Zebralight SC52 & SC52w

[size=5]Are you looking into :thinking: buying the Zebralight [b]SC52[/b]?[/size]

• [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i pre-ordered it! :nana:[/size]

Votes: 74 17.7%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i ordered it. :grin2:[/size]

Votes: 114 27.3%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i [i]am[/i] going to order it sooner or later. Count me in yet! :santa:[/size]

Votes: 140 33.5%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], but i am not too sure about it, neither now nor in future. :shrug:[/size]

Votes: 62 14.8%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], but most likely it's [b]not[/b] gonna happen for some reason. :sigh:[/size]

Votes: 28 6.7%

• Total voters

HikingMano

Newly Enlightened
I'm worried about the new soft switches. They said their manufacturer changed them and that's it. Very annoying when changing modes, double clicking. But I'll take a gamble on a new one to try and get a better tint.

Yeah, I much prefer the switch on my H51w, but I'm learning to work with the new soft switch.

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
Is it confirmed that the switch is going to be softer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
what's all the fuss with the softer switches. really no big deal. still just as easy to do quadruple clicks on them

still recessed so still no accidental activation

HikingMano

Newly Enlightened
what's all the fuss with the softer switches. really no big deal. still just as easy to do quadruple clicks on them

It's subjective. I just prefer the feel/action of the older switch. Seemed like there was more control with multiple clicks. As I said though, nothing I can't adjust to.

markr6

Flashaholic

Think of a keyboard with standard keys and some newer ones that have almost no travel. Very difficult to type on. Something you have to get used to for sure. Plus the deep recess doesn't help matters; really need to get your fingertip into there. Gloves? Forget it.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think of a keyboard with standard keys and some newer ones that have almost no travel. Very difficult to type on. Something you have to get used to for sure. Plus the deep recess doesn't help matters; really need to get your fingertip into there. Gloves? Forget it.

Maybe wait until you actually get the softer switch in hand before passing judgment.

I have multiple flashlights with soft switches including the Olight S10 (original version), and Xtar WK41. I have no problems with the softer switch. To me it doesn't feel any better or worse than the switch on my SC52 and SC52w.

markr6

Flashaholic
Maybe wait until you actually get the softer switch in hand before passing judgment.

+1.......ns

-1. What the heck are you taking about?!?! Who are you to pass judgement?!?!

I've had FOUR Zebralights since they confirmed the softer switch. Three of them are pretty nice (SC600wII, H600wII, H52w) but once was just way too soft (my 3rd SC52w).

Since you both live under a rock, I'll inform you these are actually out and have been for a while. Wake up and learn how to read posts before passing judgement.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
-1. What the heck are you taking about?!?! Who are you to pass judgement?!?!

I've had FOUR Zebralights since they confirmed the softer switch. Three of them are pretty nice (SC600wII, H600wII, H52w) but once was just way too soft (my 3rd SC52w).

Since you both live under a rock, I'll inform you these are actually out and have been for a while. Wake up and learn how to read posts before passing judgement.
why worry about it till it happens? wait till the new light is out
I have T W O zl and they feel different but I'm not crying, if it was unbearable I would have sent it back. Maybe your softie should have been returned. If it's too late send it to me, I can handle it (because not much room to move my fingers living under this rock)

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
why worry about it till it happens? wait till the new light is out
I have T W O zl and they feel different but I'm not crying, if it was unbearable I would have sent it back. Maybe your softie should have been returned. If it's too late send it to me, I can handle it (because not much room to move my fingers living under this rock)

[my apologies for the negative personal attack if anyone read it here] but I'll continue the rest as posted:

I did send it back!! READ! And it ALREADY DID HAPPEN. I'm saying I hope it's not a permanent change. Wow

Last edited:

RIX TUX

Enlightened
[my apologies for the negative personal attack if anyone read it here] but I'll continue the rest as posted:

I did send it back!! READ! And it ALREADY DID HAPPEN. I'm saying I hope it's not a permanent change. Wow
its a forum - giving your opinion is fine
1900 posts on this forum - read them all? no thanks

markr6

Flashaholic
its a forum - giving your opinion is fine
1900 posts on this forum - read them all? no thanks

Come on now, we're obviously talking about this thread, not all 1900. Don't get upset just because I'm right. Let's get back on track with this SC52(w).

RIX TUX

Enlightened
Come on now, we're obviously talking about this thread, not all 1900. Don't get upset just because I'm right. Let's get back on track with this SC52(w).
I don't think opinions can be right or wrong but if you want somebody to tell you you're right then I can give you a daily affirmation quote from Stuart Smalley "I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!".........but back to the switch, how do other ZL owners feel about the firmness of the switch? too soft/ok/too hard?

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC52L2
SC52wL2

are both available now on the ZL site for pre-order

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC52L2
SC52wL2

are both available now on the ZL site for pre-order

New UI - strobo-beacon removed from H Levels.
"Beacon-strobe mode can be accessed from 3 short-clicks when the light is Off"

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
as expected no PID

though i was half-expecting to see a gradual ramp down that seems to be the fashionable thing these days

still a very welcome incremental upgrade

time to sell my sc52w :D

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
time to sell my sc52w :D
You are probably kidding, but just asking if it is worth it selling the SC52w just for an incremental improvement? As for myself, I love my SC52w and I don't bother about blinkies so this new upgrade is pointless to me. I still like having to cycle through all my output levels by clicking through. 3 clicks to low and that's it. Fast and precise.

cyclesport

Enlightened
I'm uninterested in the new UI but am hoping the key upgrade on these new SCs is not listed in the specs...but is the much improved tint as seen in the new H52w/XM-L2 4400k and reported in some of ZL's newer 18650 lights. The new H52w *(also listed as XM-L2 4400k) is completely absent of the yellow/green tint of current gen SC52/SC52ws as is much closer to the Nichia 219. Fingers crossed.:whistle:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are probably kidding, but just asking if it is worth it selling the SC52w just for an incremental improvement? As for myself, I love my SC52w and I don't bother about blinkies so this new upgrade is pointless to me. I still like having to cycle through all my output levels by clicking through. 3 clicks to low and that's it. Fast and precise.

no i'm not kidding. for me it plugs that hole between medium and MAX that is otherwise occupied by strobe

but first i have to verify that strobe is now FULL POWER on 14500. if it is then i'm definitely selling. in case you haven't noticed strobe is about half power on sc52/w

Etsu

Enlightened
Yes, completely worthless UI change. And since there was no other change to the light, it was a stupid decision to take the SC52w off the market for a couple of months.

IMO, I'd rather the UI changed so that
- 1 short click to "low"
- 2 short clicks to "medium"
- 3 short clicks to "high"
- 4 short clicks to strobe (or just get rid of it), the battery indicator function is useless anyway

Keep the "press and hold" the way it is now, so that you can get back to low in a single press.

This change would prevent accidental turning on to "high" in the middle of the night.

And if they wanted to make it even more programmable, allow us to program in ANY mode in each of the 3 slots. That way, I could program in 2 different moonlight modes, and a high, for example.

A real UI change would have made sense. This one they're doing is useless.