Zebralight SC600 MKIII HI BUY IT!

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Is that Compare All Models link on the ZL website functioning correctly for everyone else? I was trying to access it the other day and the day and keep getting some type of google documents error page... I'm just curious if the issue is on my end or with the ZL website...

Wolf3D

Newly Enlightened
Is that Compare All Models link on the ZL website functioning correctly for everyone else? I was trying to access it the other day and the day and keep getting some type of google documents error page... I'm just curious if the issue is on my end or with the ZL website...

You "have" to browse that page via a private windows. It will work!

tops2

Enlightened

For some reason that link never works in Chrome for me (unless my extensions are causing problems). I use IE/Edge browsers to open that link...

But maybe I should try Chrome's private browsing.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
For some reason that link never works in Chrome for me (unless my extensions are causing problems). I use IE/Edge browsers to open that link...

But maybe I should try Chrome's private browsing.
It should work in Chrome's incognito mode. Does for me.

davepen

Newly Enlightened
Okay. After bitching mightily about this light and it's batteries, I've received my two unprotected cells from ZL.

I put one in the charger for a bit and then in the light.

All I can say is this light is extraordinary (in my experience anyway). I have a whole drawer of SureFire's and none of them even comes close to the output of this light. The brightest SureFire I own is probably my M4 Devastator with an MN61 and this light just blows it away.

Amazing light for just a hundred bucks.

kellyglanzer

Enlightened
3 weeks on back order and 6 weeks to arrive but it showed up safe today. Tried every battery I own to find one the right length and found a vtc5 with a blob of solder is the right length. Lol
Wow. This one was worth waiting for. This thing rocks. Love it.
2ad938fb0b5abcff72abaf1c94df7239.jpg
74b52543f75b92f63f0ad8bd9864ee45.jpg
d5c6e1f7e861bcf8b4ae35f159889717.jpg

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics thanks for sharing those! Is that your first ZL? How is the tint on yours? I would recommend getting a few 18650ga cells if you can, they work great in this light and are fairly cheap too.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Those are nice photos... Especially the first one...

I'm holding out for the PLUS model... But yeah, after I got the SC5w (first ZL and which I love), I definitely had the feeling that I need to check out more offerings from this company... I'm still not a huge fan of the aesthetic appearance of the lights - but build quality, design (UI), and performance is excellent and that's clearly what's most important...

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. First ZL and I'm super impressed. Might need to try another. :)

Haha this is how it starts with ZL, you try one and before you know it you have 5 or 6 of their lights! I have to say the HI is definitely my favorite for now. It blends good throw with a nice spill while also have excellent tint. Add in the UI and good thermal management, compact size and you have a winner. If you do try another one the SC63w is a good EDC option if you're looking for a smaller light for EDC use and the SC5 series is a good choice if you want a single AA light that does 500+ lumens.

tops2

Enlightened
Those are nice photos... Especially the first one...

I'm holding out for the PLUS model... But yeah, after I got the SC5w (first ZL and which I love), I definitely had the feeling that I need to check out more offerings from this company... I'm still not a huge fan of the aesthetic appearance of the lights - but build quality, design (UI), and performance is excellent and that's clearly what's most important...

Lol! Aside from the Plus, eventually I want to get a Zebralight headlamp. I really just want to get a few good lights instead of many decent/mediocre lights, but hard soooo hard to resist! Almost bought a few other flashlights and headlamps in the past weeks..but must..resist.. Maybe I should stop visiting CPF until the Plus version comes out! (yeah right...) :whistle::nana:

PeterRamish

Newly Enlightened
But .. it's right there on the ZL website:
http://www.zebralight.com/SC600w-Mk...Neutral-White-High-Intensity-XHP35_p_179.html
-Main Features and Specifications
-Battery

:candle:

I think the readers and some of the responders on this battery issue would do well to consider that the issue might not be with Zebralight, but, rather with the battery industry that seems to not have a precise specification for the so-called "18650" battery and has allowed sloppy "add-on" of so-called "protection caps", which, as Zebralight engineers point out, are of questionable benefit and questionable engineering.

For a thought experiment on this realize that modern engineering practice is going the route of tight integration of parts into the overall design goals. You see this everywhere in current design practice: For example: my Toyota Prius has an engineering specification for its tires that the tire manufacturer must conform to. A big part of the fuel economy of the Prius is tightly tied to its tires. A high end Sony Digital Camera requires a NP-FW50 battery. I have a drawer full of those batteries, some OEM Sony parts but many from a collection of China knock off factories. My dial caliber does not lie: I measure their length tip to terminal to be exactly 45mm within just error of measurement. They all conform within a .001". Look at the cell phone in your pocket right at this moment. Where would the designers of this device be if the batteries for it were +- 3 or 4 mm?

