Minimag 5mm nichia gs

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if I tried this in a 4D how badly I'd be over driving it direct drive? I'd be concerned about two lithium AA's in direct drive as well.

Got a bunch of yuji's on the way, I guess I'll find out.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if I tried this in a 4D how badly I'd be over driving it direct drive? I'd be concerned about two lithium AA's in direct drive as well.

Did not run a pair of fresh primary lithium AA's for very long but the amount and quality of light was impressive indeed.
Also used a piece of wood and copper foil strip to make a dummy battery with a 10440; not a good idea. The emitter turned color in a bad way. I turned it off quickly and it was OK. It's funny because 6Volts (pair of 2016's) is Ok in a Photon pinch-flashlight, being significantly brighter than a single 2032 battery. Guessing low current/capacity of coin cells matters.

By-the-way, decided to take the turquoise emitter out of the Minimag and installed it in a vintage Photon Freedom with covert nose; much better with the 6V making the tint what it is supposed to be.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are meant to take just over 3V, you are proposing 6V...they will live a short life. Poor little Yuji....never hurt anybody...you be so mean to it. :mecry:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep...that is what I used...

I basically put the cells in and threw it in my drawer, checking the alki-leak batteries once a week. I have a traffic cone diffuser I put on it just for fun. It is amazing what you can still see and do using a light that has only 4-7 L.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or if you're a cheap-*** (like me) you can take any-old PR2 base bulb and bust out the guts. Solder the positive lead of the Yuji into the center hole (it's just filled with solder), and the negative to the inside wall of the can. Helps a lot to pre-tin the can on the inside and outside for heat transfer to the negative leg - just file off excess solder on the outside. That way you're not trying to get your iron inside the can with the LED in there.

PJ

Enlightened
Here is a size comparison for the Yuji 5mm and the bulb from a 2C Mag ML25IT indcandescent.
The Yuji plugs right in, no cutting or bending the leads. I have one that has been running for about 2 months on NIP Duracells that expired in March 2014.

I just dug up an old Minimag, have to figure out how to Yuji it.

With my Emisar D4S, BLF Q8, orange 2D Mag with a red/orange Luxeon III, Surefire lego with an N62 500 lumen bulb and many other lights why am I so fascinated by a 7 lumen light?

Attachments

• Yuji-Magbipin.jpg
    Yuji-Magbipin.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

gregorytomlin

Newly Enlightened
Here is a size comparison for the Yuji 5mm and the bulb from a 2C Mag ML25IT indcandescent.
The Yuji plugs right in, no cutting or bending the leads. I have one that has been running for about 2 months on NIP Duracells that expired in March 2014.

I just dug up an old Minimag, have to figure out how to Yuji it.

With my Emisar D4S, BLF Q8, orange 2D Mag with a red/orange Luxeon III, Surefire lego with an N62 500 lumen bulb and many other lights why am I so fascinated by a 7 lumen light?
Thanks for this picture. Now I can see the differences in size. However, they are pretty similar, except the width and shape of the glass.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Did not run a pair of fresh primary lithium AA's for very long but the amount and quality of light was impressive indeed.
Also used a piece of wood and copper foil strip to make a dummy battery with a 10440; not a good idea. The emitter turned color in a bad way. I turned it off quickly and it was OK. It's funny because 6Volts (pair of 2016's) is Ok in a Photon pinch-flashlight, being significantly brighter than a single 2032 battery. Guessing low current/capacity of coin cells matters.

By-the-way, decided to take the turquoise emitter out of the Minimag and installed it in a vintage Photon Freedom with covert nose; much better with the 6V making the tint what it is supposed to be.
Lithium coin cells cannot hold high current and it isn't the voltage that kills LEDs but current. The lithium coin cells will cave at current draws that could fry a 5mm LED just as 4 AG13 button cells will (also 6v).

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody been able to source narrower yujis?

Nope. They 5mm version is a standard size. They don't make a 3mm version.

They can be installed in an incandescent Maglite Mini by bending the pins and widening the hole in the bottom of the reflector, however.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I was ambiguous. I meant a narrow beam than the 60 degrees which seem to be prevalent.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, got it. The 45 degree version seems to have sold out first. It's a bit narrower, but I don't expect it's a very large difference.

In a Minimag, there might actually be an advantage to the 60 degree if you want throw, because a higher percentage of the light will hit the reflector.

It might also be possible to use a TIR to tighten the beam from the Yuji a bit.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I've been looking for a vampire for half drained AAs. Now if I can find a bunch of incan AA minimags and some bare LEDs...

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking for a vampire for half drained AAs. Now if I can find a bunch of incan AA minimags and some bare LEDs...

Craigslist, fb marketplace or eBay for the minimag. Check out the For Sale section on that other forum, there is a person selling some leds which compared very favorably to Yujis in tests.