ZebraLight H50 - impressions thread Part 2

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried my Zebra H50-Q5 for the 1st time today. Like it! I think I will eventually love it. I have no problem with any glare without the Glare Guard; I wear glasses and have maybe a little deeper eye sockets than average.

So far I think it's great, I might be buying another as a gift. I'm just waiting to hear back on applicability for the application.

Good Job Zebra Light! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

sorg

Newly Enlightened
Hi !

First of all, sorry for my poor english .

I intend to offer a headlamp to my father-in-law as a present for Christmas.

He is a sailor, and enjoys spending night and days on his boat.
He is currently using a poor headlamp when working on the boat and a powerful xenon torch when trying to locate something far in the sea.
I guess, that he would appreciate a better headlamp, and the Zebralight seems a very good compromise for him. The headlamp would not be used for sailing, he needs to sail in the dark to have its eyes used to the dark ; the main use would be used mainly to do some maintenance works after sunset , cooking, fishing, reading, etc...
Of course the ideal lamp would also have the possibility to switch from flood to throw mode in order to locate floating objects in the water or a boat far at the skyline.

The zebralight seems to perfect for my father in law, but i have one concern: "how waterproof is it ?" There is great risk for the lamp tho fall in the water... Is is floating ? Would it survive to such a fall ?

Is there any other good headlamp at reasonable price ?
The main feature needed are:
- Headlamp
- Good Flood
- High autonomy
- several levels
- Waterproof
- standard batteries only (no CR123 not easily findable in France)
Optional feature appreciated:
- Glow in the dark
- Possibility to switch between flood and throw mode
- optional red filter

Thank you in advance for your help!

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ c_c : I've only seen the Zebralight in dim light conditions, not dark conditions so I can't say for sure but unless you are very close to it [less than 4 ft] I don't think it would be annoying. It also has three levels, so when you will be close you can lower the brightness. It has a very useful beam. I was VERY impressed by it. Because of its small size I think people will always have it with them, either wearing or carrying, when they need it. I find I sometimes take my larger headlamp off in camp for comfort.

@ sorg : Welcome to CPF. I think the Zebralight would be great on a boat. It has a very useful beam for working on things and seeing things close by [less than 5 meters]. The silicone rubber that holds the light to the headband is glow-in-the-dark. On the water you would want to have a handheld torch that throws for looking at things outside the boat. I don't think you would find a single headlamp that could do both things well that isn't very expensive, and it would have to be much bigger and less comfortable to wear than the Zebra. You could attach something to the headband that would make it float if dropped in the water.

GaryF

Enlightened
You could attach something to the headband that would make it float if dropped in the water.

+1

It won't float by itself, but it should be easy to attach something.The ZebraLight is waterproof, and it has a very good seal with two snug fitting o rings on the battery tube

NiceGuyGaz

Newly Enlightened
Hi, first post on Candlepowerforums!

I got my Zebralight H50 yesterday and just thought I'd make a couple of observations.

Firstly the GITD brackets - as commented they really pick up a glow, I actually charged one up by holding it over a desk lamp and then turned off all the lights and started reading a book by the light coming off the bracket! Try it :thumbsup:

Secondly, I have read of someone getting a Zebralight with a distinct green tint from the LED. This is principally why I am posting here because the tint from my Zebralight is an absolutely amazing, warm yellow glow.

I have many LED torches but not one of them is even close in how attractive and natural the Zebralights tint is. It reminds me slightly of an incandescent bulb just as its started to drain its batteries.

So am I lucky or is this tint common?

Anyway, thanks Zebralight, will definately be keeping an eye on you!

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say you were lucky - I got a pure white tint.
I had this luck with my Fenix L1D CE, it's very warm color, really excellent color rendition (better than with a warm white Seoul I have in my Tikka XP).

Burgess

Flashaholic
Was using/testing my new ZebraLight H50-Q5 tonight, while washing dishes.

Had a (by now) well-used Duracell Alkaline cell installed.
Before i began the dishes, the cell tested 1.27 volts, no load.
(that's after 24 hours of cell "resting")

Had the ZebraLight set on Medium.

Wanted to see (first-hand) what happens when battery is dying.

After perhaps 40 minutes, the headlamp suddenly went OUT ! :candle:

NO dropping to Low mode. Just total darkness !

I was indeed surprised. :confused:

After perhaps 30 to 60 seconds, the headlamp (surprisingly) came back ON !

But it was much dimmer than before.

Can't even say if it was at "Low-level" output, or maybe even dimmer than that.

Bart stated, in post #2, that:
"It will step down and eventually go into direct drive."

So, perhaps mine DID end up in Direct-Drive mode.

BUT, only after leaving me in the dark for 30 to 60 seconds.

Is this normal performance ? Just curious.

Does it have something to do with the Q5 emitter's higher Vf ?

BTW, i once again checked the Duracell's voltage,
20 minutes after the ZebraLight "came back from the dead",
and i (quickly) got a reading of 1.09 volts, no load.

Anyone have any ideas here ?

Perhaps i shouldn't have been so eager and anxious to get a Q5 emitter ?

