Zebralight SC5 MKII

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, this sounds great. But ya know, I've got my SC62D, my SC5W, and I think I'm good. OK, maybe I want an SC32W or -D or -C or whatever warm/hi-cri option is currently available in the real world. But I'm not going to get all worked up about this.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Contacted Zebralight and they said the new UI will be introduced on an 18650 light this year.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contacted Zebralight and they said the new UI will be introduced on an 18650 light this year.

They told me that there are no plans for a "c" variant of the 18650 models in the near future and with the "d Plus" only released a while back, I am guessing it will just be a standard model(5-step 80CRI) light:(.

I don't understand why they don't put the 4000K high CRI XP-L they are using in this light in a 18650 model? I personally think single AA lights are the least appealing lights over anything other then AAA, especially in a huge body like the SC5. I think an enthusiast targeted high CRI model would sell much better in another cell format like 18650, 16340, or even 18350. With so many people bugging ZL for a high CRI variant("c" in particular) of the SC63, SC600, or SC32 I don't understand why they would chose to go with a SC5 variant? It seems like most people didn't even like the SC5 because of its extremely portly form factor. Maybe this MKII will have a smaller body like the SC52?

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC5 huge body ? Is great for pocket carry. To me is the most portable and tough 1xAA light there is.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC5 huge body ? Is great for pocket carry. To me is the most portable and tough 1xAA light there is.
Maybe huge was a bit of a strong adjective but, it is quite a bit larger and heavier then a lot of the other lights in its class(single AA lights) including the SC52. This surprised a lot of people when it was unveiled because compact and light is normally ZL's thing. It is fatter in diameter then the SC63 and only just over a cm shorter which is a bit ridiculous imo considering how much more output and runtime the SC63 has.

As for toughness, while ZL's are relatively tough, I don't think most people would classify them anywhere near the toughest. That honor would likely go to the likes of Malkoff, Elzetta, Surefire, etc.

YMMV of course but, I would much rather have an SC63, SC32, or even SC600 body using this emitter. I think that many of the enthusiast types that a high CRI model like this appeal to would rather this as well. Comparatively, single AA lights don't offer many advantages over other single cell lights(especially with a model like the SC5 that doesn't support 14500). The only real advantage, in fact, is the availability and low cost of primary batteries. And, that is more of an advantage for average users as apposed to the enthusiast types who usually buy high CRI lights because they often use/have rechargeable cells.

Last edited:

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only consider ZL and think of ZL only with Eneloop, referring to AA models. No matter how you slice it is smaller than 18650. Yea 18650 has its place, and my SC62 has proven that time and time again but anything 18650 is specialized lightning in my view. 30 years ago and 20 years ago and 10 years ago all I was using was D and C batteries lightning. In the past 5 years or more I am done with any lights D or C type and have not purchased any such battery. ZL has been the primary reason for that and of course the advancements in led technology and drivers. 18650 is a whole another animal and ZL also mastered that format but that is more if someone uses the light an entire day, days long trips, needs to reach out, etc. yes for sure 18650 is perfect fit. For 80% of the time ZL with Eneloop AA is what I use.

Last edited:

Cobraman502

Enlightened
They told me that there are no plans for a "c" variant of the 18650 models in the near future and with the "d Plus" only released a while back, I am guessing it will just be a standard model(5-step 80CRI) light:(.

I don't understand why they don't put the 4000K high CRI XP-L they are using in this light in a 18650 model? I personally think single AA lights are the least appealing lights over anything other then AAA, especially in a huge body like the SC5. I think an enthusiast targeted high CRI model would sell much better in another cell format like 18650, 16340, or even 18350. With so many people bugging ZL for a high CRI variant("c" in particular) of the SC63, SC600, or SC32 I don't understand why they would chose to go with a SC5 variant? It seems like most people didn't even like the SC5 because of its extremely portly form factor. Maybe this MKII will have a smaller body like the SC52?

