Minimag 5mm nichia gs

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Post reserved for updates)

Consecutive days running never shutting off Since April 9, with Yugi 5mm in a Maglite 2D: 90

I have terminated this test due to boredom. There is still usable light coming out of the front. I estimate in the 4-6 lumen range.
Read this post again the other night and decided I'm gonna try to do this. Figured it's a great way to get my Dad's old 2d Mag back in action. Trying to source at least one warm Yuji and then I'll pull the trigger on the bi-pin adapter.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Post reserved for updates)

Consecutive days running never shutting off Since April 9, with Yugi 5mm in a Maglite 2D: 90

I have terminated this test due to boredom. There is still usable light coming out of the front. I estimate in the 4-6 lumen range.
Sourced some warm Yuji leds and have a bipin adapter en route. Excited to give this a go. My Dad's old 2D Mag is sitting on my nightstand with a couple of fresh Rayovac cells popped in and ready to go. I won't bother doing any sort of runtime test as this setup has been shown to run forever. LeanBurn are you able to post a beam shot of yours? Curious what to expect as far as beam goes and how different it will be from the stock bulb.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Sourced some warm Yuji leds and have a bipin adapter en route. Excited to give this a go. My Dad's old 2D Mag is sitting on my nightstand with a couple of fresh Rayovac cells popped in and ready to go. I won't bother doing any sort of runtime test as this setup has been shown to run forever. LeanBurn are you able to post a beam shot of yours? Curious what to expect as far as beam goes and how different it will be from the stock bulb.

Let us know how it goes. Where did you get you bi-pin adapter?

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got this off of Amazon

Attachments

• IMG_3013.png
    IMG_3013.png
    1 MB · Views: 94

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the adapter and I'm still waiting on the Yujis, so in the meantime I plugged in an old photon led. Works just fine. A little flickering when I spin the head to adjust the beam, so I may need to play with it some more. Also ordered (finally) an orange peel reflector from Kai Domain and a glass lens. I'm officially ready for the Texas power grid to go down again this winter now that I have never-ending light. 👍🏼
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yujis have arrived. Thanks Nascar! Now just waiting on the reflector and lens from Kaidomain. Probably going to look for a used incandescent Mag for a good price to use for another Yuji runtime monster. Maybe a 2xaa but I'm really liking the idea of the insane amount or runtime off of 2D batteries. Open to host recommendations. Maybe something that is already bipin so I don't have to buy another one of those. I'll post photos once I get the rest of the goodies.

EDIT: Just found the bi-pin thread so I'll continue there.

Last edited:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did not run a pair of fresh primary lithium AA's for very long but the amount and quality of light was impressive indeed.
Also used a piece of wood and copper foil strip to make a dummy battery with a 10440; not a good idea. The emitter turned color in a bad way. I turned it off quickly and it was OK. It's funny because 6Volts (pair of 2016's) is Ok in a Photon pinch-flashlight, being significantly brighter than a single 2032 battery. Guessing low current/capacity of coin cells matters.

By-the-way, decided to take the turquoise emitter out of the Minimag and installed it in a vintage Photon Freedom with covert nose; much better with the 6V making the tint what it is supposed to be.
Take a 14mm dowel rod and drill it in the center.
50mm long.
Now put a resistor inside the dowel with a screw on positive that emulates a aa + contact.
And screw with wide flat head on the - end.
Select resistor to get target current.
Drop it in the minimag along with a 14500 li ion.