CR123 2C MagMod and bulb info (more pics!!)

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CR123 2C MagMod and bulb info

Litho: Thanks for the info on the sag and runtimes. Can you estimate the 1499 on 3x123's runtime?

PM sent addy :D

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am on the same set of 123's and I been using mine for a long time and its still bright. I had it running for quite a while- I shot all those beam shots of the reflectors which took quite a bite of time as you can guess. I don't think I am at full power but there is pleanty of juice left- enough to give me a 20,000 lux reading with a HOP reflector.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi all! I received the new 1057 bulb from Litho123. Thank you very much :)

My preliminary observation is that this bulb is on the lower end of the output scale. I hope to take measurements and post some good beamshot later this evening.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

PICS!!! Still getting use to my new fully manual 8.5mp digial camera so these are fair for first time beam shots. I hope to improve my skill as I shoot more.

There should be FIVE indoor and FIVE outdoor pictures that come up. I'm using imageshack to link them and my celphone for uploading so I'll have to check them out tomorrow. Enjoy :)

This first set is a 30-foot distance down a hall. Yes the stock mag usability actually looked just like the photos. (as did the other beamshots)
The camera was next to the Mag but I zoomed 4X to the eye chart to better examine the beam centers.
-- Stock Mag2C --
-- 1057p --
-- GH24 --
-- 612 --
-- 1499 --

For these outdoor shots I tried to focus the beam to its widest without any donut or black spot in the center.
The distance is about 30-yards to the corner of the fence.
-- Stock Mag2C --
-- 1057p -- -- GH24 -- -- 612 --
-- 1499 --

Rommul

Enlightened

CromagNet said:
PICS!!! Still getting use to my new fully manual 8.5mp digial camera so these are fair for first time beam shots. I hope to improve my skill as I shoot more.

There should be FIVE indoor and FIVE outdoor pictures that come up. I'm using imageshack to link them and my celphone for uploading so I'll have to check them out tomorrow. Enjoy :)

This first set is a 30-foot distance down a hall. Yes the stock mag usability actually looked just like the photos. (as did the other beamshots)
The camera was next to the Mag but I zoomed 4X to the eye chart to better examine the beam centers.

2cstock30ft0mp.jpg
-- Stock Mag2C --

2c1057p30ft1et.jpg
-- 1057p --

2cgh2430ft9yl.jpg
-- GH24 --

2c61230ft8bc.jpg
-- 612 --

2c149930ft2gt.jpg
-- 1499 --

For these outdoor shots I tried to focus the beam to its widest without any donut or black spot in the center.
The distance is about 30-yards to the corner of the fence.

2cstock30yd4cv.jpg
-- Stock Mag2C --

2c1057p30yd8vb.jpg
-- 1057p --

2cgh2430yd4ef.jpg
-- GH24 --

2c61230yd2pg.jpg
-- 612 --

2c149930yd2sl.jpg
-- 1499 --

Trying to clean up Cromags post

I hope everyone can see the pics now.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys :)

I got tired of waiting on my slow connection last night and also forgot to give you the LUX readings.

1057p = 16,000 LUX @ 1m

Could someone please add info about this bulb as to volts, watts etc and a link where to find them?

Here are a few more pics! Enjoy :)

THis one shows the FOUR bulbs up close.
(from left to right) -- CL-612, GH24, CL-1499, 1057p --

This is the set of parts.

This is the acrilyc tube to help hold the CR123's

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh forgot one more thing to help view these better in your browsers... for gosh sakes,

HIT THE F11 KEY!! :D

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
I use 4 Nicad 1/2 sub C's and drive a WA1183 bulb. This is much brighter than the 3x123/GH24 set-up I've run in the past. Judging from the beam shots, I'd guess that the WA1183 is brightest of everything. Of course, you must buy the batteries and a charger like the Maha C777 II.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info Lightedge! I wasn't aware of the NiMH setup you mentioned and it sound like a nice package. :)

What prompted me to start looking for this CR123 setup was to have a light that can sit in a box or car for a long time using lithium primary cells for shelf-life. I wish I had a runtime ploting doowah to hook up so I can measure all of these bulbs with accuracy.

