Lights you sleep with

kramer5150

Flashaholic
For night vision preservation, any one of the following:
-E0 with a Surefire neck lanyard hanging around my neck under my t-shirt.
-L1T-V2 on low, inside my t-shirt, clipped to my shirt collar.
-Minimag solitaire, beam diffused with scotch tape on the nightstand.

My fave is the E0 paired with the SF lanyard.

Last edited:

LightCannon

Enlightened
The light i sleep with rotates around each night, usually because I convince csshih to loan me a couple of his lights to fiddle around with...and sometimes I'll have more than one "partner" in bed. Hurray for flashlight promiscuity! :D

Ultrafire 502B
csshih's EZAA (which, for some reason, is attached to MY keys...lol)
csshih's D20
Maglite Solitaire (when i remember to replace the batteries...)
DX fauxton (when i can find it on my nightstand. Usually It's paired up with the 502, since the 502 is too bright for my eyes in their half-awake state)

uh....

I'm not going to touch the whole cellphone screen lighting thing in case I get torched by a flamewar.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it hard to believe that it took 68 posts (unless I missed it earlier) for the Safelight to be mentioned in this thread. The Safelight Superbright was my main bedside light for at least 2 1/2 years, using low to navigate during nightly trips.

But I always said I could almost get by with just the glow mode to see around, but not quite, and low was too high. It reamains on "lighthouse" duty on the corner of the table to keep me from crashing into it on return to bed when half asleep, but I started using a cheap coin cell light with a Nichia DS modded into it (low Vf) and a pretty dead 2032 cell. This works very well, and gives a nice split between low and glow on the Safelight. The same "dead" battery has been running since mid-last summer, with little change in brightness.

But now my #1 middle of the night navigator is my own creation, which is a simple Nichia DS + 10,000 Ohm resistor on a 9V cap. I bedded the LED and resistor with hot glue, and bent out a couple of the tabs on the connector to the positive so it can be pivoted for switching. The 10K Ohm resistor keeps the output to just over 0.5 mA, which is plenty in the middle of the night, and will run for approximately forever, give or take a week, on a full 9V - but I just use old ones from smoke detectors or whatever, they work just as good as new ones. I have not even come close to killing a used battery with this.

I always add a flashlight D'jour with low to medium output to tailstand on the nightstand for getting ready for bed and getting up in the morning, when I WANT to be woke up more. Usual suspects include, but are not even close to limited to, a DS-modded Gerber IU (yes, I like Nichia DS LED's), a Novatac 120P or a Fenix L1T on low.

In the bottom of the nightstand is the Dereelight CL1H and Colt 1911 .45 ACP for other less routine tasks.

Last edited:

saabgoblin

Enlightened
I have actually fallen asleep with my Princeton Tec Tec 40, a stock Surefire L1, an old school Lumaray FL12, and my Princeton Tec Aurora Headlamp. As for what's on my nightstand, well that list is considerably longer but I do keep some nyogel close by at all times.:naughty:

jcs71

Newly Enlightened
Well my main light is a mini-mag with nite-ize led. I use that one for most in house stuff including middle of night bathroom breaks. I also keep my Stinger charged up so it is ready to go. My collection of other lights are scattered around the room in case I want to use them instead.

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
Gonna give that trick a try that someone else mentioned earlier, (the one that works by voice command--"Honey, get the lights".) At first glance it would seem to show a lot of promise. I'll keep you posted.................................:ohgeez: :oops:

Well, the final results are in, and I do mean final...................9:00 to 11:00 pm---it works pretty good, actually. Started noticing a slight delay around the 10:30 hour. After midnight, don't even try it. Total disaster...Made the Burning of Atlanta look like a Boy Scout Camp. After the second try, I learned a whole lot... went back to the E01s. Should of stayed there, really.............uuuuh, what's the word...................?
:duck::whoopin::stupid:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
photo.jpg

Tomahawk LE attached via Tek-Lok to a kydex sheath holding a Rexford modified wharnecliffe custom. That's under the pillow on the other side of the bed.

KL4/E2DL/E1B/FLuPIC/P7 lego with strike bezel on the window sill above my head.

CdBoy

Newly Enlightened
when i go to bed:

i always have my trusty Fenix PD30 torch holstered in a Nite Ize Lite Holster Stretch.

its very comfy and reassuring that in case of emergencies i always have a light to shine on.

22hornet

Enlightened
For night vision preservation, any one of the following:
-E0 with a Surefire neck lanyard hanging around my neck under my t-shirt.
-L1T-V2 on low, inside my t-shirt, clipped to my shirt collar.
-Minimag solitaire, beam diffused with scotch tape on the nightstand.

My fave is the E0 paired with the SF lanyard.

True.
During the last week I have been using one of the Maglite Solitaires as well. With the standard bulb and powered by an eneloop it is a great "nightwalker". Providing enough light (1 to 1.5 lumens) and the yellowish tint is actually a very good thing as it is soft on your sleepy eyes.

Sometimes I think I have come full circle:
In the nineties I only had Maglites. Been on CPF since 2006 and buying many different brands. Now, 2009, I'm using Maglites again (thanks to Malkoff, Terralux and Nite-Ize).

Kind regards,
Joris

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Mag 4D w/ Terrlux LED, Surefire G2L and MiniMag 2AA w/ NiteIze 3-LED reside on my nightstand.

Mag 4D - for when I here something go bump in the night inside my house.
G2L - for non-threatening bumps in the night.
MiniMag - for everything else because the output is bright enough for navigating though a dark house but not blindingly bright. Plus it lasts forever.

Might switch my Mag 4D to a 6D with Hi ROP. :cool:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I sleep with one of my tactical folders cliped on one of the pockets of my PJ's and a SF Back-Up in the other.

We have a house in Palm Desert, which is ground zero for The Big One... Earthquake, that is. With this in mind, I want to be able to get out with at least a light and knife.

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Titanium Lummi Wee on a titanium chain around my neck. Occasionally I will hang it on the bedside lamp but can find it easily because of the trits. . .