Zebralight SC52 Owner's Thread

MattSPL

Enlightened
Nothing constructive to add - just that my SC52 is arriving today and I'm pretty excited!

Let us know what you think of the SC52.
I'm actually looking forward to winter so I get to use mine everyday walking the dogs :)

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened
The light is still great and the "go to" light for everything (have it since December).

Anyone knows of a red filter that would fit?

creyc

Enlightened
I posted about it in that other big SC52 thread, but since this is the owners thread..

My SC52w died the day I got it, actually the moment I put a li-ion battery in it. It was an AW 14500 IMR cell that had worked fine in my H502w headlight. (actually where the cell came from that day) To be safe I'm no longer using IMR's in my Zebralights, I'm not the first person to report issues with IMR cells and Zebralight products.

Otherwise a pretty decent light.

stevenkelby

Enlightened
I'm not the first person to report issues with IMR cells and Zebralight products.

As far as I can tell, you're the second :) And I'm not convinced it was the IMRs fault either. If only you had tried it on a normal lipo first.

creyc

Enlightened
As far as I can tell, you're the second :) And I'm not convinced it was the IMRs fault either. If only you had tried it on a normal lipo first.

Indeed it doesn't seem convincing the IMR/(LMR) would have caused that light to go :poof: considering it's the same voltage as an ICR and works in my other ZebraLights, but the other report I've seen also involved an IMR cell, and Zebralight customer service stated that IMR cells are unsupported by ZebraLight..soo I'm not really sure what to make of that other than they seem like a bad idea to run in a ZL product.

cxg231

Newly Enlightened
Let us know what you think of the SC52.

Thanks for asking! I just got mine last night, but my initial impressions are that the SC52 is well built. The reflector has a great combination of throw and spill IMO. Access to the three main modes is brilliant, love the tap for high and hold for low, couldn't be easier. Still working on figuring out the programming and intermediate levels. Not super intuitive. I read where some people think the switch is too recessed and too stiff, I must say it's pretty much perfect for me - not too much or too little resistance.

My gripes are all minor and mostly cosmetic. Not a huge fan of the green finish but the light will live either in my pocket or in the dark so that's not a big deal. Also not a fan of the shiny pocket clip. I think I'll take it off and paint it black, oh - and the clip is VERY stiff as has been mentioned many times. The LED also has a slight greenish tint - enough that it is noticeable but not enough to bother me.

In conclusion, pretty happy with the SC52 as far as first impressions go - we'll see how she holds up!:thumbsup:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to hear your comments cxg231.
You will get a feel for the levels after a while. If you haven't already, consider checking out a video of the torch to get a better understanding of how to set up the levels the way you want. Seems like no matter what the situation, the sc52 always has the right light level, quickly accessed. A great light.

viperxp

Enlightened
Got the SC52W for a couple of days before sending it back to Zebralight. Really liked the size, the feel and the UI. The clickie at first felt stiff, but got used to it really fast.
I just didn't get the steel bezel. It should protect the flashlight when it falls, as steel supposed to withstand falls better then aluminum, but in SC52 (and SC52W) it does not go as wide as the flashlight (just look at the flashlight pictures and you will understand me) so it doesn't function as I think it should. At Sunwayman, Convoy, and all other flashlights with a steel bezel it also serves that purpose.

markr6

Flashaholic
Got the SC52W for a couple of days before sending it back to Zebralight. Really liked the size, the feel and the UI. The clickie at first felt stiff, but got used to it really fast.
I just didn't get the steel bezel. It should protect the flashlight when it falls, as steel supposed to withstand falls better then aluminum, but in SC52 (and SC52W) it does not go as wide as the flashlight (just look at the flashlight pictures and you will understand me) so it doesn't function as I think it should. At Sunwayman, Convoy, and all other flashlights with a steel bezel it also serves that purpose.

Yeah I thought about this recently since I often cover the lens with my finger to get into medium mode so I'm not blinded (double clicking, going thru high...and I dont like waiting so long to go thru low). Anyway, while doing this I obviously noticed the lack of a recessed lens. That could cause problems if it hits the ground just right or another object. As for the bezel, I believe it's just press fitted to hold the lens. I'm guessing they skipped recessing the lens to keep the light as short as possible?

viperxp

Enlightened
As for the bezel, I believe it's just press fitted to hold the lens. I'm guessing they skipped recessing the lens to keep the light as short as possible?
This sounds just right, but I personally would like it to be a millimeter longer but withstand falls more gracefully.
Just hope it will be light enough and fall not often to see many sighs of wear.

MattSPL

Enlightened
Thanks for asking! I just got mine last night, but my initial impressions are that the SC52 is well built. The reflector has a great combination of throw and spill IMO. Access to the three main modes is brilliant, love the tap for high and hold for low, couldn't be easier. Still working on figuring out the programming and intermediate levels. Not super intuitive. I read where some people think the switch is too recessed and too stiff, I must say it's pretty much perfect for me - not too much or too little resistance.

My gripes are all minor and mostly cosmetic. Not a huge fan of the green finish but the light will live either in my pocket or in the dark so that's not a big deal. Also not a fan of the shiny pocket clip. I think I'll take it off and paint it black, oh - and the clip is VERY stiff as has been mentioned many times. The LED also has a slight greenish tint - enough that it is noticeable but not enough to bother me.

In conclusion, pretty happy with the SC52 as far as first impressions go - we'll see how she holds up!:thumbsup:

Good to hear you like it :thumbsup:

chaparral

Newly Enlightened
^ mine is tied with a Sunwayman V10 for EDC. I did drop it on concrete from about 4 feet/1.3m several months ago, it did land bezel first and the aluminum body does have the nicks to show for it but functioning has been utterly flawless before and after. If there wasn't so much variety out there for me to play with I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened
I don't have any dent on it and I have it since the first preorders went out. I worry more that it would damage some floor tiles if it falls on them "just right". Funny thing just as I was writing this there was some commotion about some insects getting in the house. Long story short the SC52 got dropped, albeit only on the carpet.
I'm sure you CAN break any light but as a completely personal note I have to say that since I joined CPF (on 3/03/03...) and got into "real" lights each and every fight was won by flashlights. Like torch vs. palm pilot, torch vs. phone, torch vs. human, torch vs. floor tile.

viperxp

Enlightened
I don't have any dent on it and I have it since the first preorders went out. I worry more that it would damage some floor tiles if it falls on them "just right". Funny thing just as I was writing this there was some commotion about some insects getting in the house. Long story short the SC52 got dropped, albeit only on the carpet.
I'm sure you CAN break any light but as a completely personal note I have to say that since I joined CPF (on 3/03/03...) and got into "real" lights each and every fight was won by flashlights. Like torch vs. palm pilot, torch vs. phone, torch vs. human, torch vs. floor tile.

Well, last "fight" between my "real" light , Nitecore EC25 Cobra and the floor did not end well for the Nitecore. The head still has signs of the fall, which if stainless steel bezel would be used would have not appeared. Actually that's the reason why I will try to make sure that all my future flashlights will have the stainless steel bezel. Just hope that the one on SC52 is better than it looks like.

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened
I see you rotate your lights and sell/gift them so yes that might suck. However, for other people "character marks" are actually welcome (not to go to the other extreme and beat your light to see how much it can take, that happens too here...).

oeL

Newly Enlightened
I'd love to know why ZL don't support IMR.

Some good theories here but nothing definitive IMO:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?367615-Why-would-an-IMR-fry-a-light&highlight=

According to http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonSmallcomparator.php the initial voltage of an AW IMR cell at 1,5 A is about 0,15 V higher compared to an IC protected LiCo cell. In addition - and that's really strange - the SC52 draws a higher current with the higher voltage (1,62 A for an Efest IMR vs 1,52 A for an Keeppower LiCo). I don't know what kind of regulation Zebralight is using here, but with a "perfect" constant current regulation it should be the other way round. Because p = u * i.
A pity, I like the IMRs for their safer chemistry, especially in EDCs.

MattSPL

Enlightened
According to http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonSmallcomparator.php the initial voltage of an AW IMR cell at 1,5 A is about 0,15 V higher compared to an IC protected LiCo cell. In addition - and that's really strange - the SC52 draws a higher current with the higher voltage (1,62 A for an Efest IMR vs 1,52 A for an Keeppower LiCo). I don't know what kind of regulation Zebralight is using here, but with a "perfect" constant current regulation it should be the other way round. Because p = u * i.
A pity, I like the IMRs for their safer chemistry, especially in EDCs.

I briefly tried an Efest IMR in my SC52. It worked perfectly on all modes, but I haven't tested further in fear of damaging the light. Saying that, if the light is designed to take 4.2v, there shouldn't be an issue. I've ran XM-L's direct drive off 18650 IMR's, so i can't see a 14500 IMR frying the emitter, unless something else in the circuit is at fault.
Also, I've only heard of 1 or 2 IMR related incidents, so it was either bad luck, or nobody else has risked trying IMR's.