Zebralight SC52 & SC52w

[size=5]Are you looking into :thinking: buying the Zebralight [b]SC52[/b]?[/size]

• [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i pre-ordered it! :nana:[/size]

Votes: 74 17.7%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i ordered it. :grin2:[/size]

Votes: 114 27.3%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i [i]am[/i] going to order it sooner or later. Count me in yet! :santa:[/size]

Votes: 140 33.5%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], but i am not too sure about it, neither now nor in future. :shrug:[/size]

Votes: 62 14.8%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], but most likely it's [b]not[/b] gonna happen for some reason. :sigh:[/size]

Votes: 28 6.7%

• Total voters

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *NEW* Zebralight SC52

I've seen the SC5Fd and thought it very odd that an SC5d OP wasn't produced.

Its because it uses an XM-L2 Easywhite which is a quad die emitter which could produce beam artifacts without a frosted lens. I will say that the Easywhite emitter they use has a much nicer tint then the Luxeon T imo. It lacks the cw spill and is a very nice ever so yellowy pure NW with near zero tint shift(I have one of these in my H600Fd MKIII). The medium diffusion frosted lens is also pretty nice and still has a hotspot albeit diffused. Honestly, in a small single AA light I personally find a diffused beam more useful. If I want a tighter hotspot and more throw I will use a larger light. The "floody" beam is great for around the house and close range work where a small light like this shines(pun intended)lol.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *NEW* Zebralight SC52

Also note that the SC5, arguably, makes 14500 irrelevant.

I see what you mean! Wow! thanks for highlighting that, I missed it on the first reading. Can I have one in Copper with 90CRI :)

No doubt about it, Zebralight has managed to produce the first 1xAA light that can reach output levels previously only attainable by 1x14500. Given the increase work capacity of current NiMH batteries, 1x14500 has been rendered completely obsolete.

… The performance of the SC5 is simply outstanding. Overall efficiency and regulation are comparable to the SC52 on the lower levels (which was always best in class). But at the highest levels, the SC5 blows away anything in the class in terms of output.

With the SC5, Zebralight has succeeded in making 14500 obsolete – you get equivalent max output, with greater runtime, using regular NIMH batteries here.

I am very happy not to deal with the risks of LiIon. Go Eneloop!

fwiw, I wrote to Zebralights to get CRI info and they sent me this very informative link with all the CRI and Color Temperature info

85 CRI is the max offered in AA models, with a choice of 4000k or 5000k in flood or spot..
example SC5fd at 85 CRI, after 3 minutes of turbo, it drops to a High of 228 lumens. Thats 30% more CRI and 30% less lumens than the 65 CRI SC5 which after 3 minutes of turbo, drops to 325 lumens
Screen%252520Shot%2525202016-02-11%252520at%2525209.02.46%252520PM.jpg

Last edited:

sticktodrum

Enlightened
I don't think it makes the 14500 obsolete, at least not as far as the current gen of ZLs go. The SC5 is much more bulky than the 52, and doesn't feel as good in the pocket. The SC5 feels clunky for a AA, and the thing I appreciate more from ZL is their pattern of trimming down size to fit the battery.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my SC5Fc. Seems it is quite a bit warmer than advertised at 3650 K. CRI is at 83.

Love your posts, thanks
fwiw, the LED is rated for 4000k, so yours is within 9%, and the 83CRI matches the spec sheet from Zebras site.. (post 2342)
I do hope you will post the spectral curve in this style (it is my favorite graphic format)
0GNbe5p.png

Last edited:

maukka

Enlightened
Love your posts, thanks
fwiw, the LED is rated for 4000k, so yours is within 9%, and the 83CRI matches the spec sheet from Zebras site.. (post 2342)
I do hope you will post the spectral curve in this style (it is my favorite graphic format)

Here's a spectral distribution graph for the Zebralight SC5Fc. I'll do a more in depth review later.

gj5PxLu.png

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
Is the SC52w L2 discontinued now? It doesn't look like it has been available anywhere for quite a while, but the floody versions are still readily available, and none of them are actually listed as discontinued.

cyclesport

Enlightened
Is the SC52w L2 discontinued now? It doesn't look like it has been available anywhere for quite a while, but the floody versions are still readily available, and none of them are actually listed as discontinued.

Actually the SC52w L2 was in stock several days ago when I last checked. You simply need to check back every few days to snag one since stock status routinely goes in-and-out.

