Zebralight SC600w IV Plus

holygeez03

Enlightened
Took my Plus with me into the Grand Canyon a couple weeks ago... I didn't do any serious night hiking, but when I did use it after dark and early morning, it was a fantastic trail light... no "tunnel vision" from a pronounced hotspot and it lit up the distance and the ground right in front of me really well.

I used my trusty H52Fw a LOT inside the cabin, but occasionally I used the Plus indoors on super low modes and it performed admirably there as well.

EricJames

Newly Enlightened
Was the highest output of the IV Plus always 2300 lumens?

I could have sworn it was a different value a few months ago. But when I ordered mine today I noticed the number rounded to 2300. Anybody have a clue?

holygeez03

Enlightened
The first post in this thread mentions 2460 lumens, but that was when it was very first announced... the ZL spreadsheet in an early post shows 2440 I believe... I feel like the website may have stated 2400 during the pre-order, but I could be wrong... If so, they must fee that 2300 is a more accurate measurement... it's all negligible anyway.

Enlightened
The first post in this thread mentions 2460 lumens, but that was when it was very first announced... the ZL spreadsheet in an early post shows 2440 I believe... I feel like the website may have stated 2400 during the pre-order, but I could be wrong... If so, they must fee that 2300 is a more accurate measurement... it's all negligible anyway.
It's embarrassing for nearly half a year to pass since the release date with the runtime specs remaining blank on their web site.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I have several recent Zebralights but I'm passing on this one because I prefer the "brighter" cool whites. I'm willing to sacrifice truer CRI for brightness. Call me troglodyte!

Brightnorm

Keitho

Enlightened
It's embarrassing for nearly half a year to pass since the release date with the runtime specs remaining blank on their web site.

I agree. It feels like ZL might have had some turnover in a couple of positions, and some tasks that used to get done are just not being done anymore. It is too bad.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, so I broke down and ordered a SC600w MkIV Plus. It should make a good compliment to my MkIV HI.

Anyway, I was looking at the specs, and it claims 2300 lumens. Assuming that is accurate (is it?), is that over-driving the LED? From the specsheet of the XHP50.2, it seems like the max output is about 1800 LED lumens at a current of 1.5A or 3A (depending on whether you use it 12v or 6v).

I thought Zebralight never over-drives their lights. Is this the first one to do that? Or am I wrong about it over-driving?

I'm used to over-driving in budget lights, so I'm not too concerned. But this appears to be a departure for Zebralight. Factoring in some loss in the lens and reflector, this is probably around 50% brighter than the 50.2 has for its spec.

I must be missing something....

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
50.2 can put out way more lumens than that. It's not being driven that, that hard.

I must be reading the 50.2 Cree specs wrong. They list a J2 bin (the highest for a 80 CRI emitter) at 700mA (12v) produces 1040-1151 lumens (depending on junction temp). If you look at the output graph, it tops out at 1500mA (Cree lists this as maximum current) where the LED puts out 180% of nominal. That is, 1872-2072 lumens.

Okay, my rough guess was a bit wrong before, but that's still less than the 2300 lumens Zebralight claims, and it doesn't take into account lens and reflector losses.

I have no doubt that the 50.2 can be pushed a lot higher, but that appears to be over-driving it out of spec.

Am I reading an out-of-date specsheet? Is the bin Zebralight is using higher than the J2?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
No you're most likely reading it right, but Cree always rates their LEDs output real low.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my SC600w MkIV Plus, and here are my initial reactions.

Very bright! I measure about 2700 lumens on max, right after turning it on with a fresh Sony VTC6 cell. This is higher than the 2300 lumens listed in the specs, so I'm rather surprised. I didn't measure it at 30 seconds, but perhaps it dims to 2300 lumens at that point? Has anyone done a proper output measurement of this light?

It gets hot on max quite quickly, and noticeably starts to decrease in output after about a minute. However, it didn't drop as much as I expected. I haven't measured what it stabilizes at, but it seems much brighter than what the SC600w MkIV HI stabilizes at. Good to know, because I intend to use it as a bicycle light on the H2b setting (which I measure at 730 lumens), and it should be well regulated considering the breeze it will get.

The outputs I measure on other modes are closer to spec: H1 is 2700, H2a is 1200, H2b is 730, H2c is 290, M1 is 150, M2a is 75.

CCT is 4400K. I might measure this slightly warmer than reality, but for reference I measure it 200K cooler than my SC600w MkIV HI. It's a decent neutral tint.

Beam is fine for real-world use, but it's not very pretty for white-wall hunters. Traditional domed Cree emitter look: white hot-spot, yellowish/greenish corona, and cool/purplish spill. By contrast, the SC600w MkIV HI has a fantastic even tint. I don't think the uneven tint will be an issue for outdoor use, as it's pretty common in all Cree emitters except for the HI variant. It's not bad, it's just not a Nichia 219 kind of beam.

It's about as floody as I expected. A bit more floody than traditional Zebralights (SC62/64, SC52/53, etc). Which is good, since I wanted a floody light with good regulation and efficiency to use as a bicycle light. I'm tired of replacing the battery every hour on my current light because it has dimmed too much (BLF A6).

When it's dark, I'll give it a good workout. Damn these long summer days!

Oh, for shipping time to Canada via EMS, it took 8 days to arrive. Zebralight took a couple of days after ordering before shipping, so I think it was 10 or 11 days total. No duty, taxes, or brokerage fees; same as every other light I've bought directly from Zebralight.

NPL

Enlightened
Are people still happy with their sc600w plus? For high CRI lovers, does the light leave you longing for better CRI?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are people still happy with their sc600w plus? For high CRI lovers, does the light leave you longing for better CRI?

I'm still very happy with mine. I use it several times a week, as a bike light. High CRI really isn't my concern as a bike light; output and efficiency are what I'm after. It exceeds at that.

I don't think the tint is bad, but just about anything less than 90 CRI is going to bother people demanding Nichia 219 tints.

NPL

Enlightened
Thanks WalkIntoTheLight.

I am very tempted by an Emisar D4S and the Zebralight SC600W Plus seems like a great contender with better efficiency. They are both very different lights, but if I am not mistaken, the XHP50 die is about the same size as 4 XP-L Hi/219C.

GadgetGeek

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. Been out of the loop for a while but received an SC600w IV Plus today. Very happy with it so far.

Can anyone recommend a holster/case for it? Thanks

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all. Been out of the loop for a while but received an SC600w IV Plus today. Very happy with it so far.

What are you doing posting at 2:40 AM ? did your SC600w keep you awake ? :grin2:

I am using the Jetbeam Mini holster for my SC600.

Q732

Newly Enlightened

I use a Raine horizontal knife sheath for mine. Model # is 004H. It fits perfect in that. Pretty much forget you are even carrying it.