SHOT Show 2006 Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darell

Flashaholic
Solstice said:
The SF Pocket Rocket sounds awesome! Couldn't be much simpler UI (similar to the Spy)- I'd love to see a pic, but I guess no one got one. ..
Hey! Who you calling "nobody?"

Here are two versions on the man himself. One had a mechanical release, the other was magnetic.

2006_shot03.jpg

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Darrell- I get a good idea of the size from those (nice and small! Sweet!). Can't see too much detail, but it's better than nothing ;).

On the other hand, I have no problem viewing the whiskey :D.

Darell

Flashaholic
Solstice said:
On the other hand, I have no problem viewing the whiskey :D.
That's some sort of Korean sake-like drink. Soju? Something like that. I started off not liking it, but was forced to like it near the end there. :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
I haven't seen anybody else reporting on what JSBurly's was showcasing at his SHOT Show Booth, so here it goes:

If I had to use one word to describe the Indium Smart, it would be: WOW! I think Jon, Angus, and Fergus have outdone themselves with this new light. The design lines are beautiful, and the finish (HA, a couple of colors, plus a limited CPF LE coming soon!) is top notch, and the o-rings provide complete waterproofness. The light comes with a removable clip and has a tripod mount for added functionality. For some reason I was expecting the Smart to be larger, but it's not. The size is just right, it feels nice in your hand, and it's straightforward to access both buttons. "Both buttons"? Yes, the Smart has 2 buttons, which can be configured to an almost unlimited set of options. To do this, you plug the Smart Module into a computer (via USB cable) and use their software to select the options you want.

Man, I'm so excited about this light that I'm getting side-tracked. :crazy: The Indium Smart is the first and only flashlight you can plug into a computer and customize to *your* needs. You can make it as simple as you want (on/off), or add as many features as you need to satisfy your needs. Some of these features include brightness levels (with Gamma correction :naughty:), strobe sequences, fading, Morse code messaging (I imagine this would be a plus if you are in the military or police and want to send an IR coded message or something like that). Here's a link to their software and manual webpage.

If you're not tech-saavy, don't worry! The Smart will be offered with a basic set of options that are bound to satisfy your needs right out of the box - no changes necessary. If you do change your mind, though, it's just a matter of plugging the light into your computer and changing the settings. The software is really straight-forward to use and it has a "preview" feature that allows you to see what your customized features will actually look like once downloaded into the light.

Customizing the light doesn't end there. The Smart also has user-interchangeable Lux modules so you can upgade your light as you wish. The current default is a LuxIII module (bright!!), but Fergus showed me a K2 :naughty::naughty: module also. (BTW, did you know the K2's dome is flexible? It's like hard jello or something.) You can, of course drop in whatever Lux you want at any moment. It really is just a matter of unscrewing a module and screwing it back in. The Smart is so "smart" (pun intended), that it also allows you to set maximum drive currents and will let you know when you're not running at safe levels. You ran out of batteries? No worries! The Smart can run from 1.8 to 24V, so primaries, Pila li-ion rechargeables; even a car battery is fair game with this puppy. How cool is that!? The Smart also has a couple of different head/reflector options for those of us who favor more throw vs. flood, etc. Think of the Indium Smart as the ultimate flashlight.

There are a couple of other lights that Jon showcased at SHOT (to see all of them, check out his new site, jsburlysbenchmark.com - bringing custom designs to the public).

One of these new lights is the GatLight. The Gatlight has an "open" design, where its innards are visible (battery, optic, etc.)! Despite this, the light is fully waterproof (Walter had a lit-up unit in a container full of water the whole time). The Gatlight is also somewhat customizable, in the sense that you can choose different materials for the body rods (the light looks like a Gatling gun), screws, etc. (Yet) another neat feature of the Gatlight is that it has unlimited regulated brightness levels: you turn the switch knob on the back of the light and voilà! hi, low, and everything in between. Very neat to see this in action. The Gatlight has different-sized bodies, so you can use different batteries (primaries, li-ion rechargeables, etc.)

Another new light available from jsburlysbenchmark will be the NeocaWood, from our very own PEU. The NeocaWood is a work of art. The light uses 1x123 to power a LuxIII, NG750 sammie. The body is made out of highly polished brass. What sets this light apart from all other offerings is the wooden "quebracho skin" that covers the outside of the light. Quebracho is a precious wood from South America, and its color will change (darken) with time, giving beautiful look to the light.

Seems like the GreenMan got carried away again... :crazy: I still have some comments left about Pila, Inova, HDS, and Seoul Semi (can you say pink LED's? ;)), but I'll report on those later on.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
The Beast II is an HID light, Tom. The lights I referred to are all Lux-based. That's like comparing grapes to carrots.

LowWorm

Enlightened
greenLED, thanks! That's what I've been talking about...I was hoping someone would report on Jon's Benchmark lights since they're not yet available to the rest of us poor folks. Well, I guess some of them are (Gatlight - older version- and Neoca Wood and McLuxIII-PD). But the Indium Smart's not. I was curious to how the size of that seemed and how they looked up close and personal (the pictures are great, but it's so hard to tell scale from those).

Can't wait until the Smart's available and Jon's jsburlysbenchmark.com site is totally ready to take orders. The light lineup there already looks impressive, and it will be interesting to see what other custom lights make the cut to be featured there.

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cornkid said:
WOW... NICE LIGHTS!!

That little flashlight cant possibly be the Beast II, can it??

-tom

"drooling"

Yes it is! It is not much bigger than a 2D Mag. It has a new kind of ballast technology. The control algorithm was so complicated they needed to drive it with a computer CPU. Additionally it uses rechargeable batteries to handle the high current drain of such a small package. It also has instant on capability.

I bet it will sell like hot cakes.

Dave

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darell said:
That's some sort of Korean sake-like drink. Soju? Something like that. I started off not liking it, but was forced to like it near the end there. :)

Soju is ok, now, lemon soju....mmmmmm....something good to order at a Korean restaurant...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If I got it right, the conversation I overheard during a photo-op of the Mini-Beast at the SF booth, PK said that it was powered by rechargeable LiIon cells, three.

Bill

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Bullzeyebill said:
If I got it right, the conversation I overheard during a photo-op of the Mini-Beast at the SF booth, PK said that it was powered by rechargeable LiIon cells, three.

Bill
Confirmed during the Surefire party.

cy

Flashaholic
Hellfire is powered by one or two li-ion batteries. the 12amp hour cells are aprox. motorcycle size batteries giving aprox. 3 hours or 6 hours depending if one or two is used.

it was indeed my pleasure and honor to meet eveyone in person.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hi All,

I scanned through this thread, but did not find the exact information that I am looking for. As such I apologize in advance if this question has already been covered in this thread.

Does anyone have any information or pictures as far as SureFire releasing any DARPA style Flashlights to the public in 2006?

Any and all insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DARPA lights will never see production and release to the public as 'DARPA' lights. However, the new Kroma is quite similar to one of the DARPA lights and is being released soon. One could only speculate on the release of the other DARPA light(s).

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hi Beretta,

I greatly appreciate the quick reply.

Might you be able to fill me in on some of the specifics of the Kroma Lights, in as far as how it is similar to the DARPA series Light.

Would you know roughly speaking the physical size of the light, as well as a price point and possible release date? Also, are there any existing pictures of this Flashlight?

Once again, Thank You for your insight, and I apologize for all of the questions. I am just very excited at the possibilities and hoping to learn as much as I can.

All My Best,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.