This ZL platform is still my fav. EDC despite acquiring newer ZL lights. I keep hoping ZL will update the SC52w (L3?) with PID, newer CREE XP-L or XHP series emitters. I like the SC5w but never warmed to the chunky size, or to exclusive NiMh/alkaline powered lights w/the 1.5v battery sag issues.

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
Actually the SC52w L2 was in stock several days ago when I last checked. You simply need to check back every few days to snag one since stock status routinely goes in-and-out.

Ah, excellent. Right now I have an SC600w III HI which is quite an amazing light, but I'm finding the beam profile way too narrow for trail hiking and most close-up use, and it is really a bit big to carry. I was torn between it and the SC63w when I originally ordered, and based on the beam profiles in this huge comparison of Zebralight products, the latter might work better, so I went ahead and ordered one. It looks like the SC52w L2 is much the same as the SC63w, just smaller and obviously less bright. I want something really small to live in my bag pocket, and I am torn between the SC52w L2 and the new Olight S1A. The S1A uses a TIR optic instead of a reflector so it has a wideish soft beam without a lot of spill that might be a useful change from the Zebralights. Decisions, decisions.

http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/25-zebralight-lampen-im-beamshotvergleich.50095/

tops2

Enlightened
If you want to try something different, go for the Olight. I have the Olight S1 and love it for EDC purpose. It's not only short, but the diameter is much slimmer when I pocket carry. That few mm makes a huge difference for me when minimizing for pocket carry. The UI is close enough to Zebralight for me. To me, the only negative for the S1A is that it memorized moonlight. I prefer the current S1 UI if not memorizing moonlight nor turbo since there's already shortcut to those levels. It's got a huge hotspot which is a nice change from a small hotspot with large spill.

haytorious

Newly Enlightened

Can confirm, just snagged one :D

Any recommendations for regular lithium AA batteries? I'd like to start there before exploring the rechargeables.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
regular lithium AA batteries? I'd like to start there before exploring the rechargeables.

I suggest you buy rechargeable NON Lithium… charger, plus 4 rechargeable AA batteries from WalMart for $14
None of the safety issues of rechargeable Lithium
and None of the expense of Lithium Primaries (non rechargeable)

that way you wont worry about using your light, for fear of the expensive Lithium primary battery dying

haytorious

Newly Enlightened
I get 12 Energizer lithiums for $20 at Sam's Club.

I ended up ordering these off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DC4EL/?tag=cpf0b6-20

What do you think? Is this a good deal for (8) ?

I suggest you buy rechargeable NON Lithium… charger, plus 4 rechargeable AA batteries from WalMart for $14
None of the safety issues of rechargeable Lithium
and None of the expense of Lithium Primaries (non rechargeable)

that way you wont worry about using your light, for fear of the expensive Lithium primary battery dying

Thanks for your recommendation! Have any differences in Lumen outputs been recorded between the non-rechargeable lithium batteries and rechargeable NiMH ?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you think? Is this a good deal for (8) ?
Have any differences in Lumen outputs been recorded between the non-rechargeable lithium batteries and rechargeable NiMH ?

yes you got a good deal, and the Ultimate Lithium is a GREAT battery. They last longer and are brighter, and weigh about half as much as regular Alkaline batteries. Primary Lithium also stores extremely well long term, and performs better in extreme cold, and tolerates high heat. It is a good choice for a cell that lives in a car. The only thing wrong with Primary Lithium is the cost.

here is a review that has runtime charts of the various battery options. Primary Lithium lasts Longer than NiMh. afaik Brightness modes on Zebras are, consistent, regulated, the battery does not change that (except for Turbo on rechargeable Lithium Ion, which is brighter)

Last edited:

curry__muncha

Newly Enlightened
I accidentally fried the circuitry on my SC52 by inserting the li-ion the wrong way around (been using my Olight S Mini a lot). So I sent it in to get repaired and after I got it back few months ago I noticed very horrible PWM (almost strobe like) on the brightest High mode. I also noticed the a new positive terminal contact but it had been glued inside the body very off centre, such that i was surprised that the positive terminal on the battery actually made contact. But I was going to just keep the light and just accept the PWM as it wasn't worth it for me to send it back. However, another issue has since come up - when using my light the other day, I went to change the battery and the initially off-centre positive terminal from the first repair had fallen out.

Got to say I am pretty unhappy about the quality of service of the RMA repair - from the very visible PWM on li-ion to the positive terminal inside the flashlight breaking. I did also request the emitter to be changed to the 4400K XM-L2 (from my cool white XML) which they failed to acknowledge. I will be sending it back again and hopefully this will be the last time I do. The light was working for 4 years flawlessly until the RMA =(