Zebralight SC52 Owner's Thread

steveg270

Newly Enlightened
Well I gave son in law #2 his SC52 a couple of weeks ago and he is getting into the idea of carrying it and now both boys are set. So basically I couldn't resist getting one for myself and so I did. I have it now 3-4 days and I really really love this baby. Getting used to the interface was very simple. It is a real beautiful light. I would imagine there are nicer lights out there from some of you custom guys but at $64 this SC52 is incredable. I give it the highest marks.

burntoshine

Enlightened
I am attempting to try the nitecore Ti clip for my '52, but banggood will not give it to me. I ordered it on October 5th and have yet to receive it. I just sent them an email, so we will see what they have to say. No tracking number. No package.

Does anyone know where else I can get that clip? Banggood be no good.

EDIT: Did anyone else have to wait more than a month for their clip?

EDIT: Banggood said it could still be on its way, so I will wait some more...

Last edited:

dts71

Newly Enlightened
They say within 25 business days - 5 weeks.
6 weeks delivery time is not unexpected when ordering from China though.
You have to add tracking if you want it "Air Parcel Register" is ~$2 extra.

Good luck!

burntoshine

Enlightened
Okay, thanks!

I've ordered plenty of times from China and all of my shipments have been 2-3 weeks; at least according to my memory. I will adjust my expectations accordingly. :D

kenshin

Newly Enlightened
hi !! been using my sc52 for a few days now with eneloop, no problems so far with that battery. but when I put a LS 14500 (brand new) the light comes on h1 for a second and then step down to medium. any one has this happens before ??

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi !! been using my sc52 for a few days now with eneloop, no problems so far with that battery. but when I put a LS 14500 (brand new) the light comes on h1 for a second and then step down to medium. any one has this happens before ??

If your talking about a Saft lithium-thionyl chloride 3.6V primary cell (Radio Hack clearance sale perhaps ;)), it's a highly specialized cell designed for low draw applications - it is only rated for 50ma continuous draw (say ~10 lms Max). Don't use this cell in flashlights unless you're a low lumen/runtime/night vision junkie (like me ;)).

If you're looking for a high power "AA" primary cell, try the Titanium Innovations CRAA/14505 cell - is a lithium manganese dioxide cell, the chemistry same as CR123s. However, it too will not work properly in an SC52 due to the Li-ion protection - the light will recognize it as dying Li-ion and again step down to Med.

kenshin

Newly Enlightened
If your talking about a Saft lithium-thionyl chloride 3.6V primary cell (Radio Hack clearance sale perhaps ;)), it's a highly specialized cell designed for low draw applications - it is only rated for 50ma continuous draw (say ~10 lms Max). Don't use this cell in flashlights unless you're a low lumen/runtime/night vision junkie (like me ;)).

If you're looking for a high power "AA" primary cell, try the Titanium Innovations CRAA/14505 cell - is a lithium manganese dioxide cell, the chemistry same as CR123s. However, it too will not work properly in an SC52 due to the Li-ion protection - the light will recognize it as dying Li-ion and again step down to Med.

:-( i bought 2 saft LS 14500 on a Batteryplus store hopping to get the 500 lumens for my sc52, no lock so far, I will try the energizer lithium as the company state in a instruction manual that they provide apart from the standard instruction manual. until now I haven't been able to program the light apart from the low mode in bought the sc52 and the sc62. apart from that really liking this lights. will post some pictures later to compare the tint in a tn12 2014nw and the sc62w, there's a lot of difference in the tint of both lights.

Brett H

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully this is the right place to request some help. I purchased a ZL SC52w L2 in Oct. I tried the light out with an alkaline battery and it went through the modes fine. Now, I tried a fresh Eneloop as well as an alkaline and the light will not turn on. However, if I put a 14500 cell in it, the light turns on a lower level as soon as I close the tailcap (before I even depress the switch). If I hold the switch down, it appears to go through the L-M-H although there is very little difference in brightness. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

jmwking

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully this is the right place to request some help. I purchased a ZL SC52w L2 in Oct. I tried the light out with an alkaline battery and it went through the modes fine. Now, I tried a fresh Eneloop as well as an alkaline and the light will not turn on. However, if I put a 14500 cell in it, the light turns on a lower level as soon as I close the tailcap (before I even depress the switch). If I hold the switch down, it appears to go through the L-M-H although there is very little difference in brightness. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

I have that one as my EDC. Love it!

They offer good, albeit slow, warranty service. Contact them...

(I had my old SC32 fixed recently.)

-jk

Brett H

Newly Enlightened
I have that one as my EDC. Love it!

They offer good, albeit slow, warranty service. Contact them...

(I had my old SC32 fixed recently.)

-jk

I was afraid of that. I had hoped it was something simple.

swan

Banned

Sounds like the alkaline battery wrecked your light-warranty time.

moozooh

Enlightened

Have you tried all the usual stuff?

• Ensure that both the battery tube, the tailcap, and the battery itself come in full contact with each other, without gaps, rattle, or whatnot.
  • Ensure that the contact surfaces (all 6 of them) are free from dirt, lube, debris, etc., especially the tube-tailcap interface. Wipe them with a drop of alcohol or kerosene if necessary.
  • See if the light works with other eneloops/14500s, assuming you have any more of them to test.
  • See if the problematic eneloops/14500s are good and work with any other lights.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had similar symptoms after accidentally inserting a battery backwards and damaging the circuit.

Brett H

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried all the usual stuff?

• Ensure that both the battery tube, the tailcap, and the battery itself come in full contact with each other, without gaps, rattle, or whatnot.
  • Ensure that the contact surfaces (all 6 of them) are free from dirt, lube, debris, etc., especially the tube-tailcap interface. Wipe them with a drop of alcohol or kerosene if necessary.
  • See if the light works with other eneloops/14500s, assuming you have any more of them to test.
  • See if the problematic eneloops/14500s are good and work with any other lights.

Yep, definitely appreciate your suggestions, but unfortunately, I have checked all of these. Unfortunately, it appears I am going to have to send it back to ZL. The only negative in doing this is the extended wait to get the light back (they state 6-8 weeks).

geokite

Newly Enlightened
The only AA powered lights available that have reverse polarity protection are the SC5 series. Gotta be careful.

Steve

tops2

Enlightened
Not having reverse polarity was one minor reason I went for the SC5w instead. While it should be fine for me, I was worried if someone in the family was checking out the light and accidentally put the battery reversed...

Wrecked

Enlightened
I have an SC52 L2 that when I click it on it flashes once that goes out. Batteries are fresh (L91) and everything looks OK. Any thoughts on what could cause this?