Zebralight SC5 MKII

markr6

Flashaholic
I was reminded once again last night that I just don't care much for 1xAA lights. I feel like I hardly used this light, but after a battery check I got 1 flash. 1.19v.

I know it's not the light's fault, but running it on medium with a few high bursts here and there still ran it down before I knew it. OTOH, I feel like I never charge my SC63w...when I do it's something like topping it off from 75%.

Just a personal thing...but I still feel the need for 1xAA lights even though I never ran into the end of the world where everyone was making a run for batteries and I needed an easily available AA.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reminded once again last night that I just don't care much for 1xAA lights. I feel like I hardly used this light, but after a battery check I got 1 flash. 1.19v.

I know it's not the light's fault, but running it on medium with a few high bursts here and there still ran it down before I knew it. OTOH, I feel like I never charge my SC63w...when I do it's something like topping it off from 75%.

Just a personal thing...but I still feel the need for 1xAA lights even though I never ran into the end of the world where everyone was making a run for batteries and I needed an easily available AA.
This is why I carry a SC62w. However, I love having several AA lights around, and they work well for low and moonlight modes.

ven

Flashaholic
Grats, your first Zebra after so many years:twothumbs

I'm sure you'll get more:popcorn:

A good way to know exactly which mode you've programmed into each level is crank it up to the max and follow the brightness table provided by Zebralight as you step down.

Cheers TCY, i am enjoying it and been using it in work some more today. I tend to top my cell/s off either later in the day or in the morning. After quite a bit of on/off use, the V showed 1.27v. So enough to get through a days light use. Thanks for the tip:)

KhazukX

Newly Enlightened

Hello. May I know what brand of battery you used and an estimate on the runtime you got on medium before it drained? I'm planning to purchase either a SC5w Mk 2 or SC63c as backup/rotation EDC for my SC600 Mk 3 HI soon. Thank you!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
running it on medium with a few high bursts here and there still ran it down before I knew it. OTOH, I feel like I never charge my SC63w...when I do it's something like topping it off from 75%.

high bursts use high amounts of power

SC5 Eneloop AA 2450mAh @ 1.5v = 3.675 mW
SC63 Generic 18650 3000mAh @3.7v = 11,100 mW… 3 times more capacity

Keitho

Enlightened
high bursts use high amounts of power

SC5 Eneloop AA 2450mAh @ 1.5v = 3.675 mW
SC63 Generic 18650 3000mAh @3.7v = 11,100 mW… 3 times more capacity
The story is actually a bit worse than that for eneloops when using brighter settings. I use two different kinds of 18650 cells that get more than 10 watt-hours when discharged down to 3.0v (that's a limit on some of my lights), and that is when drawing 5A. At only 2A, eneloops give less than 2.5 Wh. So, if using brighter modes, the 18650 can give more than 4 times the capacity; or, more realistically, roughly double the current for double the time.

That doesn't stop me from loving my AA lights. Had one with me all day yesterday, ended up being useful at a nighttime bbq last night.

terjee

Enlightened
I'm planning to purchase either a SC5w Mk 2 or SC63c as backup/rotation EDC for my SC600 Mk 3 HI soon. Thank you!

I wouldn't see the AA-lights as a backup or rotation for an SC600, I'd see it more as a better high-capacity AAA-replacement.

I've almost settled on the SC5c Mk II, but it won't be backup for my SC600 Mk III HI. It'll be a higher capacity (and hopefully more durable) alternative to my keychain carried Lumintop Tool, and specifically to give me a good AA-option.

Not trying to steer you away from it, not at all, just make sure you're happy with the limitations and expectations from it. Your needs might be different from mine, and for you it might be a great SC600 backup. :)

KhazukX

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't see the AA-lights as a backup or rotation for an SC600, I'd see it more as a better high-capacity AAA-replacement.

I've almost settled on the SC5c Mk II, but it won't be backup for my SC600 Mk III HI. It'll be a higher capacity (and hopefully more durable) alternative to my keychain carried Lumintop Tool, and specifically to give me a good AA-option.

Not trying to steer you away from it, not at all, just make sure you're happy with the limitations and expectations from it. Your needs might be different from mine, and for you it might be a great SC600 backup. :)

I appreciate the feedback! :) You're right, my light needs are different from most. I work exclusively from home (online), seldom leaves the house at all. EDC/rotation for me means something else that I can use to prolong the lifespan of the few lights I currently own. Not that I use them a lot (at most a few minutes a day, if at all). I do want something that I can use in case of a prolonged emergency and the availability of AA batteries is the main factor that makes me consider this light.

pantagana23

Newly Enlightened
Just got an SC5w yesterday, dropping a few photos next to Maratac AA Titanium:

043b6ca8b68af069db4b9901dc3b9392.jpg

082192a7b8deb9add6831bbca1fa8d43.jpg

61abaa4a4c193d6cad245e8607d0f85a.jpg

It's pretty much a small tank, as you can see from the pictures (for you who don't have it already).

