Zebralight SC64w Hi and H53fw

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
ok, try this:

• Three consecutive 5-click (or 6-click, 7-click) to reset the G5 (or G6, G7) back to the factory default settings
followed by a battery removal for one minute.

edit, added:
  1. If needed, use 15, 18, and 21 clicks from Off, to reset to the factory default settings of the G5, G6, and G7 UI groups.

That's how I reset mine. If you get out of the mindset of double-clicking and just execute 15, 18 or 21 quick, consecutive clicks, it's much less confusing and easier to perform.

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
Ok, thanks. It will be needed and tried because nothing else is working and I was about to contact Zebralight for a return.

Just to be clear, do you mean 15-clicks three times sequentially in the G5 mode, 18-clicks three times sequentially in the G6 mode, and 21-clicks three times sequentially in the G7 mode, or rather 15,18, and 21 clicks in sequence one time from off to reset to the factory default settings for all three UI groups?

I have already tried the manual stated procedure of 5-clicks three times sequentially from off to reset the G5 mode, 6-clicks three times for the G6, 7 clicks three times for the G7, all to no avail, and I still can't enter programming mode.

My apologies to Jerry Lee Louis (old stuff), but there's been a Whole Lotta Clickin' Going on.

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. I am about to contact Zebralight for an exchange or return.

I have already tried many times the procedure outlined in the user manual: 5 clicks three times sequentially from off to reset the G5 UI group, 6 clicks three times sequentially from off for the G6 UI group, and 7 clicks three times sequentially from off for the G7 UI group to reset to the factory default settings. In each case I paused slightly between each of the three groups of clicks, e.g., from off in the G5 group, click 5 times/slight pause/click 5 more times/slight pause/click five more times/stop. In each case the headlamp flashes once to acknowledge that I am in the proper group.

But now I will try this doing all 15, 18, and 21 clicks from OFF without pausing between the 5, 6, or 7 groups.

I have contacted Zebralight Customer Service.

Zebralight reply #1: Try programming the G5's H2 first to see if you can change the H2 into different levels.

My reply to Zebralight:

Thank you for your prompt reply.

No, I cannot change the H2 into different levels. Here's what I tried many times:

1. From off I clicked 5 times to assure that I was in G5. The light briefly blinked on indicating that I was in G5.

2. From off I pressed and held the switch until it cycled L1/M1/H1. I stopped it at H1.

3. At H1 I double clicked and the light entered H2, a slightly lower level. Then I paused.

4. From H2 I double clicked six times to enter the program mode. Nothing happened to indicate that I entered a different mode.

5. I paused, then quickly clicked three times to lower the H2 light one level. This did not work. Instead the three clicks resulted in the light cycling from H2 to H1 to off. It did not shift to a lower level.

6. When I turned the light back on I pressed and held the switch again until I reached H1, then double clicked into H2 and nothing had changed.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Zebralight reply #2: Try 'double-click' instead of 'triple click' in number 5

In order to program the H2 level I first enter the H2 mode, pause, then 6-double clicks to enter the program mode (but nothing happens to indicate that I'm in program mode - the light has simply cycled between H1 and H2 three times). After this 6 double click sequence which is supposed to have put me in programming mode, my two alternatives are to either double click once to increase the level, or triple click once to decrease the level. If I double click I'm only shifting back to H1 not changing any level, so when I shut off the light and turn it back on I cycle through L1/M1/H1, and if I double click H1 it simply shifts back to the normal H2. Nothing has been reprogrammed.

If after the 6 double click sequence which is supposed to put me in programming mode, I triple click, the H2 level is supposed to drop one level, but it doesn't. Instead simply shifts between H1/H2/Off. Nothing has been reprogrammed, thus I never entered programming mode.

This is where I am right now.

Apologies to Jerry Lee Louis, but there's been a Whole Lotta Clickin' going on - it's an old guy thing.

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
Ah yes, this_is_nascar, 15, 18 or 21 quick, consecutive clicks in their respective Groups without any pause worked. My group 6 remained screwed up since I first tried programing it, but after entering Group 6 with 6-clicks, pausing, then slamming 18 consecutive clicks worked. My G6 mode is back to normal, but I still can't get into program mode. I'll keep messing with it & see what transpires.

Thank you.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes, this_is_nascar, 15, 18 or 21 quick, consecutive clicks in their respective Groups without any pause worked. My group 6 remained screwed up since I first tried programing it, but after entering Group 6 with 6-clicks, pausing, then slamming 18 consecutive clicks worked. My G6 mode is back to normal, but I still can't get into program mode. I'll keep messing with it & see what transpires.

Thank you.
have a look...

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
Yes, thank you. I previously found and viewed this many times already, but still cannot get into program mode. I'm in and out so may not try this again till later and post here.

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
Apologies for the lengthy post.

It has become obvious to me that either I am doing something very wrong, or I am in possession of two defective Zebralight products, the H53Fw headlight and SC64 Hi flashlight. I'm inclined to believe both lights may be 'normal' in their own Zebralight way, and that there exists a clicking/pause sequence to enter the program mode which completely evades me. While I'm almost ready to concede defeat it would be nice to be able to at least sample the two additional sub-lumen levels in each L/M/H group.

While it was not my initial intention to perform any programming on either light, I'm curious and finally did try to program the H53Fw headlight before discovering that I couldn't enter the program mode from any level or mode. I have tried to program G5's H2, and G6's H1/H2/M1/M2 multiple times each.

Interestingly enough, when I first tried to enter the program mode I did so in G6 mode because I was totally happy with G5 mode and didn't want to mess it up. I believe that from the factory all three modes G5/G6/G7 shared the same start-up levels as G5, although I may have misremembered that. Regardless, in attempting to program G6 mode I must have changed something, because after my attempt the G6 displayed two quirks different from G5 and G7 modes. First, the H2 mode got stuck down in one of the moonlight levels. I can't explain it, nor could I open the program mode to change it. Second, the L1 level increased to about what the M2 level was before. So while G5 band G7 modes remain the same, even though I cannot enter the programming mode in either, I affected some change in the G6 levels.

I tried the 6-click group sequence three times in a row many times trying to reset G6 without success, until AstroTurf kindly replied and advised me to try clicking 18 times in a row without any pause between 6-click groups, and that finally worked to reset G6 to 'normal.' Thanks for that advice, which is obviously different from the Zebralight printed instructions which came with the headlight. Who knew!

While I am mostly satisfied with both lights as they are, I must say the bloom is off the rose regarding any programming ability of Zebralights, and thus can only recommend them for their default settings.

I have tried all the solutions kindly submitted from this website, and those from Zebralight Customer Service thus far without success.

FYI, I contact Zebralight Customer Service twice about programming my H53Fw and received the following:

Zebralight response # 1. Try programming the G5's H2 first to see if you can change the H2 into different levels.

I tried this with negative result then replied to Zebralight Customer Service:

Thank you for your prompt reply.

No, I cannot change the H2 into different levels. Here's what I tried many times:

1. From off I clicked 5 times to assure that I was in G5. The light briefly blinked on indicating that I was in G5.

2. From off I pressed and held the switch until it cycled L1/M1/H1. I stopped it at H1.

3. At H1 I double clicked, and the light entered H2, a slightly lower level. Then I paused.

4. From H2 I double clicked six times to enter the program mode. Nothing happened to indicate that I entered a different mode.

5. I paused, then quickly clicked three times to lower the H2 light one level. This did not work. Instead, the three clicks resulted in the light cycling from H2 to H1 to off. It did not shift to a lower level.

6. When I turned the light back on, I pressed and held the switch again until I reached H1, then double clicked into H2 and nothing had changed.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Zebralight response #2: Try 'double-click' instead of 'triple click' in number 5

I tried this with negative result. Actually, this procedure in G5 simply results in shifting the H2 level to the H1 level without actually changing the H2 level, because when the light is turned back on it simply defaults to the 'normal' H1 level, whereby a double click will shift it into the 'normal' H2 level - thus nothing in the G5 mode has actually changed. So, I did not enter programming mode, but rather the double click simply shifted from H2 level to H1 level.

I also tried these solutions kindly submitted from this website without success:

- Taking the battery out for 1 minute
- in G5 mode doing 5 clicks three times in a row followed by a battery removal for 1 minute
- In G6 mode doing 6 clicks three times in a row
- In G6 mode doing 6 clicks three times in a row followed by a battery removal for 1 minute
- In G7 mode doing 7 clicks three times in a row
- In G7 mode doing 7 clicks three times in a row followed by a battery removal for 1 minute

At least the H53Fw headlight provides some feedback after resetting a mode in the form of a quick blink, whereby the SC64 Hi flashlight provides no feedback whatsoever. Neither light provides any feedback to indicate that you're in programming mode. Once you're in the level that you wish to program and begin the 6Xdouble click sequence to reach the program mode, the lights simply flash back and forth between the two levels (main and sub-level), and when you stop you simply assume that you're in the programming mode. Here's where it all falls apart for me, because at that point three clicks never lowers the level, and two clicks never raises the level.

Stuckly I remain.

josekym

Newly Enlightened
Hello Batuche,

AFAIK, for newer ZLs there is no feedback when entering programming mode, except that when you double click, the brightness should step up in intensity. Triple-click to step down.

Reading your step-by-step, I think the problem may be the "pause" between step 3 and 4. How long a pause are you using? I find that the ZLs have a certain timing to differentiate single from double click. If you are too "slow", the double click becomes a series of two single clicks. That said, I personally consider a double click in ZL as two clicks within less than 1s. Any longer and it becomes two separate clicks.

For me, I've been used to doing it this way (for G5, G6, G7):

1. After double-clicking to get to H2, click once to turn off the light.
2. From off, long press and cycle to H2 and then release the button, wait 1s or more, and then do the 6 double clicks to enter programming mode for H2. At this stage, there is no feedback.
3. Next, try double clicking to see if the brightness intensity responds by stepping up or triple clicking for stepping down (older ZL will cycle thru the available modes for the level - no triple click)

I do the same for M2 and L2 levels.

During my early days of using ZL, I kept on strobing myself by (unintentionally) performing 3 clicks, whereas my intention was to get to L1 (double click) after turn-on (1-click). So now, I put a longer (>1s) pause after my first click from off when I want to get to H1 from H2.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
VOILA! I got it, I think.

Thanks to all for hanging with me through this click fest - your patience was my reward. Here's what I discovered:

My problem was pausing too long after the six double clicks to proceed with the double click or triple click to raise or lower the level. What that meant was the headlight interpreted my late double click to simply mean a change between the sub-level and the main level (H2 back to H1) with nothing being reprogrammed, and a triple click resulted in the same thing then shut off. I wasn't getting anywhere because I placed too much emphasis on pausing.

So, after the six double clicks one needs to progress right into the double/triple click routine with very little delay, or else the chance is missed. Most interesting.

I discovered this while attempting to program the L1 level in G6 mode instead of the H2 level in G5 where a double click level increase was more evident.

Dang if that wasn't an ordeal. Zebralight is mostly redeemed except for the 15, 18, 21 consecutive clicks to reset vs. pausing between 5, 6, and 7 click groups.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Batuche

Newly Enlightened

Thanks to all for hanging with me through this click fest - your patience was my reward. Here's what I discovered:

My problem was pausing too long after the six double clicks to proceed with the double click or triple click to raise or lower the level. What that meant was the headlight interpreted my late double click to simply mean a change between the sub-level and the main level (H2 back to H1) with nothing being reprogrammed, and a triple click resulted in the same thing then shut off. I wasn't getting anywhere because I placed too much emphasis on pausing.

So, after the six double clicks one needs to progress right into the double/triple click routine with very little delay, or else the chance is missed. Most interesting.

I discovered this while attempting to program the L1 level in G6 mode instead of the H2 level in G5 where a double click level increase was more evident.

Dang if that wasn't an ordeal. Zebralight is mostly redeemed except for the 15, 18, 21 consecutive clicks to reset vs. pausing between 5, 6, and 7 click groups.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

What issues are you having with the reset sequence?

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
Nothing since you and AstroTurf instructed to click 15, 18, and 21 times in a row without any pause between groups instead of doing the 5, 6, or 7 clicks in consecutive groups. The Zebralight instruction sheet for both my Zebralight products read as follows:

"Three consecutive 5-click (or 6-click, 7-click) to reset the G5 (or G6, G7) back to the factory default settings"

This implies a pause, however slight, between the 5, 6, and 7 group clicks. This never worked for me, however clicking 15, 18, or 21 times in a row without any pause or hesitation between groups works just fine, therefore in my opinion the Zebralight instructions on resetting a group fall short.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing since you and AstroTurf instructed to click 15, 18, and 21 times in a row without any pause between groups instead of doing the 5, 6, or 7 clicks in consecutive groups. The Zebralight instruction sheet for both my Zebralight products read as follows:

"Three consecutive 5-click (or 6-click, 7-click) to reset the G5 (or G6, G7) back to the factory default settings"

This implies a pause, however slight, between the 5, 6, and 7 group clicks. This never worked for me, however clicking 15, 18, or 21 times in a row without any pause or hesitation between groups works just fine, therefore in my opinion the Zebralight instructions on resetting a group fall short.
glad everything worked out!!!

Jim

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, me too - finally! Figuring that out took longer than I had hopped, but it's all blue sky now. Mapping out a strategy for reprogramming G6 and G7 which should prove to be fun.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Agreed. The reset sequence was confusing to me when I 1st got a ZL.

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
Finally got to use these two lights on a campout and YES, both are highly recommended. Didn't do any lengthy hiking but arrived at our campsite in the dark and the H53fw headlight was perfect in M1 for finding a spot and setting up a tent, as was the SC64w Hi for the brief amount of hiking which we did. L1 and L2 on the H53fw were perfect for getting in and out of the tent without attracting bugs, whereas H1 drew them in. We lucked out and had perfect weather all weekend. I brought along an extra AA eneloop pro but never needed it this outing even though I stayed up quite late both evenings using it for reading for which purpose it was also perfect. With a spare battery the H53fw may be all I ever need for hiking during normal campouts, however at some point I would like to experience something like an H600fc for example. Hmmm!

Again, I really liked the floody beam on the H53fw which is so practical when setting up a tent, reading, and food prep. On both lights the tint is great, plus they are so compact and light. I'll have more observations the longer I use them, plus more to say as I get further into programming, but for this round I couldn't be more satisfied.

Latest posts