Zebralight SC600 MKIII HI BUY IT!

markr6

Flashaholic
One thing I have noticed with this light--if my eyes are totally dark-adapted, and I use the low-low for a while, then after I click it off, the emitter still glows for about 10 seconds or so. Really dimly, but with this reflector it's enough to cast an actual beam.

I assume that this is the result of the phosphors on the emitter, rather than a current leak. (And it happens after turn-off from any level, it's just harder to see if you have had it on a higher level because your eyes are not as dark-adapted).

But I don't remember noticing it with any other light I own. Is this a difference with the XP35?

Yes that happens. And if your eyes are really night adapted, you can put the light in your hand (make a fist) and put it against your face to block out any light. You can notice this glow for over a minute, especially if you don't look directly at it.

My Nitecore EC4S did this, TM16 was very obvious, and some Fenix lights I used to have.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I've noticed the glow if my eyes are really adjusted to the dark. It's actually useful for me because I'll turn the light off a few seconds before I actually need to and it gives me a little extra usable light. I'm guessing it has to do with the boost circuit having some residual energy after the light is turned off or something along those lines.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah--so not the emitter, but the circuit. Okay, that makes sense. Esp. if Markr6 has had this happen with other emitters in other lights (I don't recall it in any other light, personally).

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I've got a few lights that do that and they've all got 6 or 12v emitters, so require boost circuits. Probably a cap in there that's just bleeding off when the power is cut.

BethAtTheHug

Newly Enlightened
I just got one today, along with a couple of batteries, from Nkon. Simply... Wow!

Using it as a supplementary off-road bike light. Out of the box medium is a bit too low, and high is awesome! But wont last as long as I want for a ride. I'll probably program H2 to be the 312lm setting So I can have something that'll last and blip it up to full whack only when needed.
Such a tiny light for the size! Well chuffed.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Latecomer to this, I see, and apparently lucky they had one in stock on 9/28. Really nice they shipped 10/3, and it got to me the day before the power went out in Raleigh, NC from Hurricane Matthew. It was out for some here for 5-6 days, mine just like 6 hours. Bad for flashlight, good for my frozen food. INCREDIBLE for walking out to the street, with all power out, no streetlights, to "look at the powerlines". I said to wife. To play with flashlight, despite risk of being hit in the head with a tree limb, in truth.

I finally decided to write to ZL about the switch getting flaky on the old SC600w. Might still get that repaired, rate is reasonable although where I'd find a "check" to write them for the fee is going to take work. A check? Really?

Anyway, had to look at the new SC600s. Mk II never sold itself to me, or the SC63. LOVE my SC62w. Love it more after programming the PID down 5 degrees cooler. But XHP35? That looks cool. What's a "HI"? Found datasheets, figured it out. Neat. More throw, Neutral tint? Even better. OK, shouldn't spend the money but let's try it...

Amazed how small it is vs the original SC600. LOVE the new beam profile. Been reading the mkIII plus frosted-lens thread and happy not to like that beam. I love the ZL flood/throw balance and like this one even more. The SC600Fd isn't the perfect companion to the HI, the SC62 or 63 are, IMHO. Would never call the HI a "thrower", apart from it having enough sheer output to put my 1st run XM-L thrower lights to shame. At 2-3x the battery drain, but still.

Went way overboard on battery choices. New pairs of GA, MJ1, in hand; and if BangGood isn't Bad, 35E as well soon.

Also playing with PKCell 2200mAh (4.4A rated), an unknown 2000mAh SZNH cell from a PocketJuice USB power bank (is it 1C or 2C max?), and some Shenzhen ZhuoNeng SZNS 2500mAh cells sold as 25A but with a lot of research found to be 2.5A max with 5A trip PTCs. But honest 2500mAh capacity.

I get 4.5-4.9A tailcap on a 50% down MJ1, 4.1-4.5 with a fresh one, and batteries lower than that don't seem to be able to do full H1 so draw <4A. I'm in the 4.4A PKcell limit within 30-45 seconds, and willing to tax the 2.5A limit ones at 3A after about 3 minutes of rapidly dropping drain. Gotta try it once to see if H1 triggers the PTC (then never again). This all goes with a new MC3000 charger that has me all experimenty again. I need to get back to that thread.

Anyway, finding this light pretty flexible on batteries. I only have 3 protected cells to my name. Using a wire vs. the tailcap, the Trustfire red flame ( test recently at 1900mAh) must trip at 4A -- light blinks on in H1 and then quits (highest H2 is fine). The Readilast 2900 (NCR18650? Tests 2700mAh recently) works fine in H1. The power bank 2000mAh cell got to 40C after 30 min in the light at H1, no cooling, which is cooler than the outside of the light. In the MC3000 at 2A, it rose 8C over ambient over 30 min (33C I think). So it's probably a 4A cell not a 2A one. Impedance about 60mohm. Not really worried about any of them. H1 for the 30 sec I ever use it for, except when testing batteries, isn't likely to be an issue, and H2 starts below 2A.

All just for fun, anyway. Mostly I use the MJ1 or a little older LG E1 4.35V cell to play with it. The MJ1 on H1, cooled by the light sitting in a glass of water, gave me about 40 minutes runtime before step-down. That's incredible. Water wasn't even _that_ warm afterwards.

I still like my SC52 and 52d size and clip style best for pocket clipping, but it's nice to now have a "tiny" ZL that outdoes every single other light I have in tint, throw utility, and floody-enough versatility. And, bless the PID 5C drop, one that runs in H1 without ever scalding my hand. That was a (literally) sore point with the SC62w before I learned the trick.

It's on back order now, so I feel very special to have stumbled onto "the greatest light ever". Credit to the MC3000 charger and the nifty iOS app for getting back my interest in 18650 batteries instead of AAs. The Xtar VC2 was cool, but OMG... this new one... like I said, other thread for that.

So yeah, "Buy It!", indeed (when it comes back in stock).

ormandj

Newly Enlightened
Is there any site that has these in stock currently? I've looked everywhere I know to check without luck. I've got a ZL SC600Fd MK III Plus XHP50 that's probably getting returned (the floody beam profile just isn't working for me so far), and the SC600 MKIII HI seems like the light I want to replace it with. I realize my chance is slim, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. [Edit: Found one, thanks folks, can't wait to join the thread with some more useful content!]

Last edited:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok got mine recently and overall really impressed! Mine is cool white and as mentioned already, tint is more neutral to warm side to my eyes. I'm really just not crazy about UI as I suspected prior to owning now two ZLs and playing with them. Really like the battery meter tho! My major gripe with this light is the little protruding piece for the split ring/lanyard. It renders light much less able to be paired with a custom holster for daily carry, which this light would otherwise fit into head up.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1476718016.753518.jpg

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1476718028.026495.jpg

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1476718039.097488.jpg

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1476718060.641327.jpg

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the Plus on Hiatus this is the one to get. Actually they are different so you can have both :)

Just make sure the Sanyo GA cell is charged and ready to go when it arrives. If you are getting one with the light hopefully you can charge it before dark.

PocketLight88

Newly Enlightened
I like your idea of getting both!

Unfortunately i don't have any unprotected cells [emoji20] I will have to charge it asap when it comes in the mail with the light!

mico

Newly Enlightened
Mine came a couple weeks ago with the new darker anodising :)

Okay, you were right - it's just about perfectly executed. Nice tint and great beam pattern with such a clean spill. I can't find anything to complain about. I'd keep it even if I never used it.

I was though pleased to find that my standard model is still more impressive on H1 - the wall of light effect.
If my standard was a nicer colour temperature and wasn't slightly yellow around the hot spot i might consider it a superior 'thing'. (But they are really quite different torches.)

So if you 'just' have the standard, are happy with it, and read this thread just to punish yourself - Don't!

Auringonvalo

Newly Enlightened
I would like to double-check that Sanyo NCR18650GA really fits with this light because nkon.nl says it doesn't.

This light needs batteries of 65mm long, it does not work with protected batteries (like from Keeppower, EagleTac or Enerpower) because these are too long. Unfortunately it also does not work with the Sanyo NCR18650GA, because it is a little bit too short. This causes the light to turn off when you shake the SC600w a little bit.

We recommend the LG INR18650MJ1 3500mAh, because this battery fits perfect.

I'm planning to buy a floody light later because right now SC600Fd Mk3 plus is unavailable and it has that tint lottery, so right now I'm looking for a pocket light which can throw. How much longer throw Mk3 HI has compared to that floody SC600Fd? I assume that Mk3 HI is the best pocket light thrower right now? I would prefer high CRI (+90) ~ 5000K thrower, but today that seems to be impossible with pocket lights?

Last edited by a moderator:

TCY

Enlightened
For good throw check out lights like the MH20GT. While the MK3 HI is an impressive light, it is no where near as throwy as those dedicated pocket throwers.

The NCR18650GA is one of the best choices, if not the best, for the ZL MK3 line. It fits the Fd Plus with zero problem and should also have no problem with the MK3 HI.

oeL

Newly Enlightened
I would like to double-check that Sanyo NCR18650GA really fits with this light because nkon.nl says it doesn't.

It does :)
Don't know why NKON prefers the LG, in my eyes Panasonic has more expertise in security and reliability. Ordered the MKIII and some GAs on NKON, fit perfectly.

Last edited:

BethAtTheHug

Newly Enlightened
I bought the HI from NKON with the both an LG and the GA cell. Both fit just fine. I seem to remember that the GA was found to rattle in some (early perhaps) lights.