I give it an A-, because the white is very close to yellowish tint of Nichia, which I'm not a big fan of.

Anway, a new edc for now.

markr6

Flashaholic
I've never had a yellowish nichia. That would be a total bummer!

I take that back! I remember buying a triple-nichia Eagtac dropin for my T25C which was very yellow. But other than that they were all totally colorless.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a yellowish nichia. That would be a total bummer!

I take that back! I remember buying a triple-nichia Eagtac dropin for my T25C which was very yellow. But other than that they were all totally colorless.
I think it all depends on what you are comparing it to Mark. For instance, if you compare a 4000K Nichia(even one with the most pure tint on the planet, right on the BBL) to a 5500K light, it is always going to look yellow as warmer tints have more orange/yellow in the spectrum. He probably just prefers cooler CCT's.

ven

Flashaholic
I find the 219c 4000k a little towards yellow, i am sure optics and actual reflector type can effect the "tint" as well. I do have some 219c 4000k that are more of a creamy tint............with very little yellow. As you mark, both my sportac 219c's are towards yellow. However i have found the xp-l2 4000k on another level...............not towards, but quite yellow. Depending on where used, it is not much of an issue for me. So i can still enjoy the xp-l2's a bit. The xp-l2 4500k i prefer in the sc53w, but its all subjective anyway. Still cant beat the 219b's imho, i do prefer these the most............regardless of less lumens or not being as efficient. I would rather have 60mins of nice beam, than 70mins of not so nice!

Pantagana, it sure is a tank! Certainly a chunk for an AA light..................flip side is i actually like the form and i seem to prefer the feel of the sc5c over the sc53! The sc53 kind of almost feels too small in hand, where as the sc5c just feels more confident(not as easy to drop kind of thing).
r5HDqxJl.jpg

As long as its used alone, not mixed up with others in use...............i do enjoy the sc5c:)

pantagana23

Newly Enlightened
I think it all depends on what you are comparing it to Mark. For instance, if you compare a 4000K Nichia(even one with the most pure tint on the planet, right on the BBL) to a 5500K light, it is always going to look yellow as warmer tints have more orange/yellow in the spectrum. He probably just prefers cooler CCT's.

Yeah, that would be pretty much that. I've previously used Fenix LD22, which does have an adequate output, but is too long and you can't really differentiate much under this light. This is why I went for Maratac AA, being titianium and Nichia 219, hoping this would be "the last flashlight I'll ever buy as it's perfect". Now resembling colors, but the light seems like I'm in a '50s movie.
Then I saw the 5w: I'm thinking to myself - a pocket rocket, the light isn't as if the cops are behind me, nor a wax candle tint.
It is leaning more to neutral white than with Nichia, but still not my "light for retirement".

Or maybe I just got the diesase, who knows what's next X-D

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm to the point where I get a new light, turn it on, and know right away if it's too yellow, green, etc. Only then do I compare to be sure. The last two Zebralights I got I didn't even bother until later on; I knew they were a clean neutral white right away.

ven

Flashaholic
I agree Tac, i do find nichia most* of the time just work for me, most of the time straight away look good. The xp-l2 in the sc5c has looked great as well, just less frequent. I have had it look quite clean without much yellow a few times, but the majority of use started out very yellow(or like smoke stain kind of thing.........not nice!). I do think my ambient lighting around the house effects it significantly. Just some LED's are not as effected . Kind of frustrates me, also mean i will pick up/use certain lights less..............*Last night i had a clean 4500k 219b look "dirty" for a bit................so i know its my eyes/brain/ambient light effecting most of this. Of course the colour of the wall or ceiling plays a big part to. Maybe certain colour temps are just safer to use around the house, but then it all changes outside or in other lit places(work). So many variables...............good job we have so many lights:D

Flint Hills

Newly Enlightened
I got a light with a Nichia 219c 4000k recently. Really like the warm tint but I prefer the UI of the Zebralights, so I ordered an SC5c. Looking forward to it! I'll post my impressions once it comes in. I hope that it's at least somewhat similar to this 219c.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is an old thread but is the SC5 MKII still in production? They are not on the ZL site but they also have not been moved to the discontinued section of the product comparison chart.

JStraus

Newly Enlightened
I see a C and W version of the MKII when I search for SC5 available.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought 2 from gpknives a few days ago. Should arrive tomorrow. idky I just checked the gpknives product page, and this reseller is out of stock. Did I happen to buy their last 2? Or did some other CPFers buy the rest of the SC5c from gpknives?

So the new clip is compatible with the older models. Might one assume the old clip is compatible with the SC5c MkII? Let me know if anyone wants to swap the old chrome clip for my new black one.

I really don't know what to expect in tint. CPFers got some yellow, some green and at least one without any cast or colorless.

I'm not sure when it was moved in the spreadsheet, but SC5c is definitely out of production. I guess everyone retired theirs and no one is using it anymore, because after the initial months-long excitement for it... crickets.

Last edited: