Zebralight plans MKIII's and SC63 release for this year

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Highest output possible", given the significant design constraints. I do understand PID, you're right that it's better than timed step down. But when the size is so small ("I want the smallest and brightest light" is a pretty common refrain), with the lack of mass you'll eventually have to pay the piper. PID only delays it, you still have to pay.

It really depends on the environment and time of year. If one lives in a cold climate and/or there is good air circulation then runtime will be shorter with very little step down. If in a hot climate it will be much more noticeable especially in a stagnant air mass. However the notion that some have proposed of not running it on PID for long is incorrect, which is what I was addressing specifically. These lights are designed to run at the turbo for as long as needed or until the battery gives out. It won't hurt the light or the LED at all :) Yes the PID will step it down some but as I mentioned above in a cold climate or somewhere with good air circulation the drop in output will be minimal. Much better than a timed step down which is always the same no matter the conditions.

Swan, yes the SC600 does allow for higher output for longer as confirmed in Selfbuilts reviews! The SC5 seems to have either more heatsinking in the head or a thicker tube, not sure which but it's probably to compensate for the extra heat generated by the boost circuit pulling so many amps to get 500+ lumens. I'm ready to see some SC63 pics and preorders up on Zebralights website, I think I may try the CW version.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened
Sure, they will run at the H1 _level_ for as long as you like. But not only will they heat up beyond some users' comfort, the output will correspondingly decrease. If your use is in the cold, or well-ventilated (bike light!), yes that is much better.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, they will run at the H1 _level_ for as long as you like. But not only will they heat up beyond some users' comfort, the output will correspondingly decrease. If your use is in the cold, or well-ventilated (bike light!), yes that is much better.

Agreed some may not be able to handle it but for me personally I can run H1 for as long as I like no issues whatsoever. The light itself certainly is capable of running as long as a person wants at H1 without risking damage to the light or LED. In most real world uses the presence of a persons hand and/or slight breezes will keep it from lowering much in output. I imagine it would make an excellent bike light also!

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took a shower with my mkiii with it on high mode. It handled it like a champ, no noticeable dimming during. It got quite warm tho at the head, but completely holdable on the body.

Hahaha. I just dunk my lights into a bucket with 18" of cold water to make sure that their makers ain't citing temperature step down to mask not having a boost circuit.

Any change in output might have been too gradual for you to detect without a lux meter.

fnsooner

Enlightened
To me, the most glaring thing on the Zebralight Product Comparison list is that the SC62 has been moved to the Discontinued Product list. It was expected but seeing it there is sad.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm glad now that I sold my MKIII for the upcoming SC63. If the thing ends up not shedding heat enough, i.e. worse than the SC62, then I lost. But I doubt that. Really excited to see the photos soon!!

recDNA

Flashaholic
The XHP35 is actually a much more efficient LED and has 90+ cri options available. It's possible that in replacing the discontinued SC62d that ZL makes an updated version with a 90+ CRI emitter putting out 900-1k lumens. I certainly would buy one or two if they do that.
Nah. I want more throw

rockminer

Newly Enlightened
Really looking forward to these new lights. I've held off buying the 62 just to see what the 63 offers.

fnsooner

Enlightened
They're not up on Zebralight's website yet. So, no go at the moment.

If history tells us anything, they will be available for preorder and then we will get them in a month or so. When will they be available for preorder? Any day now we hope.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I know this is Zebralight that we are talking about, but they did update their Google's document within the last day and the release date is still 12/15. I wonder if it is too much to expect for the pre-orders and pics to go up today.

markr6

Flashaholic
They often seem to announce/release things on Fridays. I don't know what the significance is there. Maybe we'll see something even though it is new years day.

markr6

Flashaholic
Interesting. Thanks. The Mk.III HI is NW. Wonder if that's because it's a de-domed XHP35, or they only sourced NW emitters.

They've been launching NW versions first lately, which is different. Maybe that will just be the norm now. I doubt it's actually dedomed when they can source the HI to begin with. Well, Olight...

XHP35, 5000K, 90CRI. Yes please! Unfortunately, I must prepare myself for bottom-of-the-barrel low CRI green crap so I'm not disappointed :(

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
IF they guarantee 90+ CRI I will buy yet another light I do not need. Sc63w still requires unprotected battery like mark III?