Minimag 5mm nichia gs

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a handful of nichia gs 5mm leds in my spare parts box so I trimmed one and popped in in an old minimag I had laying around. Drilled the reflector to fit but otherwise no mods. Put in some 2-3 year old store brand batteries and started a runtime test. From the get go not as bright as a nite ize conversion but pretty equal to my photon. We are now 90hrs in and subjectively I'd say it's down to 50% of initial brightness. Very impressed so far! Definitely a great BOB or hurricane option.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I did a Yuji 5mm in a minimag runtime and trurned it off at 57 hours, when it still appeared to be at about 50%. It started out a lot less than some but after 48 hours on some used alkalines was a heckuva lot brighter than any of my other lights at that point... (the ones that even lasted 48 hours that is).

You're right, great for when there'll be no lights for a while.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
108 hours now and still very very useable. Loving this budget vampire!

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job. I've put a 5mm Yuji in my old mini-maglite, too. I was surprised how well it worked.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the key to a good result with this type of mod is getting a low vf bin.
one can cheat a bit and run lithium primaries.
btw if it works like the ebay high cri leds i got with rated 3.0-3.2vf that check around 2.75 with a chinese parts tester/identifier it will run weeks at a low level on even cheap carbon zinc cells.
you may get tired of trying to run it dead.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bi-pin adapter sleeve for my old school 2D....I should try it. Run time should be ridiculous indeed.

...aside from a huge 2D unit running a tiny 5mm at 8 lumens.... :candle:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bi-pin adapter sleeve for my old school 2D....I should try it. Run time should be ridiculous indeed.

...aside from a huge 2D unit running a tiny 5mm at 8 lumens.... :candle:

Triple emitter, direct drive mod!

I'm not sure how one would pull it off, but then you'd be on par with the original output.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
179hrs and still going good. Definitely not winning any output contest but a completely usable light still. Probably half as bright as my photon freedom.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I plugged the venerable Yuji 3200K into the 2D bi-pin adapter sleeve...fits like a glove. Not too bad beam pattern all things considered.

I dont have any fresh cells for a valid test so I will go out and get a new set of D cells Monday and try it out.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So I plugged the venerable Yuji 3200K into the 2D bi-pin adapter sleeve...fits like a glove. Not too bad beam pattern all things considered.

I dont have any fresh cells for a valid test so I will go out and get a new set of D cells Monday and try it out.

Ok. Let us know which year it finally plays out. lol.

Good stuff Buck91. Thanks for the update(s).

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
216hrs no visible change since the last update. I'm thinking the next update will happen when I notice its no longer a subjectively "useful" level of output. My basic test is "is this bright enough to use the john in the middle of the night"

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yup, when it's truely dark that'll keep your toes from crashing into stuff (ouch!!)

I stopped one at 50 some hours and set the light aside for times we need a little light for a long time.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
An AA Minimag with a Nite-Ize reflector sporting a Yuji daylight emitter and a fairly depleted alkaline or NiMH can throw quite a bit more than a Yuji'd Photon, depending how it is focused.

Those night-time bladder evac sojourns do well with one of these, with the additional advantage of the stock method of turn-to-activate being quiet enough to not wake up an easily stirred spouse.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
No hour clock anymore as it had other duties. If you want to do the math see above posts for time stamp.

Still running with useable output. Looks like approx 2-3 lumens to my untrained eye. Definitely useable by not overly bright. Terminating the test so I can place the light back in my "inventory."

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Such awesome-ness.
For those who lived it, the minimag and 2C/D were spectacular on a fresh set of batteries. Much brighter than a Yuji. But the typical life of a Maglite was it sat most of the time. Some shelf, ledge or drawer in the home or perhaps in an automobile. So when the time came to use it the blast of photons was normally far from spectacular. But.... it got the job done for finding a crayon under the sofa, finding a screwdriver in an unlit shed or fixing a flat.

The Yuji mod is at least as bright as those lights with less than full output after batteries of the day had sat around all dis-charging-like. The Yuji mod gives a good output night after night.... after night... (and with C/D fuel month after month).

Thanks for the input Buck.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
After putting a NVG blue/green LED emitter from a Photon into a Minimag, it appears that ~3volts from the AA's results in a more green, than blue color (the Photon uses 6volts) but it is still interesting.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Post reserved for updates)

Consecutive days running never shutting off Since April 9, with Yugi 5mm in a Maglite 2D: 90

I have terminated this test due to boredom. There is still usable light coming out of the front. I estimate in the 4-6 lumen range.

Last edited:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well my 2 testers have crossed the 1 month mark.
a 2aa with used hf alkaleaks is still quite usable.
a 2 aaa with used gd alkaleaks is at the super dim glow stage.
dim as in see the die shape comfortably looking directly at it.
a prior test with 2 aa camelion carbon zinc ended with sudden death overnight with 2 weeks runtime.
they came out with staining on the label and corrosion pimples you can feel .
these things are so cheap n nasty i can crush them with my fingers with little effort.
so even with total garbage these mods can go a long time.