Fenix L1/L1P 1st impressions - please post here

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Blue said:
even though they start out at about 1.7?

Correction: The Energizer data sheet lists them as 1.5v, not 1.7v; I misquoted the figure. Still, as I noted earlier, the circuit in the Fenix is rated to handle anything from 0.9-1.7v (not 1.1-1.9), so you should be safe. I managed to mentally mix up the operating range with the voltage of the lithium batteries - you're still covered, however, so far as operating them goes.

Phredd

Enlightened
Comparison Shots

I thought people might like to see the L1P v2.0 finish, color and tailcap compared to some other lights.

Here are the Arc LS (natural), Fenix L1P (satin black) and Peak AAA (gloss black):

fenixfront.jpg

Here are the tailcaps of the Surefire Aviator, Fenix L1P and Arc LSH-P:

fenixback.jpg

Last edited:

bhds

Enlightened
Nice picts phredd:)

Put another thumbprint on the lens this morning.:ohgeez: I think I might have to put a small split ring on it so that I can distinguish front from back.

Off topic for a second. Does anyone know of a single C cell luxeon light? This light really shows that you dont need 3v lithiums to drive luxeons anymore. Seems like a C cell would still be a fairly small package with excellent runtime.

redduck

Newly Enlightened
bhds said:
Received my L1P 2.0 today. As I posted in the groupbuy thread- this light kicks---!

Some first impressions:

Reflector- Very noticeable circular machining marks. Doesnt seem to affect the actual beam though. 4sevens said that this has been improved upon in version 2.5. Not a big deal to me.

Some one was asking how to tell the diff between 2.0 and 2.5. Here it is, by just looking at the reflector.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if a clip could be made for this light? The 2 holes for the lanyard could be tapped, and a nice clip like the PD new Ti clip. (the shape is really cool)

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
great work, Ray....

edit: do you folks think it is ok (in the long run) to leave the push switch "on" and twist the body into the tail to operate the light?...sometimes i just like to :)"twist it".....+ it may save the clickie

Last edited:

redduck

Newly Enlightened
Mr. Blue said:
great work, Ray....

edit: do you folks think it is ok (in the long run) to leave the push switch "on" and twist the body into the tail to operate the light?...sometimes i just like to :)"twist it".....+ it may save the clickie

This will increase the wear and tear on the threads for sure.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
t_i_n- thanks for the graphs! It really appears that lithiums are a nice way to go in this light (and they reduce weight to boot). Man, the Fenix really puts that Chromestar thing to shame :D.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Solstice said:
t_i_n- thanks for the graphs! It really appears that lithiums are a nice way to go in this light (and they reduce weight to boot). Man, the Fenix really puts that Chromestar thing to shame :D.

I'll use lithiums in any light that I can. I like the lighter wieght and performance. As for that Chromestar, that is true, but what you don't see is that the Chromstar holds that level for well over 10-hours.

onthebeam

Enlightened
Interesting chart indeed. Thanks Nascar. Poses a small dilemna though. So many are pleased that the Fenix takes inexpensive AAs versus CR123. I checked at Sam's Club today and Eveready AAs (they don't sell Duracell) are only about .30 each. The Eveready E2 Lithiums are about $1.60 each! Yikes, that's quite a difference to take advantage of the obvious advantages. (I buy Streamlight CR123s from DLS Enterprises for $1.25, the same price Battery Station charges for their brand.) So, for the Fenix, do you all think the Lithiums are worth the price differential? I just checked Battery Station--they have the Everready E2s for $2 each but their own brand for $1 each. Does anyone have experience with the Battery Station ones??

(Interesting that the cost savings of the Fenix using AAs is wiped out if using even Battery Station lithiums at $1, versus CR 123s in other lights at $1.25)

When I saw that impressive chart, I also began to wonder about my Nuwai Q 3. Can anyone find a link to a similar runtime chart here? Does have such a flat chart using its Lithium CR123s, too???

Any advice is very much appreciated since I'm eagerly awaiting my Fenix v. 2.5.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I am awaiting my fenix also. I think the avantage is in being able to use cheap alkalines and nimh, not using lithiums. I plan on using my energizer 2300 nimh AAs mostly in mine and when needed use either alkaline or lithiums as backup. Sure the runtime/output will be a little different but running cost is more important to me not uber performance.

Latest posts