Zebralight SC52 & SC52w

[size=5]Are you looking into :thinking: buying the Zebralight [b]SC52[/b]?[/size]

• [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i pre-ordered it! :nana:[/size]

Votes: 74 17.7%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i ordered it. :grin2:[/size]

Votes: 114 27.3%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i [i]am[/i] going to order it sooner or later. Count me in yet! :santa:[/size]

Votes: 140 33.5%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], but i am not too sure about it, neither now nor in future. :shrug:[/size]

Votes: 62 14.8%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], but most likely it's [b]not[/b] gonna happen for some reason. :sigh:[/size]

Votes: 28 6.7%

• Total voters

tonkem

Enlightened
Re: *NEW* Zebralight SC52

Can you really do anything with .1 lumens?

anyone have a beamshot of any other light with that moonmode?

.1 lumens listed on the sc600 as the low is very useable, but the .01 lumens on the H502 is almost useless, except if your eyes are night adapted and it is TOTAL darkness. You can light it and shine it directly in your eye, and almost no perceivable light, but the runtime is great. I have the H502 and have never used the .01 lumens, but the .1 lumen is another story, very useable.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

okay let's get back to topic, SC52.

the above quote says "Pre-order: 10/25/12, 64$ (MSRP)", that's Thursday.
In some other thread a manufacturer explained what pre-order is good for. Very interesting reading. It makes me wonder if ZL has already started mass-producing the product or not.

Maybe ZL has. But they certainly *need* your pre-order money for their smooth business operation. me tinks.
i might be wrong tho. :thinking:

Last edited by a moderator:

g.p.

Enlightened

okay let's get back to topic, SC52.

the above quote says "Pre-order: 10/25/12, 64$ (MSRP)", that's Thursday.
In some other thread a manufacturer explained what pre-order is good for. Very interesting reading. It makes me wonder if ZL has already started mass-producing the product or not.

Maybe ZL has. But they certainly *need* your pre-order money for their smooth business operation. me tinks.
i might be wrong tho. :thinking:
This topic is more on topic than talking about the usefulness of the lower levels?

:thinking:

Lime

Newly Enlightened

About how long will it take before they are in stock in UK/european dealers if the estimated shipping date is 11/15?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

This topic is more on topic than talking about the usefulness of the lower levels?
The posts about the usefulness of low levels was on topic for his ability to decide how interested he might be in buying one of these lights, and if you didn't want us talking about it, why make a post that did little more than go back to the low levels issue? :thinking:

I'm definitely getting one of the newer models, but will probably wait until I've heard how others are liking it so I'll know whether to order one or several - still one of the best gift lights around.

g.p.

Enlightened

The posts about the usefulness of low levels was on topic for his ability to decide how interested he might be in buying one of these lights, and if you didn't want us talking about it, why make a post that did little more than go back to the low levels issue? :thinking:
That was my point...already seemed to be pretty on topic to me. Much more on topic than speculating how ZL finances work.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

That was my point...already seemed to be pretty on topic to me. Much more on topic than speculating how ZL finances work.
LOL - I read your post too fast and thought you were suggesting otherwise.

I'm thinking this 280 lumen high is about as far as I care to have a light go, for the time being at least. The 500 lumen high on my ring controlled TC-R1 goes through charges so much faster than anything else I've had, while offering no real advantage in day to day use.
Would be nice to see one of the mathematicians here compile a chart showing at what point additional output from a light starts diminishing the usefulness of that light because the runtimes start getting too short.

moozooh

Enlightened

It depends on the way you're using your higher modes and what runtime you consider to be short. For instance, the only usage scenario I have for my SC600's max mode that requires constant high output is when I'm using it as a bike light (I may even opt to switch off the light and turn it back on to reset the boost timer). It does chew through batteries, but most of my night commutes are about 25 minutes long on average, so I usually get four full trips per battery charge. All the other times I'm using it I'm only firing it up for a few seconds at a time, always under a minute, and if I'm not riding a bike, the same charge lasts me forever. SC52's turbo mode would still be totally useful for me in all those non-constant-on cases, especially since it's pretty close to SC600's max output. I think it's a very clever feature, and a nice one to have in a small EDC light.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

It depends on the way you're using your higher modes and what runtime you consider to be short.
That was my point exactly.

Now talking about an SC600 when the conversation at point has to do with a lot smaller power source, in a light that I think is going to have about as high an output as I'd like to see on my kind of lights, is really off the point.

My favorite bike riding light is my Nichia 119 Haiku, usually on medium or high, but sometimes low when in a really dark area and I can do a lot of riding on one single charge with it. Bike riding aside, I tend to use my highest levels only for seconds at a time.
I'm still thinking that the highest level of the SC52 coming in at around 280 lumens is probably an ideal high for a light of this sort.

Philonous

Newly Enlightened

Pros:

- The specs are undeniably awesome. Max of 200 lumen on the SC51 to 280+ on the SC52. All on a single AA. Pretty impressive stuff. My SC51 is already pretty bright as my bike-light, but this would offer just that little extra at night.

- They've kept the screw-on clip. Appreciate this, folks. The light can tail-stand AND clip-stand. Brilliant design that didn't get enough recognition when the SC51 came out (in my opinion).

Cons:

- Ugly light. There, I said it. I think the SC51 was a gorgeous, retro-esque light, with a vaguely art deco design. The SC52 looks like someone chucked the SC51, SC600 and H600 in a blender and tried to make a light out of what was left. It looks pretty functional, design-wise, but I really felt the SC51 was ZebraLight's best-looking light, and a bit of an under-appreciated design classic.

Overall? Probably not going to buy right now. The SC600 is my EDC light, and the SC51 is already a massively well-performing light given that I use it on my bike. The H502 is good for repairs and other tricky jobs.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello ;) what do you mean with "clip-stand"?

:)

The clip on the original SC51 is on the side of the light opposite the button. It was flat enough that it could act as a base. You could sit the SC51 down on its side on top of the clip and it would stay in that position with the button facing straight up.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was flat enough that it could act as a base.
Thanks for the explanation. I checked with my other lights. They can all be balanced on their clip as base!
What's so practical or useful about SC52's clip-stand? i guess the 1-fingered operability of the light once it is in the clip-stand?

But in clip-stand, the light shines against the side wall. How useful is that? :ohgeez:

NiteShift

Newly Enlightened

Quite a few people have complaints about the new look (the ribbing) I think the functional value of this will outweigh the aesthetic value. I had previously owned two Zebralight and in the very short time I had them I managed to drop them more than once, chipping the anodising. In comparison I've had the Nitecore D10 for 3 years and used it daily and don't think I've dropped it once.

I would be interested to hear what people think would be a good alternative to the ribbing since I think standard knurling on this light would make it look even worse than the ribbing!

Last edited:

smw1138

Newly Enlightened

I'm guessing that the ribbing also helps with heat dissipation and that may be why that was chosen over a smooth or knurled finish.