Zebralight SC600w II L2 Announced for September

markr6

Flashaholic
But the WORST thing is the side switch on this light, what were they thinking!? There's almost no feedback, the button barely clicks, it's almost like a touch pad. It's nothing like the switch on my H600 (awesome switch!) or like my SC52, or my H51, or H52 or...you get the point. It feels like crap, and you can't even tell if you've pressed the switch or not.

Hopefully I just got a bad one, because the output is phenomenal and the tint is very nice for an XM-L2, and less green than my SC52w. C'mon just use the H600 switch Zebralight! This light would be perfect with it.

Yes I believe this is the "soft touch" button of whatever they call it. I think it's a good idea for a headlamp where you want to use one hand easily and quickly while it doesn't move on your head. But on the SC600, I dont know. I like it, but I also like my old H600w and SC52w which are very firm and make more of a click. Just can't decide on which on I like more.

BTW, my new H52w has the soft click too.

jimboutilier

Enlightened
1) Yes. 2) Not on my example.

Maybe this is just semantics. The light comes with a raised bump just before the tail cap on the side opposite the switch. It's not movable (doesn't rotate). It has a very small hole in it that you can install some split rings on or directly attach a string type lanyard. My unit did not include the split ring (installed or otherwise) and none of then rings I have fit due to the small diameter and large depth of the hole. I'm looking for a ring to fit or will grind an existing one to fit.

m1ke

Newly Enlightened
Maybe this is just semantics. The light comes with a raised bump just before the tail cap on the side opposite the switch. It's not movable (doesn't rotate). It has a very small hole in it that you can install some split rings on or directly attach a string type lanyard. My unit did not include the split ring (installed or otherwise) and none of then rings I have fit due to the small diameter and large depth of the hole. I'm looking for a ring to fit or will grind an existing one to fit.
Weird. Mine came with a split ring already on it. Hmm, maybe it's because I got the CW version.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your answers guys.

Maybe some lights come with the split ring installed in the lanyard hole depending on who you buy the light from?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If indeed the darker anodize from a U.S. source is inferior to the previous lighter anodize from a Chinese source, can I get the current L2 model with the better (lighter) anodize somewhere?

easilyled

Flashaholic
If indeed the darker anodize from a U.S. source is inferior to the previous lighter anodize from a Chinese source, can I get the current L2 model with the better (lighter) anodize somewhere?

Yes, I'd even prefer it in raw aluminium if the anodization comes off so easily.

markr6

Flashaholic

Not like I've done any real testing, but after putting the clip on my new SC600wII (dark anodize), I noticed it didn't scratch as I had expected. All of my older Zebralights (light OD anodize) scratched at least a little when putting on or removing a clip. I really like that, plus I think it just looks better too.

m1ke

Newly Enlightened
Not like I've done any real testing, but after putting the clip on my new SC600wII (dark anodize), I noticed it didn't scratch as I had expected. All of my older Zebralights (light OD anodize) scratched at least a little when putting on or removing a clip. I really like that, plus I think it just looks better too.
That's the weirdest system. It makes no sense to me to have to scrape the clip over the anodized finish to attach it.

easilyled

Flashaholic
That's the weirdest system. It makes no sense to me to have to scrape the clip over the anodized finish to attach it.

Its the system that ZL have always used but I agree that a different method of attachment like the screws used for the PD clips would be preferable.

jimboutilier

Enlightened

i only have a few ZLs. A couple SC52CWs and the SC600IIL2CW. I don't notice any difference in the quality of the old vs new anodization which I would classify as fair to poor. I have heavy use Surefires over ten years old that still look brand new. My ZLs range from new to a couple years old and have been gently used but show a lot more wear.

That said, maybe I have an early SC600IIL2 as it's color is the same green color as my SC52s and not the dark grey I hear folks describing for the US ones. I did not get a lanyard split ring either and that may be something they added later.

Still, i love the light. It's class leading bright and small with the great ZL UI that they managed to improve more. It's got a great tint and a very tactile and audible clicky. If I want to stay class leading I'll be replacing it in a year or two anyway So a little premature wear doesn't really bother me except philosophically.

creyc

Enlightened
I don't understand how some people say its got a very tactile feeling switch, and others like myself and mark6 describe it as a "soft touch" switch. (good description) There must be several versions of the switch floating around on this light, because to me there's no way I would use "tactile" in even the same sentence as this light.

