Zebralight SC80

Lightman2

Enlightened
Still trying to find someone who has the SC80 .. have searched but find no reviews even though Zebra tell me these are shipping. Someone must have one by now and if so where is the review??

ZebraLight

Enlightened
i wouldnt think so, diameter is larger and keep in mind that the SC51 head was the widest part, the body was much slimmer. So over all it will look much fatter then the Sc51 and for SC31 customers it will look much longer. 23,9mm diameter compared to 22mm is pretty much in this light class

and much heavier.

ZebraLight

Enlightened
Re: ZEBRA SC80

Well then it should take IMR/LiFePO4 14500, 16340, 17500 with no problems. Thats very impressive.

Well, we didn't do any runtimes with these cells, but the voltages are supported.

The SC80 driver is our first try to design a circuit that can run both 1.5V and 3V primaries. What we have achieved is that its 1.5V performance matches the SC51/H51, and in the same time its 3V performance (efficiency/runtimes) suppassed the SC31/H31 by a wide margin.

Zendude

Enlightened

The only thing that worries me is that the sleeve/spacer appears to be positively charged. The only thing preventing it from shorting out would be the coating on the inside of the battery tube. :shrug:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only thing that worries me is that the sleeve/spacer appears to be positively charged. The only thing preventing it from shorting out would be the coating on the inside of the battery tube. :shrug:

I'm confused as to how being in a battery tube is any different than being in a aluminum flashlight tube?

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a good point. I would think that it could be modified relatively easily to increase shorting prevention (electrical tape and sanding the adapter if needed). EDIT: Heat shrink tubing could be perfect.
I'm confused as to how being in a battery tube is any different than being in a aluminum flashlight tube?
The bushing/adapter/spacer is solid metal and if the anodizing or coating on the inside of the aluminum/flashlight tube wore through it would short the battery out. The entire adapter is connected to the positive terminal of the battery, making it much easier for the battery to short. In other designs only the small contact on the head is connected to the small positive terminal, so the battery is less likely to short.
EDIT: My post was speculation, I am concerned about potential battery short issues but I have no idea how the light is constructed.

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could this thread please be locked since the Zebra SC80 thread started first & is longer?

Perhaps one of the mods could just merge the two threads?

and much heavier.

Not a problem to me. A few grams isn't a big deal in terms of the increased versatility these lights will provide.

Granted, I'll probably never run one on a CR123, but having that option is still a plus for the light.

Any estimates on when we can expect neutral or high CRI versions of the SC80?

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's interesting. It looks as if, when using the CR123 at least, the positive connection is made around the edge of the driver where negative would normally be. Surely it can't be making contact in the normal positive place when the spacer is that way up? But then I don't see how they could connect the negative to the centre contact of the driver or how the spacer would connect that way in AA format..

Unless perhaps the centre positive contact is just very wide and almost links to the negative. That could work.

Last edited:

ZebraLight

Enlightened
Perhaps one of the mods could just merge the two threads?

Not a problem to me. A few grams isn't a big deal in terms of the increased versatility these lights will provide.

Granted, I'll probably never run one on a CR123, but having that option is still a plus for the light.

2 weeks.

pblanch

Enlightened
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by carrot
[...] I'll probably end up buying one, but more especially so if it comes in H80 form.

NOOOO! don't say that! now I would want both! I'm already 5 Zebra purchases behind in my wish list![/QUOTE]

My exact thoughts as well. Any comment Mr ZL. You pulled the same trick with the SC600 (which I pre-ordered and then you released the H600)

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another vote for merging threads or closing one of them.
Zebralight,
Can you tell us what emitter will be used, what CRI, and/or what color temp?
Is there any mechanism besides the anodizing/coating on the inside of the battery/flashlight tube that is preventing the adapter/spacer/bushing from shorting out the battery?

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sweet!!! Will it use the same Rebel emitter that's in the 51c series?

I was about to pull the trigger on an SC51c, but if there will be an 80c on the market in the next month, I'll wait for that! I'm planning on getting two! (That way I can put them on my bike helmet and set it up Clone-trooper style!)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I just purchased and received an SC51c all because I was tempted with the high CRI emitter. Now I read that SC80c would be coming in two weeks? Still good news anyway!

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many thanks for the thread merge.

I don't know if I should be happy or sad that neutral SC80 may be coming so soon.

I mean I really don't need one but I still want one. I may be falling off the wagon.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many thanks for the thread merge.

I don't know if I should be happy or sad that neutral SC80 may be coming so soon.

I mean I really don't need one but I still want one. I may be falling off the wagon.

+1!

I can't say I need another light right now... because strictly speaking, I really don't.

However, I can still think of a few things that I don't have dedicated lights for, so I'm rationalizing my planned purchase of two 80c's, or 80w's, as the case may be.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received mine today, very solid light. Protected AW RCR123's fit! The tint is awesome, much nicer than my SC600 (Which isn't that bad at all!) Its creamy white and just about perfect.

I love the versatility, perfect travel light.

-Bobby