Zebralight SC52 & SC52w

[size=5]Are you looking into :thinking: buying the Zebralight [b]SC52[/b]?[/size]

• [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i pre-ordered it! :nana:[/size]

Votes: 74 17.7%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i ordered it. :grin2:[/size]

Votes: 114 27.3%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i [i]am[/i] going to order it sooner or later. Count me in yet! :santa:[/size]

Votes: 140 33.5%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], but i am not too sure about it, neither now nor in future. :shrug:[/size]

Votes: 62 14.8%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], but most likely it's [b]not[/b] gonna happen for some reason. :sigh:[/size]

Votes: 28 6.7%

• Total voters

chazz

Enlightened
Do you use your light once a year or once every two years ? Sounds to me you just want bashing the ZL in a very snicky way.

LOL, if you are referring to what I posted, do not worry. My ZL sc52 is one of my favorite lights. I will probably will be buying a SC600 at some point also. But at some point, if when I get lights I like or use more, it might not get used so often. I am not saying this is a problem for a light that gets used often and batteries changed or charged often.

I have had lights with parasitic drain, sitting around for a year or so, go to use them and dead batteries. So it is something to think about. Now I store that light without the batteries in it, but that means I have to have another light to see to put the batteries in that light. etc..

I was just posting information that was talked about earlier, and figured more data samples might be useful. This is the type of information I would want to know about a light if I was thinking of buying it. Information that is usually also included in a good review of a light. Like I said, it goes for ANY light with parasitic drain. So I am not Zebralight 'bashing', or trying to be 'snicky'... Sorry if it came across that way, it was not my intention. :)

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
since the SC62d isn't terribly impressive i'm gonna skip it over and just wait for the Mark-II SC52!!!

improvements wishlist:

1) full-power strobe. right now the SC52 has a crippled strobe mode, about half power, even when using 14500

2) triple-click strobe

3) better tints

:)

markr6

Flashaholic
since the SC62d isn't terribly impressive i'm gonna skip it over and just wait for the Mark-II SC52!!!

improvements wishlist:

1) full-power strobe. right now the SC52 has a crippled strobe mode, about half power, even when using 14500

2) triple-click strobe

3) better tints

Looking forward to this one! I've given up on the better tints...almost

Diablo_331

Enlightened

improvements wishlist:

2) triple-click strobe

3) better tints

Looking forward to this one! I've given up on the better tints...almost

And a screw on bezel!! They can gross me out with whatever tint they wanted to then because it'd be easier to mod.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
And a screw on bezel!! They can gross me out with whatever tint they wanted to then because it'd be easier to mod.

Forget modding the SC52.

To make the light shorter than earlier models, Zebralight used a single board that has both the emitter and all the driver components on it. There's no traditional star. This probably makes it impossible to do an emitter swap for the vast majority of modders on these forums even if they figure out how to remove the bezel.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Yes but it can and has been done. ;-) Also for most folks that don't want to void their warranty or destroy their light trying to get it open, simple tint swatches work wonders for fine tuning the tint to your liking.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes but it can and has been done. ;-) Also for most folks that don't want to void their warranty or destroy their light trying to get it open, simple tint swatches work wonders for fine tuning the tint to your liking.

Supposedly it's possible to remove the bezel ring without destroying the lens. Not sure how, but the guy who showed pictures of the inside of hte SC52 a year ago did it.

I'm not quite sure how to change the emitter on an SC52. I could probably disassemble it, though I might have to destroy the lens. But how do I get the emitter off the board without all the other components falling off or cooking and destroying their internal circuits? My usual technique to do an emitter swap of mounting the star on a wooden clothesclip and then holding a soldering iron underneath while lifting the emitter off with tweezers almost certainly wouldn't work.

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
It seems like the front part / lens is pressed in. I've thought that maybe the way to get it apart would be to go through the switch and then pry the front out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
i thought it was my obligation ;) as thread starter to ask ZL what's going on here with the discounted SC52 XM-L U3 versus the un-discounted SC52w

Last edited:

Swede74

Enlightened
So basically they're using up their inventory of XM-L U3's in the back-ordered SC52's, then discontinue the SC52 XM-L U3 altogether and transit to the updated SC52.
the new SC52 coolwhite model will not be called "SC53", sorry guys. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. I guess they are saving the model name "SC53" for something really exciting. :D

HikingMano

Newly Enlightened
I was told the SC52w is to be discontinued as well, so I wonder what they're planning to change in the new version since the SC52w is already running XM-L2.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
i asked ZL and they permitted to disclose their info openly:

The SC52 and SC52w will be updated to SC52 L2 and SC52w L2. The SC52 L2 will come with an XM-L2 and a new UI similar to the H52. The SC52w L2 will come with the same XM-L2 as before but with a new UI.

Etsu

Enlightened
I just don't get ZL's business model. The SC52w was selling so well they couldn't keep it in stock anywhere (maybe SC52 as well). So, they discontinue it, and plan to replace it exactly the same except for a minor tweak to blinky modes in the UI? Why lose out on months of sales, just for that?

markr6

Flashaholic
I just don't get ZL's business model. The SC52w was selling so well they couldn't keep it in stock anywhere (maybe SC52 as well). So, they discontinue it, and plan to replace it exactly the same except for a minor tweak to blinky modes in the UI? Why lose out on months of sales, just for that?

I ask myself the same things over and over. It's killing me just to know WHY! In the past they've update lights without making them "discontinued". They just noted the "upgrades" in the product description. But maybe that caused some confusion.

I'm still looking to get a nice set of SC52w with a good tint. Maybe this time around?

HikingMano

Newly Enlightened
i asked ZL and they permitted to disclose their info openly:

Good :thumbup: I heard about it (thought in less specific detail) from a vendor a couple of weeks ago, but wasn't sure it was for open disclosure so I kept quiet and waited for ZL to make the announcement. They said they were going to announce it by the end of this month, and have the SC52s ready for Feb. Thanks for reporting more info.

Me neither. We'll see if the UI upgrade is more substantial for some reason.

I ask myself the same things over and over. It's killing me just to know WHY! In the past they've update lights without making them "discontinued". They just noted the "upgrades" in the product description. But maybe that caused some confusion.

I'm still looking to get a nice set of SC52w with a good tint. Maybe this time around?

My relatively recently acquired H52w had a nice tint, so I'm hopeful.

Seriously, ZL, I have money in my pocket allocated for you, get your stuff together and let's do business...

RIX TUX

Enlightened
MAYBE............. there were so many problems with "tints" they wanted to start using another emitter, thus new model.

Etsu

Enlightened
MAYBE............. there were so many problems with "tints" they wanted to start using another emitter, thus new model.

Except they're still using the same emitter (XM-L2) in the SC52w, so that theory doesn't hold. If they want to improve tints, they can just check the LEDs or purchase better bins or something.

LEDburn

Enlightened
I am thinking the new UI is a decent amount more efficient and worth cancelling production until it is implemented.

That's what I'm hoping anyway :p I haven't had a single issue with my SC52 or SC52w so can't see any reason to change anything unless it has performance benefits..

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm worried about the new soft switches. They said their manufacturer changed them and that's it. Very annoying when changing modes, double clicking. But I'll take a gamble on a new one to try and get a better tint.