Here's the new SC600 Mk II next to the great and very tactile feeling switch in my H600 Mk II (only a month or so older). Notice how it's hard to tell when I'm pressing the SC600 button? It's not much better in person, and it's just as hard to tell when your pressing is actually making electrical contact. It reminds me of trying to type on a touchscreen keyboard, you never quite know if you're hitting the keys or not...

And yes my SC600 came with split ring pre-installed, and no scratches around it. Just a bunch of scratches all over the annodizing.

Last edited:

Philabuster

Newly Enlightened
I don't understand how some people say its got a very tactile feeling switch, and others like myself and mark6 describe it as a "soft touch" switch. (good description) There must be several versions of the switch floating around on this light?

Here's the new SC600 Mk II next to the great and very tactile feeling switch in my H600 Mk II (only a month or so older).

And yes my SC600 came with split ring pre-installed, and no scratches around it. Just a bunch of scratches all over the annodizing.

My SC600w Mk II switch is exactly like the one in the video--soft and provides no feedback.

My 2 year old SC600w switch is exactly like the H600 in the video--nice and firm and makes a clickie sound. It takes about 4x the force to actuate the switch than the Mk II. This has been my EDC light for the past 2 years straight and I love it.

My 1 year old SC600w and my 5 month old SC52w switch are both exactly inbetween the two extremes. It takes about 2x the force to actuate on these lights vs the Mk II switch.

In general, I love this new SC600w Mk II light with the extra features, but the wimpy switch really bummed me out. :sigh:

m1ke

Newly Enlightened
That's odd—my SC600 Mk II L2 CW has a switch like the H600 Mk II in that video.

markr6

Flashaholic
I don't understand how some people say its got a very tactile feeling switch, and others like myself and mark6 describe it as a "soft touch" switch. (good description) There must be several versions of the switch floating around on this light, because to me there's no way I would use "tactile" in even the same sentence as this light.

Here's the new SC600 Mk II next to the great and very tactile feeling switch in my H600 Mk II (only a month or so older). Notice how it's hard to tell when I'm pressing the SC600 button? It's not much better in person, and it's just as hard to tell when your pressing is actually making electrical contact. It reminds me of trying to type on a touchscreen keyboard, you never quite know if you're hitting the keys or not...

That video shows the same two switch styles I have as well.

Old H600w and new SC52w = loud, firm click.
New SC600wII and H52w = very quiet, soft click.

I'm really not sure which one I prefer. But I do prefer the soft click for any headlamp. I'm really tired of having to support the H600w so much on my head while changing modes with that tiny, recessed button.

I really like Zebralights, but they sure drive you crazy! Now when we order we have to gamble on:

- Which tint will you get?
- Switch firmness
- Anodizing color
- Watertightness
- General QC/functional issues

easilyled

Flashaholic
I really like Zebralights, but they sure drive you crazy! Now when we order we have to gamble on:

- Switch firmness
- Anodizing color
- Watertightness

True, but I suppose this is why they're $95. Whilst this is not a budget price, its also not in the price range of the top quality lights either and there is a lot of bang for the buck in terms of output, thermal control, portability etc.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, but I suppose this is why they're $95. Whilst this is not a budget price, its also not in the price range of the top quality lights either and there is a lot of bang for the buck in terms of output, thermal control, portability etc.

Maybe.

But if you asked a retailer, they would probably say that ZL has more production issues than other flashlight manufacturers that cost a little less or about the same.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Maybe.

But if you asked a retailer, they would probably say that ZL has more production issues than other flashlight manufacturers that cost a little less or about the same.

But maybe that's because their flashlights generally have more features in a smaller size than most of their competitors? Isn't this why they're also so popular?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

- Switch firmness
- Anodizing color
- Watertightness
Well that about spells out why I still haven't bought one of the new lights that I'd originally assumed I would.

Great designs with too many corners cut in manufacturing and assembly.

jimboutilier

Enlightened
That's odd—my SC600 Mk II L2 CW has a switch like the H600 Mk II in that video.

Mine too. Both a tactile and audible positive click on my SC600IIL2CW.

Wonder if they source from more than one switch manufacturer and one is softer and the other is more clicky.

creyc

Enlightened
Mine too. Both a tactile and audible positive click on my SC600IIL2CW.

Wonder if they source from more than one switch manufacturer and one is softer and the other is more clicky.

I talked with one retailer who said he noticed the switch was changed on these new lights, and also is seeing a lot more marks on the body right from the factory. :(