I think Zebralight, and their obviously high caliber design team is on the right track: A precise spec that they can design to. That is how you get high performance products, there is no other way to proceed. The alternative is "one size fits all", and that, my friends, is not the path to success. Since there doesn't seem to a real spec in the battery industry then I admire Zebralights guts in this matter. They have bit off the task of approaching the manufacture of a tightly integrated design into a spec that really isn't there, and then trusting their high-end customers to understand this and get batteries that meet the spec for their product.

So you need three things to make owing a MkIII work: 1.)A dial caliper. 2.) Batteries that are within spec. 3.) The wonderfully engineered light itself. I see nothing wrong with that. When I go to the tire shop for a fresh set of threads and the guy tells me 'oh it's just a Toyota any old tires will do", I will know better and can educate him about the subject matter at hand.

As poster Conner point out: The spec is on the Zebralight website. That's the spec. End of Story.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the readers and some of the responders on this battery issue would do well to consider that the issue might not be with Zebralight, but, rather with the battery industry that seems to not have a precise specification for the so-called "18650" battery and has allowed sloppy "add-on" of so-called "protection caps", which, as Zebralight engineers point out, are of questionable benefit and questionable engineering.

For a thought experiment on this realize that modern engineering practice is going the route of tight integration of parts into the overall design goals. You see this everywhere in current design practice: For example: my Toyota Prius has an engineering specification for its tires that the tire manufacturer must conform to. A big part of the fuel economy of the Prius is tightly tied to its tires. A high end Sony Digital Camera requires a NP-FW50 battery. I have a drawer full of those batteries, some OEM Sony parts but many from a collection of China knock off factories. My dial caliber does not lie: I measure their length tip to terminal to be exactly 45mm within just error of measurement. They all conform within a .001". Look at the cell phone in your pocket right at this moment. Where would the designers of this device be if the batteries for it were +- 3 or 4 mm?

I think Zebralight, and their obviously high caliber design team is on the right track: A precise spec that they can design to. That is how you get high performance products, there is no other way to proceed. The alternative is "one size fits all", and that, my friends, is not the path to success. Since there doesn't seem to a real spec in the battery industry then I admire Zebralights guts in this matter. They have bit off the task of approaching the manufacture of a tightly integrated design into a spec that really isn't there, and then trusting their high-end customers to understand this and get batteries that meet the spec for their product.

So you need three things to make owing a MkIII work: 1.)A dial caliper. 2.) Batteries that are within spec. 3.) The wonderfully engineered light itself. I see nothing wrong with that. When I go to the tire shop for a fresh set of threads and the guy tells me 'oh it's just a Toyota any old tires will do", I will know better and can educate him about the subject matter at hand.

As poster Conner point out: The spec is on the Zebralight website. That's the spec. End of Story.

+1

Bingo!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
for those unaware of the battery issue get an unprotected Sanyo NCR18650GA ZL sells them on their site they fit perfectly.

Boots45acp

Newly Enlightened
Yippee
Mine is on the way.
Shipped today, will receive it tomorrow.
Found one in stock yesterday at a USA Dealer- immediately hit the "buy it" button.
Dealer showed only 1 available.
A couple LG MJ1's are charging......
Pretty excited about this one.

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
Yippee
Mine is on the way.
Shipped today, will receive it tomorrow.
Found one in stock yesterday at a USA Dealer- immediately hit the "buy it" button.
Dealer showed only 1 available.
A couple LG MJ1's are charging......
Pretty excited about this one.

You should be excited, the SC600 MK III is an amazing, useful piece of gear. It was this thread that originally got me interested and I've not regretted the purchase for a second.

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be excited, the SC600 MK III is an amazing, useful piece of gear. It was this thread that originally got me interested and I've not regretted the purchase for second.
+1

The XHP35-Hi is an outstanding LED; I have the same one on my Manker U21 and it is an excellent throw emitter. :thumbsup:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
saw a pic of the XHP50 SC600 it appears to have a frosted lens...

Right.

ZebraLight felt that a frosted lens was necessary to eliminate the dark cross that sometimes appears in the hot spot of an XHP50 flashlight. Some designers have been able to use a larger, heavily textured OP reflector to accomplish the same purpose, but there is not enough room for that in the ZebraLight.

Last edited:

hmihaylov

Newly Enlightened
I got mine this week. My first use was as a bicycle light (mounted on the handlebars) last evening. It was not yet dark - around 7pm but there was moderate rain and so it was kind of dark in the local park. I found it better than my sc62w for the road or the straight paths - it has tighter hot spot, so I can use it at lower output, with the same effect. And it has wider spill, so I am seen from greater angles. It was not dark enough for the spill to be useful as lighting the surrounding. But I am thinking that for paths with lots of turns the sc62w is more useful - wider hotspot means it will also light into the next turn. I am wondering how this will compare with the SC600Fd III Plus - It will have the wider hotspot but also a lot of light will be "wasted" - also into the eyes of the oncoming commuters/traffic, which is not something I would like.

Last edited: