walks?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the shape that made this one appealing. It's not round like most multi-emitter lights. Check the dimensions, it's shaped like a flask, or a large deck of cards. Should've been much more pocketable than similar round lights.

Sure, but then where would I keep my micky and clown-sized cards?

markr6

Flashaholic
I just like Zebralights, especially unique ones like this. I certainly don't need it and wouldn't use it as much as my others. Price would be the only deciding factor for me. Couldn't go over $200 that's for sure.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just like Zebralights, especially unique ones like this. I certainly don't need it and wouldn't use it as much as my others. Price would be the only deciding factor for me. Couldn't go over $200 that's for sure.

Yeah, if they did sell one, I think it would sell for $199. Though I'm not sure they'd use the XHP70 or 70.2, as that would result in almost pure flood. If they used the 50.2 (like on the SC600 Plus), it would probably come in at around 6900 lumens, but at least have a bit of throw. More practical, IMO.

Disclaimer: I've never bought a frosted Zebralight, and don't understand the desire for one. I can put a piece of diffuser film on the lens if I temporarily want all flood.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm no word on the C3.

I think this light is the new Q50. Zebralight is known for occasionally announcing vaporware lights.

Latest posts