Zebralight SC32d // SC62d

RIX TUX

Enlightened
I got this light last night. A few initial comments (others have shared the same things)
- The tint is beautiful
- Output is sufficient but doesn't blow you away like the SC600 MKII
- The annodization isn't nearly as nice as my SC52 or the SC600 MKII. It's a little more slippery and feels cheaper. The annodization on my SC52 is just perfect, but the SC62d left me a little disappointed to be honest.
- The switch is squishier than the other ZLs but not really a problem.
Overall I like it, but it doesn't wow me like my SC52 and SC600 MKII.
yep.......
nice tint, nice output for everyday tasks and good runtimes but there is not that that 500 - 900 lmn burst could and should be there.
I think all switches on zl's wiil be like this now, I'm ok with it
it uses 18650 battery so why not have more output? c'mon zl

LEDburn

Enlightened
Maybe the SC62 is as hard to produce as a SC600 but feel due to lower output can't justify the same price?

When I asked them about potential SC62w I was told:

"The board space is bit smaller than what we can manage (production wise) right now. The H600/H602 has a slightly bigger space. But I am sure sooner or later we'll be able to find some smaller components and make it happen."

I have asked why not just focus on runtime and spec it similar to a SC52w and jam the guts from one of them in so will let you know what they say.

From that statement above, it seems they want to have the same hand-frying-high as a SC/H600 which I think is waaay off the mark.
SC62 feels better than a SC52 in my hand and I sure wont notice the lumen deficiency on 500L if it lasts a decent while!!!

RIX TUX

Enlightened
Maybe the SC62 is as hard to produce as a SC600 but feel due to lower output can't justify the same price?

When I asked them about potential SC62w I was told:

"The board space is bit smaller than what we can manage (production wise) right now. The H600/H602 has a slightly bigger space. But I am sure sooner or later we'll be able to find some smaller components and make it happen."

I have asked why not just focus on runtime and spec it similar to a SC52w and jam the guts from one of them in so will let you know what they say.

From that statement above, it seems they want to have the same hand-frying-high as a SC/H600 which I think is waaay off the mark.
SC62 feels better than a SC52 in my hand and I sure wont notice the lumen deficiency on 500L if it lasts a decent while!!!
I had a sc62 but felt it needed more output. Nice light, felt great, lightweight with a nice beam but would have been better with a turbo blast but the high setting is just right for daily use. And my sc600 II has a 300 setting with more runtime than the sc62 so the sc600 is more versatile and the same cost.

markr6

Flashaholic
I had a sc62 but felt it needed more output. Nice light, felt great, lightweight with a nice beam but would have been better with a turbo blast but the high setting is just right for daily use. And my sc600 II has a 300 setting with more runtime than the sc62 so the sc600 is more versatile and the same cost.

That's a good way to put it. I agree about the SC600, unless:

1. you want a more comfortable carry/have issues with carrying anything larger than a 1xAA. The SC62d size works really well in a pocket.
2. you are a picky tint snob. Even though I am, the SC600w is still very nice on mine and don't really NEED the SC62d tint. I'm perfectly happy with both of them.

LEDburn

Enlightened
I asked why SC52 electronics could not be installed with the possibility of having a slightly brighter high. I certainly don't feel the need for 1000+ lumens from a light this size.

This is their respose:

Thanks for your suggestions. George, the man behind all these flashlight/headlamp designs, wanted to have a full blown XM-L2 version similar to the SC600/H600. From what I know, some components such as the extrememly high resolution temperature sensor have gotten in the way that the production process might be too difficult to manage (for example, each SC600/H600 has to go through a lengthy time consuming calibration process to set the PID parameters). I'll pass along your suggstions of having a 'not so fancy' SC62/SC62w that can be produced right now.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked why SC52 electronics could not be installed with the possibility of having a slightly brighter high. I certainly don't feel the need for 1000+ lumens from a light this size.

This is their respose:

Thanks for your suggestions. George, the man behind all these flashlight/headlamp designs, wanted to have a full blown XM-L2 version similar to the SC600/H600. From what I know, some components such as the extrememly high resolution temperature sensor have gotten in the way that the production process might be too difficult to manage (for example, each SC600/H600 has to go through a lengthy time consuming calibration process to set the PID parameters). I'll pass along your suggstions of having a 'not so fancy' SC62/SC62w that can be produced right now.