I just bought the sc52w for EDC as I wanted an AA light with the ZL UI that I like. I chose the ZL over the olight because of the UI and the aa cells. The sc5 is too close in size to my SC600w MKIII hi to consider it. Might as well just carry that for edc and have 2x more light and $70 still in my pocket.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
I only consider ZL and think of ZL only with Eneloop, referring to AA models. No matter how you slice it is smaller than 18650. Yea 18650 has its place, and my SC62 has proven that time and time again but anything 18650 is specialized lightning in my view. 30 years ago and 20 years ago and 10 years ago all I was using was D and C batteries lightning. In the past 5 years or more I am done with any lights D or C type and have not purchased any such battery. ZL has been the primary reason for that and of course the advancements in led technology and drivers. 18650 is a whole another animal and ZL also mastered that format but that is more if someone uses the light an entire day, days long trips, needs to reach out, etc. yes for sure 18650 is perfect fit. For 80% of the time ZL with Eneloop AA is what I use.

Precisely why I just bought my sc52w. I know in a pinch I can grab a bunch of AAs and be good for a while with this light. I really like the ZL UI with multiple moonlight levels. I know some people don't like the UI but I find it the best UI switch combination. Also the support for 14500 cells at 500+ lumens put me over the edge in this one. Sc5 does not support 14500s and is too big.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

The SC52 can use 14500 or Eneloops(NiMH). I am not sure why ZL didn't design the SC5 to take both as well. Hopefully the MKII will allow both cell types.

The SC63 is actually thinner in diameter and lighter in weight then the SC5(with or without the batteries). The SC5 is just over a cm shorter(11.2mm) but, imo an increase of diameter and/or weight is more noticeable in your pocket then length. Personally, I will take an 11.2mm increase in length in exchange for a thinner body, lighter weight, almost triple the available output(you don't have to use it but, its nice to have it available), and over 4 times the runtime but YMMV of course.

I like Eneloop's too but, in a light the size of the SC5 it just doesn't seem practical. If I wanted small, I would go with the SC32 or even the SC52 if I was hell bent on AA's.

I just don't understand why ZL would chose the SC5 to put this emitter in. Especially, when there is already a "c" version of the SC5. It seam like a bad decision to me and I bet a "c" version of the SC63, SC32, or SC600 with this emitter would have sold much better.

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps ZL is planning to update more of their models with the same emitter they're using in the upcoming SC5 MK2? I know I'm excited about it and may buy one depending on the final specs, design, etc.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC52 can use 14500 or Eneloops(NiMH). I am not sure why ZL didn't design the SC5 to take both as well. Hopefully the MKII will allow both cell types.
For efficiency. The wider the voltage range, the less efficient. Also I think they would have issues with the boost driver.

The SC63 is actually thinner in diameter and lighter in weight then the SC5(with or without the batteries). The SC5 is just over a cm shorter(11.2mm) but, imo an increase of diameter and/or weight is more noticeable in your pocket then length. Personally, I will take an 11.2mm increase in length in exchange for a thinner body, lighter weight, almost triple the available output(you don't have to use it but, its nice to have it available), and over 4 times the runtime but YMMV of course.

I like Eneloop's too but, in a light the size of the SC5 it just doesn't seem practical. If I wanted small, I would go with the SC32 or even the SC52 if I was hell bent on AA's.

I just don't understand why ZL would chose the SC5 to put this emitter in. Especially, when there is already a "c" version of the SC5. It seam like a bad decision to me and I bet a "c" version of the SC63, SC32, or SC600 with this emitter would have sold much better.
I agree the size doesn't work for me. I'd love the SC5 driver in a SC52 body. An SC52c would warrant an upgrade from my SC52w, especially if it had the newer fully programmable UI. I'm really hoping we see a SC64c this year. Fully programmable with a 4000K Hi-CRI XP-L. Along with headlamp models with the same.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps ZL is planning to update more of their models with the same emitter they're using in the upcoming SC5 MK2? I know I'm excited about it and may buy one depending on the final specs, design, etc.
They aren't unfortunately. I asked them that exact question in email last week. They said there is no plans for a SC63c or SC600c in the near future. I didn't ask about the SC32 however.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
For efficiency. The wider the voltage range, the less efficient.

