ZebraLight H50 - impressions thread Part 2

Patriot

Flashaholic
All of this Zebralight talk finally got to me. I ordered a Q5 yesterday. I don't own an upper end headlamp so I'm looking forward to using this. :)

Is the Sanyo Eneloop going to be a good match for this light?

nzbazza

Enlightened
All of this Zebralight talk finally got to me. I ordered a Q5 yesterday. I don't own an upper end headlamp so I'm looking forward to using this. :)

Is the Sanyo Eneloop going to be a good match for this light?

I run my H50-Q5 on eneloops and have had no issues.

IThe runtime with eneloops is about 1/3 less than manufacturers stated times though. I get 1:30-1:40 on Hi, and about 14hr on medium. Haven't done a runtime test on low yet - I don't have the patience!

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today. Took maybe just under two weeks from date of Paypal, not bad.
Love the included accessories. The glow brackets really glow. I noticed them glowing when I took them inside at noon on a clear day.
I find the flood a little too floody. I wish the lens was more of a lens that concentrated the light some at all and cut the total angle down some for a little more light pointing straight forward. Just a little. More of a 45-60 degree beam than over 100 degrees.
It is really small, light weight, and has nice smooth threads. works very well with a good twist effort. Not too easy, so I feel confident pocketing it, and not too hard.
The tint of mine is nice and white with just a tiny little warm greenish yellow in it. I got the Q5 with WG tint to make sure I didn't get a ghostly blue because I plan to use it outside. Can't wait to try it camping, but it will have a hard time beating the perfect tint of my PT EOS with SV1H Lux1 and 25 degree optic.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Got mine today. Took maybe just under two weeks from date of Paypal, not bad.
Love the included accessories. The glow brackets really glow. I noticed them glowing when I took them inside at noon on a clear day.
I find the flood a little too floody. I wish the lens was more of a lens that concentrated the light some at all and cut the total angle down some for a little more light pointing straight forward. Just a little. More of a 45-60 degree beam than over 100 degrees.
It is really small, light weight, and has nice smooth threads. works very well with a good twist effort. Not too easy, so I feel confident pocketing it, and not too hard.
The tint of mine is nice and white with just a tiny little warm greenish yellow in it. I got the Q5 with WG tint to make sure I didn't get a ghostly blue because I plan to use it outside. Can't wait to try it camping, but it will have a hard time beating the perfect tint of my PT EOS with SV1H Lux1 and 25 degree optic.

I don't have mine yet, but I'm really looking forward to the extreme flood, mainly because that's completely different from everything else I own.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Used mine for real this evening. :)

Had to perform some minor repair work on our old wooden bookcase.

Since i needed both hands (!), i got my ZebraLight and switched to High.

Splendid ! Truly a joy to use. Can't hardly even tell yer' wearing it.

The total-flood beam was just perfect for very close work like this.

Very happy with its performance. :twothumbs

_

mega_lumens

Enlightened
informative reviews, but can anyone take some outdoor night shots in the "real world" environment? Can't wait to see how ZebraLight will implement suggestions into new models.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight - if you are reading this - any information on the new headlamp models? Can we expect something new from ZL before the end of this year?

drewboy

Newly Enlightened
My Zebralight shipped on 10/20 and arrived on 11/2. AM going to take it out this weekend on a backpacking trip and try it out.

ZebraLight

Enlightened
We are working on two models, a CR123A/RCR123 powered H30 and a 18650 powered H60. The H30 should be out before the end of the year and the H60 will be out right after that. Both will use a camera style push button switch, a narrower beam (around 75 degree) and recessed lens.

The camera style switch works like this:

light press and hold --------- momentary low
further press when mom low - momentary high
hard press and hold --------- momentary high
light click ------------------- constant low
hard click ------------------- constant high
double light click ------------ constant medium
light click when on ---------- off

Zebralight - if you are reading this - any information on the new headlamp models? Can we expect something new from ZL before the end of this year?

Last edited:

Daekar

Enlightened
Wow, looks promising! Just make sure that you don't put a hotspot in the beam - a slightly narrower angle will be OK, but keep it all flood. It's amazing the difference it makes to have all the same light intensity - that makes it BY FAR my favorite headlamp I've ever used, including my modded PT Apex.

DM51

Flashaholic
Way back in the previous thread, you mentioned an AA light with the emitter similar to the H50 (i.e. maximum flood) on the end of the tube, and a ring on the other end for a lanyard.

This would be the perfect compact tent light, to hang from a tent ridge-pole or wherever.

Any chance?

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I finally got my Q5, 18 days after shipping, 21 days after ordering!
It was worth the wait because it's a beautifully made light with a great beam, smooth operation and nice accessories.
I'm looking forward to using it in the real world soon and comparing to my other headlamps.

Edit- Never mind my question about the area around the lens, it was an optical illusion...

I also wonder if my Pentagonlight MOLLE with the clip removed will fit in the spare ZL headband bracket?

Last edited:

ZebraLight

Enlightened
Way back in the previous thread, you mentioned an AA light with the emitter similar to the H50 (i.e. maximum flood) on the end of the tube, and a ring on the other end for a lanyard.

This would be the perfect compact tent light, to hang from a tent ridge-pole or wherever.

Any chance?

Yes, we are working on it.

ZebraLight

Enlightened
We will start shipping from Plano, Texas for all US buyers in late November.

I finally got my Q5, 18 days after shipping, 21 days after ordering!
It was worth the wait because it's a beautifully made light with a great beam, smooth operation and nice accessories.
I'm looking forward to using it in the real world soon and comparing to my other headlamps.

Edit- Never mind my question about the area around the lens, it was an optical illusion...

I also wonder if my Pentagonlight MOLLE with the clip removed will fit in the spare ZL headband bracket?

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZebraLight, will the H30 and H60 offer a higher output than the H50 due to the higher battery voltage available?

I second Daekar opinion in that it would be OK to limit the beam some but please DO NOT add a hotspot to the beam pattern - it is so nice the way it is.

The interface you outlined in the post sounds very nice, although I don't think momentary is really needed.

Last edited:

spoonrobot

Enlightened
I just placed my order for a H50-Q5 last night.

This light seems to be one of the unoticed few that really bring new ideas to the flashlight world, I am very excited about this style of light. Years ago I used to remove the bezel from the Longbow Mini and use it with the bare LED exposed for up close tasks and general around the house use since the broad flood was so handy.

I'm glad the design in intended for headlamp use but seems to have no problem transfering over to general handheld use.

Any users use their light exclusively in the handheld role? I bought mine intending to use it this way. I figure between it and the D-Mini I will have everything covered.