Actually, I really like the high output of the SC600. Rather than having the light cap out at 500 lumnens like on the SC52, how about having it run at the same current as an SC600 L2. So around 1000 lumens. Instead of the PID temperature control, just used a timed turbo like on the SC52 or earlier SC600. Maybe 3 minutes at turbo, then step down to 450 lumens.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the SC62d as is. I'm not fond of a drastic timed step down or a super high turbo that makes the light too hot to hold. Before the SC62, I only ever used my SC600 in the 356 lumen setting. Loved the output and runtime, but I was willing to sacrifice a little of each for the smaller form factor of the sc62. Tint is awesome and the beam pattern is also nice change in the current sc62. Just my personal preference.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the SC62d as is. I'm not fond of a drastic timed step down or a super high turbo that makes the light too hot to hold. Before the SC62, I only ever used my SC600 in the 356 lumen setting. Loved the output and runtime, but I was willing to sacrifice a little of each for the smaller form factor of the sc62. Tint is awesome and the beam pattern is also nice change in the current sc62. Just my personal preference.

Different people have different preferences. Usually my EDC gets used for brief periods only and is recharged everyday. So I don't need a runtime king.

The SC62d is a nice light, with a good tint and small form factor for an 18650. But I have 16340 lights that are 3x as bright and half the size. And 18650 lights that are similar in size and 5x as bright. Good tint is nice... but doesn't quite make up for not having good output. And if I want longer runtime... that's what medium modes are for.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mind posting here those lights or PMing them to me? Sounds good!

Actually in reference to 16340 lights I was thinking of my Xtar WK42. It's smaller and lighter than a Zebralight SC52. In stock form it comes with a cool white XML U2 and outputs 300 lumens on high. It also feels beautiful in the hand.

I performed the following mods on mine:
1. Replaced emitter with 5000k XM-L2 neutral white emitter.
2. Replaced stock aluminum star with Noctigon direct copper star
3. Drilled out part of the inside of the head to allow room for a deeper driver.
4. Replaced driver with 3.04 amp Nanjg 105c with DrJones lumodrv firmware. This firmware has an awesome UI: click and hold from off to start at moonlight and then ramp up. Click and hold again to ramp the other way. For ramping, the driver has 34 visually linear brightness steps. Release the button at any point during ramping to stop ramping. Double-click shortcut to max, triple-click for 25%, Quadruple-click for strobe, Quintuple click to enter momentary mode. Single-click from off to turn the light on in last used mode. To turn off the light, click once from on after waiting 2 seconds since last pressing the button. The UI also has hidden blinky and strobe modes, a battery voltage meter, and built-in low-voltage stepdown and cutoff. The shortcuts are also all programmable.
5. Replaced stock switch with Radio Shack micro-momentary tact switch.
6. Replaced driver wire with with 22 gauge silicone
7. Solder-braided the tailcap spring to reduce resistance.

I run the light on IMR 16340 cells. Output at the emitter is around 1100 lumens, which should translate to around 900 or so out the front. It's much brighter than my SC62d or even my early model SC600. Runtime at max power isn't long (about 12 minutes) ... but that's what intermediate modes are for.

Last edited:

hatman

Enlightened
Actually in reference to 16340 lights I was thinking of my Xtar WK42. It's smaller and lighter than a Zebralight SC52. In stock form it comes with a cool white XML U2 and outputs 300 lumens on high. It also feels beautiful in the hand.

I performed the following mods on mine:
1. Replaced emitter with 5000k XM-L2 neutral white emitter.
2. Replaced stock aluminum star with Noctigon direct copper star
3. Drilled out part of the inside of the head to allow room for a deeper driver.
4. Replaced driver with 3.04 amp Nanjg 105c with DrJones lumodrv firmware. This firmware has an awesome UI: click and hold from off to start at moonlight and then ramp up. Click and hold again to ramp the other way. For ramping, the driver has 34 visually linear brightness steps. Release the button at any point during ramping to stop ramping. Double-click shortcut to max, triple-click for 25%, Quadruple-click for strobe, Quintuple click to enter momentary mode. Single-click from off to turn the light on in last used mode. To turn off the light, click once from on after waiting 2 seconds since last pressing the button. The UI also has hidden blinky and strobe modes, a battery voltage meter, and built-in low-voltage stepdown and cutoff. The shortcuts are also all programmable.
5. Replaced stock switch with Radio Shack micro-momentary tact switch.
6. Replaced driver wire with with 22 gauge silicone
7. Solder-braided the tailcap spring to reduce resistance.