All responses are welcomed. :wave:

_

paulr

Flashaholic
Direct drive means there's no voltage boost and the led is just getting the battery voltage. This is what was called moon mode in the days of the Arc LS. The LS ran on a 3 volt cr123a and direct drive meant the battery was down to 2.7 volts or so, enough to still make useful light from a Luxeon. With an out-of-boost 1aa light, direct drive means 1.0 volts or so, which means pitch darkness! Anyway alkalines do recover after a while. I'd have tried turning the light off, waiting a minute, then turning it on low. I do remember Zebralight posting that the low voltage cutout of this light wasn't as spectacularly low as it is for some lights (notably the Arc AAA) but alkalines pretty much suck if you're going to use high mode at all, so except in a pinch, you should always be running this light on nimh or lithium.

DM51

Flashaholic
FYI

I have posted a review of the ZL Q5 after two weeks of constant use in the rainforest jungle of Guyana, South America.

This report can be found at "CP>Flashlights>FlashlightReviews>FieldTest on Zebralight Q5" (http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=178839)

Enjoy and comment.

John
I just noticed something quite interesting. I clicked on your link, then because I won't have time to read your review until later, I tried to subscribe to that thread. I could not do so, which was a puzzle.

Then I noticed that you had omitted the www. before the candlepow..etc, so I added that in - and then I was able to subscribe to it. Perhaps you could change the link.

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
DM51

Sorry about that. I just copied the url from my browser bar, so I am surprised it was omitted. Happy to fix it.

John

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
Burgess

My only experience was two nights ago when using a ZL Q5 with a lithium L91 which had been used pretty much constantly for three weeks. While walking downstairs in the dark it flashed off (off, perhaps 3-5 seconds) and on again, repeatedly. I then noticed that I could not move up to a brighter level (I had been using low amost excludively around the house).

After resting this particular battery for 24 hrs, I find that I can get all 3 levels again, tho I don't know how long it will provide sufficient power to stay above ZL's programmed cut off.

At any rate, my experience was that the light dropped down in output and then flashed, not shutting off as you described. But my batt was an L91 which undoubtedly performs differently than an alky.

John

P.S. About 10 minutes later: using the same L91, the light went dark altogether, not flashing like before. So I guess that batt is cooked, going into the pile for my old CMG Infinity to suck the last drops out of.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Absolutely no apology necessary - in fact it was interesting to see that rather unexpected effect of omitting the "www" part.

BTW, I have now read your review - very well done - many thanks.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I took my ZL H50 on my backpacking trip to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. With shorter days, it was already pitch dark at 6:30pm at the bottom of the canyon at Phantom Ranch. I found the ZL great for around camp duties like cooking dinner or reading in my tent. It was the perfect light to sit on the picnic table while I made entries in my journal.

However, I found the diffuse light not much good for those 2am walks to the latrine. My Rayovac Sportsman Extreme fared much better for lighting the trail ahead of me.

In 2 nights, I never changed out the L91 Lithium AA in either light. The Rayovac wasn't on much, as I didn't do any nightime trail hiking (never really wise in the Grand Canyon with trails next to several hundred feet of vertical exposure).

nzbazza

Enlightened
I took my ZL H50 on my backpacking trip to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

BD,

What was the approx % usage for each light you had as you were taking a variety of lights.

With my first trip with the ZL H50 I probably used my P2D-RB100 about 50% of the time, mainly due to a 3hr night-hike.

Last edited:

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
In 2 nights, I never changed out the L91 Lithium AA in either light.

Based on our two weeks experience with the ZL, you were never even close to being out of batt with that light. My wife and I each got 4-6 hrs per night of constant ON at various levels for more than 15 nights. Efficient little buggar!!

GaryF

Enlightened
Is this normal performance ?

Testing mine with NiMH (Eneloop 2000mAh) on medium, it just went out after about 14 hours. I happened to be right there, and I saw no flashes. I probably didn't wait more than a few seconds to turn it off. After waiting a minute or so, I was able to turn it on for a short run, accessing all levels, but after a short run it cut off again. I never saw flashing. I also probably didn't wait the 30-60 seconds you did to see if it would pop back on.. Next time I have a depleted cell in it I will try it and see what happens.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you all for the responses.

Another thing i noticed yesterday:

Out of my 15 remaining Duracell 2650 NiMH cells,
6 of 'em are absolutely TOO BIG (diameter) to fit my ZebraLight ! :(

No way, not even close.

These Duracells are all "made in Japan", and were
purchased a year ago. (Wal-mart)

As i understand, they are mfg. by Sanyo.

Now, i'm not claiming that it's a MAJOR problem.

Just gotta' beware of the fact.

I would be, ummm, disappointed if i was down to my last 4-pack of batteries,

and None of them could FIT into my headlamp. :candle:
:hairpull: ___ :wtf:

Just a "Heads-Up" to y'all.

_

GaryF

Enlightened
Out of my 15 remaining Duracell 2650 NiMH cells,
6 of 'em are absolutely TOO BIG (diameter) to fit my ZebraLight ! :(

Isn't that strange that 6 out of 15 batteries of the same brand and capacity don't fit? :thinking: Not doubting your experience, but I wonder about those cells.

So far I've tried the following without problem:

Sanyo Eneloop
Sanyo 2700 NiMH
Rayovac Hybrid
Powerizer 2500
Energizer Alkaline
Energizer L91 Lithium

The tube is a good fit (no rattle), but they all slide freely in and out.