CR123 2C MagMod and bulb info (more pics!!)

WhiteHot

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:
I'd be a LOT more eager to jump at a 2C mod if it could accept Pila or Wolf Eyes 168 cells (67mm long). The inability of the 2C to accept these cells is what prompted FiveMega to offer his 2-1/2C Mod. Alas, that mod is no longer available.

Isnt the 168A the same size as a regulated 18650? I fit a pair of those inside of my 2C. I just had to slide the switch forward a few mm's and then mod it a bit so it would accept the switch boot. This did require popping the c clip holding the switch out but :shrug: it still works fine. Remove the anodizing from the tailcap, cut down a spring from the hardware store and you are done.

I guess the 2 1/2 C is simpler (if you have the money) but this mod was essentially free :)

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
WhiteHot said:
Isnt the 168A the same size as a regulated 18650?

No. Pila's 168A is 67mm vs. 65mm.

I just had to slide the switch forward a few mm's and then mod it a bit so it would accept the switch boot. This did require popping the c clip holding the switch out but :shrug: it still works fine. Remove the anodizing from the tailcap, cut down a spring from the hardware store and you are done.
You've just described two, maybe three tasks that are beyond me. However, in other threads two CPFers have volunteered to deanodize for me.

WhiteHot, you haven't mentioned what you used to hold the 16850 cells in place. PVC from the hardware store?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cromagnet -

PM me your delivery address and I'll send a KPR-112.

"Mag Krypton 5 cell: whiter than the KPR112, good output, good beam."
- not2bright

For the less expensive, longer run-time versions I think not2bright has a good plan. Mag Krypton 5 cell white star installed and the Mag Krypton 6 cell white star in the tailcap. Sputter the original reflector.

------------------------

- Jeff

WhiteHot

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:
WhiteHot, you haven't mentioned what you used to hold the 16850 cells in place. PVC from the hardware store?

I just used some clear 5/8" ID vinyl tubing from the HW store.

not2bright

Enlightened
Icebreak said:
Cromagnet -

"Mag Krypton 5 cell: whiter than the KPR112, good output, good beam."
- not2bright

For the less expensive, longer run-time versions I think not2bright has a good plan. Mag Krypton 5 cell white star installed and the Mag Krypton 6 cell white star in the tailcap. Sputter the original reflector.

------------------------

- Jeff

Jeff,

One small correction. I am running the Mag Xenon 6 cell in the tailcap. I am sure the 6 cell Krypton would work as well, but the Mag 6 cell Xenon is VERY white.

Actually for the runtime and bulb life, the 6 cell Xenon seems great. The 5 cell Krypton just has a bit more "WOW" factor.

In any fashion this is a great mod. Especially with the sputtered reflector.

WhiteHot

Enlightened
I got my Big D SLA bulbs today. I put the LO bulb in the 2C with protected 18650's and it took a few clicks to fire up. I took a pic of the following (left to right):

ROP (5C) BigD SLA HO, LOP, and BF lens
ROP mini: 2C Mag w/protected 18650, Big D LO, UCL, and SMO reflector
2C Mag, 3x123, CA1499, UCL, SMO reflector

I like the CA1499 waaaaaaay better.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
not2bright -

Dang it. I don't like making mistakes like that.

Krypton5C on point. Xenon6C back up.

Very good plan.

WhiteHot -

Nice beamshots. Thanks for bringing them.

---------------

- Jeff

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icebreak said:
Cromagnet -

- Jeff

CHEERS to Jeff for offering to send me a bulb to add to the testing. :thumbsup:

I'll stop at Ace hardware tomorrow and see if they have any 5D or 6D bulbs. Maybe they might have the KPR-112 :shrug:

WhiteHot

Enlightened
I have a bunch of the KPR's too. I can compare them to a the Xenon 6 cell, a CA1499, a BigD SLA low output, and the GH24 if anyone is interested. Just let me know what combos you would like to see since I only have 2, 2C hosts.

I also have 2 5 cell bulbs from a stock mag 5C. Are those krypton stars?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
WhiteHot said:
I have a bunch of the KPR's too. I can compare them to a the Xenon 6 cell, a CA1499, a BigD SLA low output, and the GH24 if anyone is interested. Just let me know what combos you would like to see since I only have 2, 2C hosts.

I also have 2 5 cell bulbs from a stock mag 5C. Are those krypton stars?

Hey! Great stuff WH! Let's see the 6cell/1499 and the SLA/GH24 and anything else you can manage :)

PM Sent for 5Cell- Thanks :)

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just dropped a KPR112 and a Krypton5C Whitestar in a mailer to Cromagnet. Maybe it gets there by Tuesday or so.

I can't tell you about the gas but here's what I see with two Mag 6cell bulbs:

The envelopes (glass) are shaped differently.

The factory installed 6C has "6 Cell Japan" on the base, the WhiteStar Has "MAG + HK1F3" on the base. The WhiteStar's filament is longer and has a thicker spiral than the Original Equipment lamp. The WhiteStar is potted in a light yellow material, the OE is in a light blue material. The WhiteStar is manufactured in Hong Kong. The OE, Japan. (The KPR118, often confused with the Mag 6C OEM, has KR 7.2V 0.7A on the base, uses brown potting and is made in China. It's big fat filament takes care of do-nut holes)

Oh yes, that Xenon Mag-Num Star not2bright was talking about? Other than being the most ridiculously named lamp on the planet, it is made with higher quality than the OE and the WhiteStar...they just don't like overdrive much. Who wants a Numbstar? Well, they are nice lamps. They are manufactured in Mexico.

Last edited:

WhiteHot

Enlightened
So here is what I came up with. I converted both of my 2C's back to 3x123 with the stock reflector and UCL. They were all using fresh Panasonic CR123's.

The pic below is of the bulbs in the order I took the beamshots in.
CA1499, GH24, KPR112, 6 cell Xenon Star, 5 Cell stock mag, BigD SLA low output

I used the CA1499 as the reference in all shots. It is always on the right. The wall was 8 ft away. The camera settings were underexposed and help constant

GH24

KPR112

6 cell Xenon Star

5 Cell stock mag bulb

BigD SLA low

Enjoy.

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
None seen terrible...are they much different in person? Is the trouble of finding the PR 1499 worthwhile? I thought I saw numbers that showed the 1499 blowing away the others, but it isn't obvious to me from the pics...???

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, WhiteHot.

I opened up two ImageShack windows to do an over and under comparison. That 1499 has a well defined, dense hotspot. G24 looks like second place for beam quality. The effort is again appreciated.

Nasty -

It's true. Sometimes white wall shots can be a little challenging to read. What is good about them is showing beam structure. One can then kind of imagine what they will do when projected out into a real world setting.

One thing is certain. All of those are better than a stock Mag 6D with stock 6 cell lamp. Stock Mag 3D wouldn't be in the competition at all.

WhiteHot

Enlightened
If you can find it, the CA1499 is well worth it. Since the filament is smaller, it focuses better and throws further. It really is alot brighter than the rest of the bulbs in person. Go back and compare the hotspots. If the wall was further away, it would probably show better. Also notice how white the beam is compared to the rest. I think that the GH24 is the second favorite, especially when run on Lithium Ions. The KPR112 is really white, but if you look at the hotspot, it isnt all that, well, hot ;) I actually really dislike the bulb because it instaflashes A LOT. The Mag bulbs are just ok but the run times are really good. The jury is still out on the BigD SLA LO but it does throw a pretty good wall of light.

In the near future, I will do a few more beamshots with a target that is a bit further. That it where the CA1499 really, well, shines.

Edit: Just for fun, I decided to measure tailcap current of the bulbs. Here is what I found:
CA1499: 1.75A
GH24: 1.79A
KPR112: 0.93A
6 cell Xenon Star: 0.85A
5 Cell stock mag: 0.75A
BigD SLA low output: 1.87A

I also measured a TL-3 bulb at 1.16A. That is a really nice light for its size.

Last edited:

Hardball

Newly Enlightened
First ,my apologies for a subjective review, I am only an unenlightend newbie so what I am posting is only my perceptions and is not quantified with any technical data.

Anyhow:
My new friend Niteowl sent me some cool plastic tubing :thanks: today and I put together my new/old 2C saglite with the 3 X CR123 battery mod.

I added the rubber o-rings as he recommended and lit off a LWSA601U bulb from our friends in Ontario, CA; (couldn't find a 5 cell bulb to save my soul).

DANG! This thing is bright! I ran it outside against my old SF 8X and at fifty yards the new/old was considerably brighter than the the Surefire. It didn't throw as well at distance over 75 yards, but we are talking about a $20 light versus a $125 light, (when I bought it long ago).

The other obvious distinction is the 8X uses NiCad's, but that is partly why I abandoned it in the first place.

I also picked up a Xenon 6 cell bulb and will report once I have a good take on that and when I finally get my TL-3's.

Hope this sheds a little more light.
Man, I really love that flashlight humor.:crackup: