from where to buy Nite-Ize IQ switch

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bozzlite said:
I received an E-mail a couple of days ago from the Web site (Trading Post Supply) that I had pre-ordered some of these new Nite Ize IQ switches.

The word now is that shipping has been delayed until June 17th. They have also removed this product from their web site for the time being, but all previous orders are still active.

:huh2: :awman: :shakehead

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
:( yes, its delayed by june / july....

I wonder why good products always get delayed.... :sigh: talk about LRI proton :sigh:

I hope it's not too late ....

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Yikes! Another delay?! I had been waiting for this switch for the longest time, and hopefully, there is no auto-turn-off when it is finally released in Jun...or the user could turn off the auto-turn-off. :popcorn:

Bozzlite

Enlightened
AuroraLite said:
Yikes! Another delay?! I had been waiting for this switch for the longest time, and hopefully, there is no auto-turn-off when it is finally released in Jun...or the user could turn off the auto-turn-off. :popcorn:

Yes indeed, very frustrating. I just hope that when I do finally get them that they work with the Minimag and TLE-5 combo. I imagine that at the 50% setting it would be equivalent to the Nite Ize drop-in at full power. Also I imagine that the 25% setting would be about like a Dorcy 1AAA as far as out put goes.

Also I imagine that the 15 minute timer would be a PITA if I wanted to use it in candle mode at 25% during a power outage or as a night light on a camping trip.

My imagination is running wild, but I bet I'm pretty close.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
Latest official word on the IQ Switch.

Here is a note I just received from Cari Allen at Nite Ize, Inc.
Dear Robert,

I have updated specifics regarding the Nite Ize IQ switch that I wanted to share with you. The auto-off timer will be included (contrary to what I shared with you earlier), and will not be user-selectable. It is our experience that more often than not, flashlights are inadvertently turned on (frequently by kids or by "overstuffing a bag") by someone other than by the user.

The timer is 14.5 minutes for the shut off.

At 13 minutes the light will flash to signal that it is close to shutting off and prompt you to hit the button to re-activate for another 15 minutes.

At 13.5 minutes the light will flash to signal that it is close to shutting off and prompt you to hit the button to re-activate for another 15 minutes.

At 14 minutes the light will flash to signal that it is close to shutting off and prompt you to hit the button to re-activate for another 15 minutes.

At 14.5 minutes the light will turn off unless it has been re-activated.

Additionally, the on/off timer is only active in the continuous light mode. It will not turn off in a strobe mode. I hope you will find this information helpful; your support of Nite Ize products is greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I would be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Cari Allen
Nite Ize, Inc.
[email protected]
800-678-6483

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Oh, this is way too early for an April fool joke, but sure it reads like one!!!

After all this wait, and the auto-off is back on?!

I thought it will be really nice not to have it since it totally defeat the purpose of candlemode--just imagine you are in some kind of emergency(say fixing something somewhere dark and rainy), and you need just a lower level of light so it can run and run....and the light keep turning off every 14.5 minutes...and you have to keep picking it up from a candlemode and reset it while the light keep slipping in hand. Another scenario, it is winter time and you are wearing your thick gloves, you put the minimag with IQ switch in a NiteIze headband and go to work in a snowy condition...now you have to restart/reset the light every 14.5 min? :ohgeez:

Also, one point worth mentioning is that if the user turn off the light at the IQ switch and twist the bezel all the way down(turn-off position)...then he/she will have a 'double-off' for the minimag, and the likelihood of it turning on by accident is totally minimize. Also, the rubber part for the IQ switch is recessed in, so even one more reason why an auto-off is not necessary since an accidental turn-on is not that like-ly.

I mean if the light could accidental turn itself on by both twisting the bezel 'on' and pressing 'on' a recessed button, against all odds...how could a 14.5 min auto-off do any better to prevent it? :dedhorse:

greenLED

Flashaholic
AuroraLite said:
Also, one point worth mentioning is that if the user turn off the light at the IQ switch and twist the bezel all the way down(turn-off position)...then he/she will have a 'double-off' for the minimag, and the likelihood of it turning on by accident is totally minimize. Also, the rubber part for the IQ switch is recessed in, so even one more reason why an auto-off is not necessary since an accidental turn-on is not that like-ly.
That's an excellent point, AuroraLite. Not much chance of both things hapenning at the same time to turn the light on. I am glad to have the auto-off function to prevent battery drainage (especially problematic with kids in the house).

We should keep in mind that Nite-Ize is having to work around an existing design of light, and there's only so much they can do with that kind of restriction.

Mr_Light :twothumbs on contacting Nite-Ize directly (and it's nice of them to actually reply with all those details). :thanks:

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Well, on the bright side, you can set it in slow strobe and use it as a makeshift houselight during a blackout.

...Hope you like KISS concerts.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
AlexSchira,

But with the new auto-off at 14.5, I don't think you can though--especially it is the only light source you have and it wants to turn dark every 15 min.

Greenled,

I see where you are coming from, and to some extent, yes it is probably a good solution to those who might intentionally turn on without remember turning it off. But as those scenario described, I surely will hope NiteIze could make it an option to allow user to turn off the 14.5min-auto-off or even completely go without it. I wouldn't even mind trying to get a groupbuy together just for the sake of that...

But don't get me wrong, I for sure do really appreciate NiteIze effort to bring cool accesories to the market, and certainly purchased many of their products in the past. So in the end, I would still most likely purchase the switch even with the auto-off, but just not as many as I would like to... :rock:

bodyguardlight

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about getting a nite-ize C and D led upgrade lamp and i thought $9.00 was to much maney to pay without knowing how many lumens it might be?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The auto /off timer sours me on the Nite Ize IQ switch. Maybe someone will devise a mod to disable it?

AlexSchira

Enlightened
At least the strobe modes are unaffected by the time, letting us still use it as a beacon while camping and as a somewhat annoying but functional area light during a blackout. A few of us were dreaming about these things on low power going for days on end in candle mode, but so much for that. The timer would make me feel safe enough knowing I have a light that won't burn itself dead in a pocket or bag, but unfortunately, this is just another exaple of safety not being off-the-wall fun. I'll pick one up just to fool around with it and maybe find a use for it, but this is the first Nite Ize product I won't be buying in bulk for friends like I have with the LED upgrades and teir holsters.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's mid June, I thought these things would have been in stores by now. Let me guess another delay?

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beacon of Light said:
It's mid June, I thought these things would have been in stores by now. Let me guess another delay?

Here's a reply from them quoted from another thread -

russtang said:
This email was from 6-13-06

Dear Russ,

Thank you for contacting us here at Nite Ize. The IQ switch will be available at the end of this month. Once available, you may purchase the IQ switch online at www.niteize.com and www.zbattery.com. Some additional new products you might find of interest are C/D cell L.E.D. upgrades, currently available at Target, Sportsman's Warehouse, and Bass Pro Shops, and AA MagLite L.E.D. Upgrade Kits in red, blue and green, available at Bass Pro and Sportsman's Warehouse. You can read more about these products on our website:

http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=127&PHPSESSID=6a13cef2489d7d3347425b62cf6d602f

http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=110&PHPSESSID=6a13cef2489d7d3347425b62cf6d602f

Your support of Nite Ize products is greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you have any questions and I would be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Cari Allen

Nite Ize, Inc.

I think Ms.Allen must be swamped with email inquiries from CPFers & others including myself. :D

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The end of the month is here and I haven't seen any IQ switches for sale at any of the retailers on Nite Ize web site.

Hopefully before the end of July now?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys - I'm now being told the expected ship date is July 7th.

I'd like to put them on the site for pre-order but with vaporware like this I'd rather not take orders until I at least have a tracking number from NiteIze.

SOON!!!

:)

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's good to know, now I will be having one of these in my hands at the latest by next week (hopefully).

Latest posts