ZebraLight H50 - impressions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you send PM's, to interested members that missed the first round, when more Q5's are available?

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received mine in MI today.

Innovative design, very nice beam for reading or any tasks at arms length.

I noticed mine doesn't advance modes if you turn it on and off rapidly. It will only shift if there is a slight pause (~1 sec?) of off.

Too bad the clip doesn't work together with the hood though, it would help to protect the dome when clipped to a pocket.

Overall a neat light, and very useful beam in a trick package. All the extras are nice, even overkill.

Spinning of the light in the GID bracket wasn't a problem for me, but you could always offset the light a bit and have one of the silicone bands grip around the thicker head of the light to prevent rotation. This can be done with the hood in place as well.

If I could dream of a solution for multiple lens/beam patterns, it would be a two-piece head, with the end portion a rotating ring holding 2 or more tiny optics. This would rotate relative to the LED with detents for correct alignment. Then the light would have twisties on both end of the light. One the switch and the other the lens selector. The center of the light should be knurled since you'd have to grab it to operate the stiffer twisty. Water resistance could be maintained by sealing the LED to the "fixed" portion of the head as it is now, then the selector ring need not be a barrier. I'd still use O-rings though, to keep dirt out from under the optics. Personally I'd pay double for such a feature.

Not to take away from it's current design at all - it is a nicely designed and built tool, fairly priced for the overall package and quality.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Received mine in MI today.

Too bad the clip doesn't work together with the hood though, it would help to protect the dome when clipped to a pocket.

If I'm understanding correctly, it can be accomplished. It's a tight squeeze but I'm able to slide the hood between the arms of the clip. Try prying them apart slightly as you slide the hood down.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shakeylegs, thanks. I tried it and I can get it to work with the dome opposite the clip, but not when it's on the same side.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Have you tried installing the clip in the opposite direction. When clipped to your shirt pocket the emitter would be down and the twisty tailcap would be up. In this configuration, the clip actually works better with thin fabrics. My only concern is that the "elbows" of the clip rub slightly on the twisty and might eventually cause some wear. Also, in this position, it's less likely that the emitter will shine directly into your eyes. I love my Zebra!!!!!
George, if you ever get to California, I'm buying you the best dinner in town.

Last edited:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Woo hoo! My Zebralight arrived today. Had to chase down the postlady as I had to sign for the receipt of the package :) Will post my review tonight and compare it against the closest competition I have to the ZL - my Rayovac Sportsman's Extreme 1AA.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is anyone having issues with their Zebralight Q5?

Mine was flickering, so I cleaned the contacts, but that didn't fix it. I've tried different cells, cleaning, and anything short of disassembling it but it's still acting up.

Some of the time it works fine, others it flickers. Now it simply doesn't advance modes, and comes on relatively bright but without the characteristic flash before the hi mode.

If I hold the body and rock the head, it will dim to the proper level. Alternately, if it is in low mode and I rock the head, it will go bright.

There seemes to be a contact issue either internal in the head, or between the head and tube. I don't want to disassemble it and possibly void the warranty.

Zebralight, can you advise me on what to do?

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I e-mailed George to pass along my suggestion of making a flashlight version of the H50. As I mentionesd in my previous post I though it would make for a great floody pocket/keychain light for those that prefer the AA form factor. His response was this:

"Thanks for the suggestions. We do have a K50 under development. The K50 is almost the same size as the H50, but with the emitter on the end using the same lens, two levels, twistie, same high efficiency circuit as in the H50."

This is awesome news because I love the size and beam of the H50. Can't wait until these come out. Good job George and ZebraLight!!

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I e-mailed George to pass along my suggestion of making a flashlight version of the H50. As I mentionesd in my previous post I though it would make for a great floody pocket/keychain light for those that prefer the AA form factor. His response was this:

"Thanks for the suggestions. We do have a K50 under development. The K50 is almost the same size as the H50, but with the emitter on the end using the same lens, two levels, twistie, same high efficiency circuit as in the H50."

This is awesome news because I love the size and beam of the H50. Can't wait until these come out. Good job George and ZebraLight!!

Very nice! I could use one of those...they really need to make it three levels (or insure that low is the nice 2.6 lumens like the H50-Q5).

CFU

DM51

Flashaholic
Very good info, Oddjob - thanks.

This would be every bit as useful as the H50, maybe even more so. Apart from the obvious - handheld flood - it would be superb for hanging in a tent and giving all-round illumination. It would also have a better orientation for clipping to a cap, using the same clip as the H50.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Here's a couple of comparison shots to show the size of the ZL compared to the Rayovac 1AA headlamp:

IMG_0479Small.jpg

IMG_0480Small.jpg

Even with the diffuser in place, the ROV doesn't put out as broad a spill as the ZL does.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Zebralight for such a speedy resolution to my H50-Q5 that flickers.
Great customer service!

I'm in for some of the K50 as well. Though the H50 sans bracket is already a great tasklight that tailstands and can illuminate a work area as is. Perfect for those under-cabinet plumbing chores, etc.

shakeylegs

Enlightened

Thanks Oddjob, very exciting news!:party:
Now, George, should I send you my checkbook or my credit card? I had a feeling as the H50 progressed that I was becoming a Zebraddict! (Can I say that?):devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.