I agree the size doesn't work for me. I'd love the SC5 driver in a SC52 body. An SC52c would warrant an upgrade from my SC52w, especially if it had the newer fully programmable UI. I'm really hoping we see a SC64c this year. Fully programmable with a 4000K Hi-CRI XP-L. Along with headlamp models with the sI ame.

While this might be true in theory, it doesn't make much of a difference in practice. The SC52, with the wider voltage range, gets almost the exact same efficiency as the SC5 and it is an older design.

Yeah, an SC52c with this emitter would be slightly more appealing(due to its smaller size and probable higher output on 14500)but, I likely still wouldn't buy it. I just don't buy AA lights anymore these days. If I am gonna go small I would rather have a SC32c. Or, how about a new 18350 powered light(SC42c?). It could run on 16340, 18350, or CR123a, now that would be sweet. Unfortunately, ZL has confirmed that no SC64c is coming anytime soon, I was hoping for that as well. I don't see the 18650 powered headlamps being updated anytime soon either because there already is c & d models that were released not very long ago.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
While this might be true in theory, it doesn't make much of a difference in practice. The SC52, with the wider voltage range, gets almost the exact same efficiency as the SC5 and it is an older design.
We will just have to disagree on what we consider "almost exact same efficiency". I wouldn't consider 16.7% increase almost exact. I'd consider that a significant step in efficiency.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
We will just have to disagree on what we consider "almost exact same efficiency". I wouldn't consider 16.7% increase almost exact. I'd consider that a significant step in efficiency.

I am not looking for an argument but, where do you get that number from? I think you may have done your calculations incorrectly. The closest mode to compare between the SC5 and SC52 L2 is the lowest H2 mode(115 vs 116 lumens).

SC5 - 115 lumens for 3.5 hours on an Eneloop Pro(2450mAh)

SC52 L2 - 116 lumens for 3 hours on a regular Eneloop(2000mAh)

So, if you do the math...

2000/2450 = 0.816326531

So the Eneloop has about 18% less capacity then the Eneloop Pro.

3 hours + 18.3673469% = 3.55 hours(rounded) runtime on a 2450mAh Eneloop Pro

So both the SC5 and the SC52 L2 get almost exactly the same runtime(efficiency) if you go by ZL's numbers. In fact, the SC52 L2 actually gets slightly better efficiency because it was at 116 vs 115 lumens.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
They aren't unfortunately. I asked them that exact question in email last week. They said there is no plans for a SC63c or SC600c in the near future. I didn't ask about the SC32 however.

When I emailed them last they said they might be coming out with the MK4 this year and an SC64 but weren't sure. Just an assumption here but if they use the new programmable circuits in one or both then maybe they will also use the same led as they plan to use in the SC5 MK2, assuming it performs well.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not looking for an argument but, where do you get that number from? I think you may have done your calculations incorrectly.

SC5 - 115 lumens for 3.5 hours on an Eneloop Pro(2450mAh)

SC52 L2 - 116 lumens for 3 hours on a regular Eneloop(2000mAh)
I did not see where they stated the battery used. Surprised that the SC5 isn't more efficient, maybe due to the design of the boost driver.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I emailed them last they said they might be coming out with the MK4 this year and an SC64 but weren't sure. Just an assumption here but if they use the new programmable circuits in one or both then maybe they will also use the same led as they plan to use in the SC5 MK2, assuming it performs well.

I sure hope they do come out with a "c" variant of one of their 18650 based lights one day but, it doesn't look like it will be for quite some time considering what they told me unfortunately. Who knows which emitter they will use by then. I would think they likely have a limited supply of the XP-L's so, maybe they won't have any left by then? Honestly, I kind of hope they go with something newer then the old generation XP-L for the 18650 lights anyway. Cree makes a 2-step 90+ CRI XP-L2 Easywhite in 4000K that would be a good option. They also make a 2-step 90+ CRI XHP50 in 4000K. Or, how about a Nichia for a change ZL:poke:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not see where they stated the battery used. Surprised that the SC5 isn't more efficient, maybe due to the design of the boost driver.

Generally, I don't think drivers take a very large efficiency hit by having a higher voltage range, especially when just driving a 3V emitter. It is probably just a very slight difference. And, a small efficiency hit is worth it for the added cell compatibility and increased output potential on Li-ion imo.