I run the light on IMR 16340 cells. Output at the emitter is around 1100 lumens, which should translate to around 900 or so out the front. It's much brighter than my SC62d or even my early model SC600. Runtime at max power isn't long (about 12 minutes) ... but that's what intermediate modes are for.

Thanks, Fireclaw.

It sounds like you are saying that the stock SC52W is brighter with better tint than the stock WK42.

Enlightened
Different people have different preferences. Usually my EDC gets used for brief periods only and is recharged everyday. So I don't need a runtime king. The SC62d is a nice light, with a good tint and small form factor for an 18650. But I have 16340 lights that are 3x as bright and half the size. And 18650 lights that are similar in size and 5x as bright. Good tint is nice... but doesn't quite make up for not having good output. And if I want longer runtime... that's what medium modes are for.
A bit misleading to say you have others that are 1/2 the size and 3x as bright and leave it at that before coming back later to add the asterisk. If you make half a dozen major mods to any light I'm sure you could turn anything into a hot rod. That's not a revelation nor should it really be counted against anything stock.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit misleading to say you have others that are 1/2 the size and 3x as bright and leave it at that before coming back later to add the asterisk. If you make half a dozen major mods to any light I'm sure you could turn anything into a hot rod. That's not a revelation nor should it really be counted against anything stock.

Good point.

I never said I had stock lights that were 3x as bright in CR123 size, but I can see how others might assume that.

These days I mod 2/3 of the new lights I buy (sometimes with mods considerably more extensive than what I did to that WK42), so I tend to automatically just lump my modded lights with my unmodded lights.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
The SC62 doesn't work with 2xcr123 but today I tested it with 1xcr123 and it works fine on low and medium.
To be a little Macgyverish I used some tinfoil instead of a proper spacer.
I don't know what runtime to get out of this but I'll guess that it's pretty good on the lower outputs.
Good to know if in a pinch and only have / can get cr123.

Is there any runtime graphs for the sc62?
What voltage does the battery have when you get 1,2,3 or 4 blinks from the batterymeter?
At what voltage does it step down from hi to med and from med to low?
Maybe it's out there but I haven't seen it.

I find it more interesting or at least just as interesting to know how much runtime I have left when I get an indication that the battery is getting low than just knowing total runtime with fresh cell.

Swede74

Enlightened
Is there any runtime graphs for the sc62?
What voltage does the battery have when you get 1,2,3 or 4 blinks from the batterymeter?
At what voltage does it step down from hi to med and from med to low?
Maybe it's out there but I haven't seen it.

I find it more interesting or at least just as interesting to know how much runtime I have left when I get an indication that the battery is getting low than just knowing total runtime with fresh cell.

Hej Gunnar,

I think I have a partial answer for you. The light (my specimen) steps down from high to med when the voltage is somewhere between 2.97 V and 3.28 V.

The step-down to medium occurred sometime between 6:00 hours and 6:25.

For this test I used a ~2.5 years old AW 2900 mAh cell that has been through a few (<5) full and 20-25 partial cycles.

Zebralight SC62d @145 lumen / AW 2900 mAh
TimeVoltageFlashes
(H2 - 145 lm)Test #1Test #2
Test #1Test #2
00:00:004.184.1844
01:00:004.034.0244
02:00:003.913.90
4 4**
03:00:003.753.74N/A*3
04:00:003.663.6522
05:00:003.54-2-
06:00:003.28-1-
06:25:002.97-1-

* I forgot to run the built-in battery meter here. I will redo the first three (I actually did four :)) hours of the test later today or tomorrow and update the table when I have the missing data.

** Immediately after the light was turned off the battery meter flashed only three times. I then took the battery out, let it rest a few minutes, checked the voltage with a DMM, and when I reinserted it and tried the built-in meter again, it flashed four times.

Updated 2014-05-05

Last edited: