from where to buy Nite-Ize IQ switch

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
jburgett said:
:sold:
I just placed my order for two from www.batteryjunction.com
Thanks MattK!

My testing plans include:
1) Nite-Ize 5mm kit - should work here no problem expected.
2) TerraLux TLE5 - next brighter step & higher current
3) Peak Caribbean with 2AA body - (my highest current setup) should replace the Kroll switch.

Earlier in the thread someone pointed to a 1amp max spec. If true, it should work on all three setups listed above.

Thanks !

The first thing I'm gonna do (after shipping all of your order) is throw 2 on TLE-5's, one with alkalines and the other with lithiums and let them run all day and see what happens. If it works I think this may be the killer app for the IQ.

I'm also going to see if I can get my hands on a certain TerraLUX prototype that I hope to be announcing here soon...*teaser*

moses

Enlightened
A key question for me is whether it can handle 1 amp at 4 volts....:)

Would be much grateful if someone can check.

Blessings,
Mo

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
jburgett said:
:sold:
I just placed my order for two from www.batteryjunction.com
Thanks MattK!

My testing plans include:
1) Nite-Ize 5mm kit - should work here no problem expected.
2) TerraLux TLE5 - next brighter step & higher current
3) Peak Caribbean with 2AA body - (my highest current setup) should replace the Kroll switch.

Earlier in the thread someone pointed to a 1amp max spec. If true, it should work on all three setups listed above.

Thanks !

The first thing I'm gonna do (after shipping all of your order) is throw 2 on TLE-5's, one with alkalines and the other with lithiums and let them run all day and see what happens. If it works I think this may be the killer app for the IQ.

I'm also going to see if I can get my hands on a certain TerraLUX prototype that I hope to be announcing here soon...*teaser*

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
... and let them run all day and see what happens. If it works I think this may be the killer app for the IQ.

Shoudn't that be , "and let them run for 13.5 minutes and then I click the button for it to run an additional 13.5 minutes?"

Seems like it would render a whole day useless if you had to wait around every 13.5 minutes.... Reminds me of that show "LOST" where they had to reset the timer every 128 seconds/minutes...

Last edited:

harryballs

Newly Enlightened
I would like to say Matt provides awesome service. A true CandlePowerForums Supporter!
goodjob.gif

Thanks Matt!

Just ordered 4 IQ Switches!
buttrock.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
Try First Class Mail - it will be about 1/2 that.

UPS Ground rates are what they are, theres nothing we can do about that.

Missed the option to choose first class. Now that's more like it :)

Anyway, before I order, does anyone know if this is a reverse clickie (ala Fenix) or can you operate these in a true momentary fashion?

Mr_Light

Enlightened
CM said:
Missed the option to choose first class. Now that's more like it :)

Anyway, before I order, does anyone know if this is a reverse clickie (ala Fenix) or can you operate these in a true momentary fashion?
This is an electronic IC controlled switch. This cannot be used in momentary fashion. Each click takes you through the three levels and two flash modes (see details earlier in this thread). If you pause a couple of seconds the next click will be off, but there is no way to do momentary.

Before anyone starts buying lots of these they need to read the product description (including the Auto_Off timer that cannot be bypassed, only extended in 14 minute increments!).

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
Hi Flashlight,

We're working on coding air letter rates into the cart but it's been a very complicated and long process. In the meantime if you email me via CPF or directly via the website with your country I can arrange Air Letter rates for your order which should be under $5.

I want to say a BIG :thanks: to Matt & Batteryjunction.com for stepping up to let me get my order through. :goodjob:

heathah

Newly Enlightened
I was at the Bass Pro Shops in OKC today and saw they had the IQ Switch in stock. So, I had to pick up a couple. I tried it after I got home (and after a quick battery change) I found that it works very well.

The only thing that bothers me is that it doesn't seem to screw on as tight as I would've thought. The outer lip of the switch does not seat against the end of the flashlight tube. It simply screws tight enough to keep the o-ring on the switch between the flashlight tube end and the outer lip of the switch itself. I guess this would be waterproof but I wonder how well it actually seals. Has anyone else tested the waterproofness of this light?

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
are there 2 versions of this switch ?

in a picture I saw long ago the switch looked pretty nice and compact - not much bigger than a kroll.

I saw a picture recently and the switch looks like it is over an inch long. - I hope that I am nutz - wrong.

I want one for my arc ls but not if it is much bigger than a kroll.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
These have been a long time coming. I just ordered a couple from Matt to see if they'll work with my two MMMMags with 1W and 3W sammies. If they do, these will be revolutionary, especially at this price and I'll be so glad to get rid of those Krolls! The auto off doesn't bother me as I'm running unprotected Li-Ion cells but I understand why it would be to some. By the way, First Class Mail ordering from Matt is $4.45.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
harryballs said:
I would like to say Matt provides awesome service. A true CandlePowerForums Supporter!
goodjob.gif

Thanks Matt!

Just ordered 4 IQ Switches!
buttrock.gif

Thanks Harry!

I'm wondering if you're wife is gonna kill you or just be glad the purchase was relatively inexpensive. :)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
markdi said:
are there 2 versions of this switch ?

in a picture I saw long ago the switch looked pretty nice and compact - not much bigger than a kroll.

I saw a picture recently and the switch looks like it is over an inch long. - I hope that I am nutz - wrong.

I want one for my arc ls but not if it is much bigger than a kroll.

Well the switch is just making it to market so truly there's only one real version but perhaps the pre-production prototypes were different?

I last saw the prototypes in March and they were definitely smaller than an inch, less than 1/2 of an ich IIRC.

I'll have most of the answers tomorrow ~11AM when the UPS truck arrives. :)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beacon of Light said:
Shoudn't that be , "and let them run for 13.5 minutes and then I click the button for it to run an additional 13.5 minutes?"

Seems like it would render a whole day useless if you had to wait around every 13.5 minutes.... Reminds me of that show "LOST" where they had to reset the timer every 128 seconds/minutes...

LOL - yah pretty much but I'll be doing lots of other stuff while they run.

I <3 LOST.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Do you think these will work in a Pelican M6 LED? I just got a bunch and I'm thinking I might try to modify the clickie sleeve I have to see what happens.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to BassPro shop after work today and picked up one of the IQ switches to evaluate inside and out. Here's some photo's of the circuit:

NITEEZx.jpg

NITEEZy.jpg

NITEEZz.jpg

I wasn't impressed with what I discovered. What I didn't like is that the first thing the current flows through is an inductor that uses very fine wire and has a very high DCR (D.C. resistance) of 2.5 Ohms. Yuck! This is how the circuit stays powered when the light is using the path to turn on the light at the same time. You have to have some electronics knowledge to understand what I'm saying. Basically it means that this design calls for a wasteful amount of power to run the circuit when the light is on. You will notice a substantial brightness difference with the IQ and then without the IQ switch, especially when using a mod such as a sammie that has a high current draw.

Neat product, but not very efficient and a good bit of brightness will be lost with the IQ switch.

Last edited: