ZL H604d ok with protected Nitecore NL1826R with Micro-USB Charging Port?

skid00skid00

Newly Enlightened
I've avoided LiIon battery-using lights so I didn't need to worry about explosions. Eneloops, baby!

Then I got an Olight S1 Mini Baton, which comes with an RCR123 with a mini-USB charge port built in.

My ZL AA headlight isn't bright enough to work under my car, with daylight coming in the garage door. I expect the 604d to be bright enough.

I'm not real keen on going with another charger, and I also like the idea of protected cells. I haven't been able to find info on whether the 604d draws so much current that an unprotected cell would be required, so I can't make an informed decision on the Nitecore protected, USB-charging battery, either. I don't care about capacity, I won't be using it for more than 30 minutes between recharges.

Another question, how do people safely use unprotected cells in LED lights? Are all current lights smart enough to shut off at ?2.7v?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the challenge here is only whether the battery you are looking at is too long to work in the ZL in question.
The protected batteries are longer from the protection circuitry and this may prevent the tail from making contact in there so that the light can work at all.

justanotherguy

Enlightened
I've avoided LiIon battery-using lights so I didn't need to worry about explosions. Eneloops, baby!

Then I got an Olight S1 Mini Baton, which comes with an RCR123 with a mini-USB charge port built in.

My ZL AA headlight isn't bright enough to work under my car, with daylight coming in the garage door. I expect the 604d to be bright enough.

I'm not real keen on going with another charger, and I also like the idea of protected cells. I haven't been able to find info on whether the 604d draws so much current that an unprotected cell would be required, so I can't make an informed decision on the Nitecore protected, USB-charging battery, either. I don't care about capacity, I won't be using it for more than 30 minutes between recharges.

Another question, how do people safely use unprotected cells in LED lights? Are all current lights smart enough to shut off at ?2.7v?

Um, ok.. Been using 18650 for a few years now. not one problem.
Maybe i missed an explosion or to due to lack of attention

skid00skid00

Newly Enlightened
AVService, the battery is slightly shorter than typical 18650s. Thanks for the warning.

skid00skid00

Newly Enlightened
"Maybe i missed an explosion or to due to lack of attention"

And the fact you've never had an auto accident means no one else ever has...
Um, ok..

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Maybe i missed an explosion or to due to lack of attention"

And the fact you've never had an auto accident means no one else ever has...
Um, ok..

If you think a "protected" cell is going to save you from your imminent fiery death due to battery explosion, think again. The protection circuit is there to protect the battery, not you. It actually make things more dangerous, since you have positive metal strip running down the negative metal can of the light. Any slight damage to the wrap, and you have an instant short-circuit which will cause an explosion. You're going to die, either way.

Even your "safe" Eneloops are going to kill you, when you swallow several dozen of them. This assumes an Eneloop-user is as stupid as the lithium-ion user you're assuming is going to be blown up by being careless or dumb.

Or, for the typical careful user on this forum, both Eneloops and lithium-ion are far safer than most daily activities. That dessert or salty snack is going to cause you more health problems than your battery.

Last edited:

JStraus

Newly Enlightened
I got over my LiIon fears long ago. You will too. And I got over the need for unprotected batteries in current Zebralights, I think you will too. (And once you do, you'll have a world of fun and inexpensive pocket rockets at your feet. Just use best practices with charging because unprotected cells are plenty safe in a Zebralight.

Lastly, consider a frosted lens Zebralight, rather than the mule. I think most would consider it more versatile than the mules. I find that the frosted beam pattern makes you forges you are wearing light. It just puts an excellent beam and gentle spill wherever you are looking. To my eyes, it just provides light in a very comfortable way.

But really there's not much to worry about with modern 18650's and a decent $4 charger.

ven

Flashaholic
As mentioned, now most ZL's are quite fussy length wise which is deliberate. No need for protected cells, built in low voltage protection and what zebra's are about........more compact. Good charger, good cells(sony,samsung,LG,sanyo,panasonic) from a reputable source is a must. Ironically, over the last maybe 10yrs, i have had 1 battery vent on me! It was an AA nimh which hissed and got very hot.

There are signs other than blinks etc etc. When you get down to 3v, flashlights wont hold higher levels, either wont get or step down straight away. So LVP is a back up for what really should become obvious(unless running a super low mode for ages). If using a charger with a V read out or %, you can soon learn how much voltage/mah your using day to day. Even if swap out cells and charge every day or every 3 days (examples).

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
> I got an Olight S1 Mini Baton, which comes with an RCR123 with a mini-USB charge port built in.

congratulations :)
use protected cells in your Olight, because it cant tell the difference from the CR123 primaries that it also works with, and can overdischarge an unprotected cell

> My ZL AA headlight isn't bright enough to work under my car, with daylight coming in the garage door. I expect the 604d to be bright enough.

the 604d has built in low voltage shutoff, you dont need protected, but if they are not too long to fit, you can use them

> I'm not real keen on going with another charger,

me neither, that is why I like the Olight Universal charger
it does eneloops and also LiIon, from a USB outlet
I charge while sitting at my computer

> Another question, how do people safely use unprotected cells in LED lights? Are all current lights smart enough to shut off at ?2.7v?

it depends on the light
if it is a CR123 light then using LiIon should be protected
few CR123 lights have built in LiIon protection

if it is an 18650 light and has no built in LVP, again LiIon should be protected
some 18650 lights have built in LVP

yes some people use unprotected LiIon in lights with no built in low voltage protection
I do that by paying attention to the brightness of the light. When it gets dim, I know my battery needs a recharge.

I also own a voltmeter, and I check my batteries whenever I think I have used the light enough to warrant concern that it may need to recharge

I do not repeatedly fire turbo, I do not charge my batteries unattended. It is during recharging that the danger of venting with fire comes up, IF the cell is ICR and was overdischarged. IMR cells are less prone to exploding.

I suggest more reading about LiIon safety here
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/safety_of_lithium_ion_batteries

I respect that you are wary of LiIon, I am too
education helps me feel more comfortable
welcome to the club

skid00skid00

Newly Enlightened
"Lastly, consider a frosted lens Zebralight, rather than the mule"

I've got both in AA. I LOVE the mule. It just isn't bright enough in that one circumstance.

Thanks for the info.