[edit]
So after looking at these pics and swapping out the bulbs etc I like the Carley setup. It looks to me that the CL-612 Krypton can focus to a little wider hotspot than the CL-1499 Xenon. Maybe because of the shape and size of the larger 612 bulb. I think they will both have a similar runtime of approximately 30-minutes so I would probably choose the 612 using the stock mag reflector but would probably go with the 1499 if I had a Carley textured reflector or if I tried to frost the 1499 bulb.

Maybe I'll do some runtime testing since it's probably a short 30-minutes anyway and I have a bunch of CR123's to burn :)

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Specs for the CA1057p 6.0v 2.00a MSCP 19 Life 200 hrs Color temp 2900
Available at The Carley catalog http://www.carleylamps.com/

**Thanks again to Litho123 for the Bulb and the spex :D

Since this is such an easy mod even for a noob like me, I'll pass along this bulb in continuing the CPF spirit that Litho123 has started. Just send me a PM with your address :)

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Just my luck, you're giving away a 1057P when it appears (according to the data on this thread) that what I really should have bought was a 1499 instead of the 1057.. :ohgeez:

Hopefully someone will come along and give this bulb a good home.. :)

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Schuey2002 said:
Just my luck, you're giving away a 1057P when it appears (according to the data on this thread) that what I really should have bought was a 1499 instead of the 1057.. :ohgeez:

Hopefully someone will come along and give this bulb a good home.. :)
LOL The 1499 will become available before you know it or someone will sell some on BST (like Litho123 when he gets more) You need to keep in CPF spirit, which is, when posed with a choice... ALWAYS GET BOTH. :crackup:

** Additional information update **
I was trying to do a limited runtime test. The modded 2C with CL-612, after about 5-minutes got pretty darn hot sitting there all by its lonesome. So I turned it off and opened it up to check the batteries, which were pretty hot to the touch. Might have melted the stock reflector parts etc if left on to 50% runtime. Not sure about the safety at this point.

Any comments from the veterans?

Schuey2002

Enlightened
CromagNet said:
You need to keep in CPF spirit, which is, when posed with a choice... ALWAYS GET BOTH. :crackup:
I hadn't read anything about them prior to buying my 1057, otherwise I would have bought one.. :whistle:
Any comments from the veterans?
Oh, yeah, where were we? Vets, please continue this discussion.. :candle:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Schuey2002 said:
I hadn't read anything about them prior to buying my 1057, otherwise I would have bought one.. :whistle:

Oh, yeah, where were we? Vets, please continue this discussion.. :candle:

No worries Schuey. I'll send you mine if you really need one ASAP just PM your Oregon Addy. Afterall JimH gave it to me to post some beamshots and test results.

And jump right in on the hot battery topic :)

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Thanks for the offer, CromagNet, but I can't accept it. I don't want to make it look like I was using this thread just to get a free bulb. I'll just wait until Litho123 has some more for sale. Besides, I'm still waiting on a C-cell host (that I purchased on this board eons ago, :ohgeez: ) to arrive. So, I have no way of using your (or even my) bulb even if I wanted to.. :)

Since I really have nothing to add on "hot battery" issue, I'll clam up so this thread can steer back on course ( Plus, I'd rather not be accused of thread veer..) :sssh:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
CromagNet -

6V * 1.7A 10.2W keeps you within the convention of 10W being the limit for Mag reflectors.

3 cr123 cells * 2.3 (under load) is 6.9V * 1.7A = 11.73W which puts you in the possible warping area. I wouldn't sweat it.

It was your photo that caused me to start trying to track down a CA1499 because it's so tiny. I want to try it in a smallhead HOTWIRE. I've got 1 good possibilty for 1. I wish I could find it and its' siblings on the Carley site. Looks a bit like a PM6 and I know Carley makes bulbs for Pelican.

Schuey2002 -

Please don't step out of this thread. You are contributing greatly to it and fellas, I think this may be the best 3X123 Mag2C thread to date.

--------------

- Jeff

Niteowl

Enlightened
CromagNet,

Love the info as I recently decided to try the basic 2C "mod" myself. The Home Depot has the 2C's for a good price so I picked a couple up.

The bulb I'm using is the RS KPR112. I doubt it comes close in performance to the bulbs you are using, but at $1.39 my budget can handle the apparently short life span. I went through one set of cells (well over 1hr.) and 10-15 min. into the next set before it blew. I'd probably just change the bulb with the cells next time. That said, I'm looking for a bulb that's a little more robust and I suspect the 1499 might be the answer, but the 30min. runtime might be an issue. Was that for all the bulbs you tried? Would the 1057 run longer?

I'd be courious to see how the humble KPR112 stacks up against the 1499 and 1057. Any chance of you trying the KPR112? Other than the poor beam quality, I thought the KPR112 held up rather well against my SF 9P/KT throw wise but the SF's beam was more usable as it lit up a larger area with even brightness.

One last thought, in the picture of your parts, I can't tell if you clipped your spring. I experianced heavy dimpling in the bottom of the cells so I had a friend machine the tailcap so the spring sat in an 1/8" further to make up for the difference in length of the cells.

Again, great thread with the pics!

Rommul

Enlightened
I am curious where people buy metal reflectors for these lights.

I have a 2c with a KPR112.

I haven't run through a set of batteries yet but apparently they suck juice and have a low lamp life (15 hours according to the package).

I have a KPR118 in the tailcap as a backup.

Anyone have an idea what would be a good bulb that produces a similar amount of light but with a longer shelf life.

I don't need a big light right now (this is my first serious light) if I do I can build something later.

I am probably going to pick up some more KPR112's this week (say 4) anyway so I am just asking some questions.

Anyone have any idea about runtime on the GH24's with 3 CR123?

Last edited:

litho123

Enlightened
Light-edge.com currently has the aluminum reflectors in stock.

Aluminum reflectors come in assorted finishes.
SMOOTH, (undercoat & aluminize) - This finish mimics the stock Maglite reflector, uglies and all. Some feel that this gives the best throw in terms of distance.
The Orange Peel coatings vary from LIGHT, MEDIUM, to HEAVY coating.
LIGHT ORANGE PEEL (LOP) – Some smearing of the "uglies" The hotspot is a bit more uniform. Some feel there is a small loss in distance throw vs. the SMOOTH finish.
MEDIUM ORAGE PEEL (MOP) – More smearing of the "uglies" The hotspot is a bit more uniform/larger than the LOP. Some feel there is a small loss in distance throw vs. the LOP finish. Some feel that this is the best tradeoff and is starting to have that surefire type hotspot.
HEAVY ORANGE PEEL (HOP) – Further smearing of the "uglies" The hotspot is a bit more uniform/larger than the MOP. Some feel there is a small loss in distance throw vs. the MOP finish.
Sales in order of popularity: MOP (50%) LOP (25%) SMOOTH (15%) HOP (10%)

CAMMED (adjustable) vs. CAMLESS (fixed)

CAMMED OPERATION
The stock Maglite has a cammed reflector…as you rotate the head, your focus varies from flood to narrow to flood to narrow… The angled cam at the rear of the reflector is what is doing that. Otokayama, Fivemega, Light-edge, and others have made limited quantities of cammed aluminum reflectors to use with the superbulbs and sometimes are hard to find. They generally are more expensive than the camless reflectors.

CAMLESS OPERATION
The camless reflectors do not have the cam. It has to be focused by other means. We have to use focusing shims to obtain the focus you want. Most people like a nice, narrow beam for maximum throw. Focus shims are added until you have the desired focus. It is very easy. Once the light is focused and reassembled, the focus does not change despite rotating the head. Having operated both, I prefer not having the cam. You set it, then forget it until you change bulbs.

RE: the KPR112
I got tired of replacing them like candy as they popped so frequently. I went to Meijer and picked up a 2-pak of Mag 5-cell bulbs for 3.99 and use those instead. You get about 90+ minutes of runtime on a set of batts. My dad is on his 4th set of batts without a blown bulb to replace.